Sorry To Be Crude...But Groans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Blackburn, U.K.
Do males only 'groan' if there actualy doing the job of mating? Or do they groan as soon as ontop of the female, (She sits there looking depressed..''Not again'') Is he doing the job right if he grunts he is very loud, or is this just what they do as soon as they get on the female? Thankyou"!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's just a normal part of tortoise breeding.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Yepp i know that, but does he grunt automatically or is it when theyre actualy making ''sexual intercourse'' as i wish to know if he is mating her or just attempting too! hehe :)

Thanks for reply

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It can be both or neither. Sometimes they grunt just when mounting and humping away, sometimes they don't. Whether they are "completing" the act, or not, does not seem to matter.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Tortoises sure do not seem to believe in quiet sex... or what the neighbors think. :rolleyes:

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
According to a study on marginated tortoises by Sacchi et al. (2003), the reason male tortoises are so rambunctious and noisy during sex is that it demonstrates fitness to females, rather like antlers on a buck, mane on a lion, or brawn and brain in humans.

Also, according to this study, the shorter the duration of calls, the more likely was the mounting successful. I guess if they keep calling, they have not successfully copulated yet. So, if the calling lasts only a short time, that's an indication that the intercourse was successful:

"Mounting success was also highly correlated with courtship intensity, measured as number of bites and rams given to females before mounting, and with number of calls emitted during mounting. Finally, mounting success was negatively related to call duration."

http://www.springerlink.com/content/glthv51hypy2h56e/fulltext.pdf

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Jacqui said:
Tortoises sure do not seem to believe in quiet sex... or what the neighbors think. :rolleyes:

I do there an old couple..Dont' want them getting the wrong idea!
And wow thanks 'GeoTerraTestudo'

Status
Not open for further replies.