Soon to be owner, planning a table now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
Thanks to the help of the lovely people on TFO I have decided on a Greek tort as my first. I want to get a hatchling so I'm planning and getting everything setup before I order so he can come home to the perfect cozy home. Really, I'm looking for more information about lighting, ideas for the table in a space restricted area (at the moment), also, opinions of what everyone thinks is best.

This is what I knowing am planning so far...
The table will be 2x4. It seems pretty consistent that that size is good for an adult Greek. I will probably go bigger when the space allows though. I can't keep him outside for many reasons, but weather permitting I can take him to the yard area my apartment has to let him soak up some rays.
Substrate: I'm getting mixed reviews on. I think I might do a 50/50 mix of topsoil and sand. But does that hold in to much or to little humidity??

Lighting: holy mackerel, this is where it's confusing for a newbie. Here's what I've gathered, I need a basking lamp. No prob. Also, I need UVA and UVB lighting. So a full spectrum fluorescent bulb? What is this I'm reading about a mercury vapor light? Those give uv light and heat, if I'm reading correctly. So will I still need a basking lamp? Also, I keep my apartment at about 70 degrees year round, so will I need a nighttime bulb for a Greek?

Sorry for all my questions, I've just become obsessed with making this the perfect home for him when I find the right breeder/place to get him from!

Laurie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saratoga County, New York
Good job doing some research before getting your tortoise! A 2 x 4 table should last pretty long if you're starting with a hatchling. I am not sure if this will be large enough for an adult, but you will have some time. I'm glad you're thinking of getting him/her outside, weather permiting, for some time in the sun. It really does them a world of good.

I'm not a fan of using sand mixed in with the topsoil, but others use it and like it. Theres nothing wrong with it and it will just come down to personal preferance for you. It should hold in your humidity just fine.

If you choose to use an MVB light, you will not need an additional heat light. It is an all in one bulb. Again, this will come down to your preferance, I'm still trying to decide if I want to continue using one. I've read some things suggesting they weren't the best way to go due to the concentration of the beam causing uneven heating of the torts shell. Here is a link with some information about it http://www.tortoisetrustforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8079
I'm still using my MVB lights while I try to read through some information supporting both sides. You shouldn't need any night time heating.

Don't be sorry for asking questions!! It's how we ALL learn :)

I

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
Thanks for the link! I'll start to read up more on MVB.

What substrate do you prefer? I was thinking the topsoil and sand just because it's going to be readily available no matter where I move next year. But if something else is readily available, I'm definitely open for change.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
I like to use coco coir. Some people find it messy. I find it holds in the moisture pretty good, I have to add water to it about once a week or so to keep underneath nice and moist.
There is no right answer for what kind of substrate you choose. Topsoil/sand will work just fine, as will a few other things. You just have to find one that you think works best for you. I found choosing a substrate very difficult because I couldn't get a straight answer as to what to use. Now I realize it all comes down to what you prefer.

Q'sTortie

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
You can use coco coir. It's hold humidity very well and doesn't mold. You can get it in pet stores or online as compressed bricks. I bought a value 3 pack at Petsmart for around 7 bucks. I'm sure that will fill your enclosure along with topsoil mixed in.

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
Q'sTortie said:
You can use coco coir. It's hold humidity very well and doesn't mold. You can get it in pet stores or online as compressed bricks. I bought a value 3 pack at Petsmart for around 7 bucks. I'm sure that will fill your enclosure along with topsoil mixed in.

Is that what's made out of coconut husks?

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
So, I went to petsmart on my lunch break today (I work next door). I was getting some lighting stuff, and in my hurry I think I grabbed the wrong bulb. The compact fluorescent are bad for their eyes, yes? I'm perfectly fine returning it, just want to double check.

This is what I got, I saw the combo pack and was overcome with merchandising advertisement. Haha

image-307565842.png

tortoisefanatic

5 Year Member
Yep, return that bulb. I would not use that kind. I would either use the MVB (yes, I'm also reading up on the temperature gradients produced by these) or a tube type fluorescent bulb.

Alan

Mjdeisher said:
So, I went to petsmart on my lunch break today (I work next door). I was getting some lighting stuff, and in my hurry I think I grabbed the wrong bulb. The compact fluorescent are bad for their eyes, yes? I'm perfectly fine returning it, just want to double check.

This is what I got, I saw the combo pack and was overcome with merchandising advertisement. Haha

View attachment 26315

Status
Not open for further replies.