soon-to-be first time tortoise owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasha

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Edgerton, Minnesota
Hi everyone, my name is Sasha Dapron. I joined the forum about a month ago when I decided now is the time to get my tortoises I've always wanted. I built the table last night, got it set up, and planted, now just waiting for everything to grow in and my 2 redfoot tortoises (Uma and Chubs) will beable to come to their new home.

The table looks small but I have a plan.
This table is 1 1/2' x 3' It is the small starter enclosure since they are only going to be about 2 inches when I get them.
When they get to big for table 1 (this table) I will build Table 2 (3'x4') and table 1 will stack on top as a 2nd level.
When table 2 (3'x4') gets to small I am going to build a 7'x4' table and table 2's main floor (3'x'4) will stack on top of that and become table 3's 2nd level and table 1 (1 1/2'x3') will become the ramp for table 3.

Since I'm new to this any critisism is great appritiated.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome Sasha! So a long awaited dream of yours is finally coming true! :D That is so great. How are the temps and the humidity holding?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
WELCOME :D Love the plan ahead no wasting table plans. If you post your whole set up, temps, humidity, substrate, etc., the members can let you know if there is any tweaking needed before your babies come. Good luck with them. They will steal your heart right away, prepare:D

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
What kind of Tortoise are you thinking about getting?

sasha

5 Year Member
Edgerton, Minnesota
It seems the picture I was trying to post didn't post with the original post. So here is the first table.

Attachments

• 001PICNIK.jpg
    001PICNIK.jpg
    441 KB · Views: 37

sasha

5 Year Member
Edgerton, Minnesota
Jacqui said:
Welcome Sasha! So a long awaited dream of yours is finally coming true! :D That is so great. How are the temps and the humidity holding?

I haven't set the gadges in yet, thinking sometime this week I will be putting them in, I will let you know then.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
do you ahve the wood sealed or lined with something to keep the moisture off it?
good start.. when do the babies arrive?

sasha

5 Year Member
Edgerton, Minnesota
wellington said:
WELCOME :D Love the plan ahead no wasting table plans. If you post your whole set up, temps, humidity, substrate, etc., the members can let you know if there is any tweaking needed before your babies come. Good luck with them. They will steal your heart right away, prepare:D

I don't have the gadges set up yet, but hopefully sometime this week. I will post them when I get them up. I used cypress and spagnum moss as a substrate and I put just spagnum moss in the hide for them to burrow into it a little easier. I have the flat rock for feeding, and a shallow dish for water (not in cage yet) I have lettuce (in enclosure) , grass (in enclosure), marigolds (in enclosure), petunias, pansys, sage, spinach, kale, collard greens, turnip greens, nasturtium, prickly pear cactus, and x-mas cactus planted for them. I also don't have the light up yet, but I am using a 10 inch metal done with ceramic, and a t-rex active UV heat 100 watt flood lamp.

Laura said:
do you ahve the wood sealed or lined with something to keep the moisture off it?
good start.. when do the babies arrive?

I have tiles at the bottom and about 3 or 4 inches up the sides. The substrate is right on that line. I wanted to keep the parts we were going to be seeing untiled. They will arrive the 2nd week in april, I am going on vacation and wanted to wait until after I get back to get them instead of having to find someone who knows something about them to watch them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sasha:

Welcome to the tortoise forum!!

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
NOTHING against turtle sale.com
but you can get nicer babies.....cheeper from this site:
http://tortoiseyard.com just go to "torts for sale"

I have 5 babies form Vicki and they are AWSOME!!
PLUS you get to "hand pick" which torts you want!!!!
:tort: :tort: :tort: :tort: :tort:

Either way...... best of luck to you and your little ones!

SORRY!!!

forgot to mention another forum member who breads pretty little babies!
I dont have any of these myself....but after looking at this site (http://www.redfootman.net/index.html )
I may just have to order one....or two....or three :p:p:p

SORRY!!!

forgot to mention another forum member who breeds pretty little babies!
I dont have any of these myself....but after looking at this site (http://www.redfootman.net/index.html )
I may just have to order one....or two....or three :p:p:p

Attachments

• Resampled_2012-02-22_18-25-19_297.jpg
    Resampled_2012-02-22_18-25-19_297.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 5
Status
Not open for further replies.