Soon To Be 4 Sulcatas in Virginia

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Several years ago someone stopped by here and gave me a young sulcata that they couldn't care for any longer. I gave it to a neighbor for their grandson that they are raising. With the housing market being a sellers market especially down here the owners of the house that they are renting have decided to sell it. They haven't found a place to move to that could house a sulcata. She is coming back here with me. It's not a problem I just need to section off a space for her in the yard.Picture 013.jpgPicture 014.jpgPicture 015.jpgWhen she got big enough she moved outside full time. I gave them one of my unused heated houses to use and will bring that house back for her. When they first got her they named it Leo and when it was big enough to sex they changed the name to Cleo. Last year I lost a long time older cat named Cleo so I'm going to name this tortoise Galloper.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Several years ago someone stopped by here and gave me a young sulcata that they couldn't care for any longer. I gave it to a neighbor for their grandson that they are raising. With the housing market being a sellers market especially down here the owners of the house that they are renting have decided to sell it. They haven't found a place to move to that could house a sulcata. She is coming back here with me. It's not a problem I just need to section off a space for her in the yard.View attachment 323552View attachment 323553View attachment 323554When she got big enough she moved outside full time. I gave them one of my unused heated houses to use and will bring that house back for her. When they first got her they named it Leo and when it was big enough to sex they changed the name to Cleo. Last year I lost a long time older cat named Cleo so I'm going to name this tortoise Galloper.
Love the last photo. What a smile on that face! Are you naming her after a car or horse's gait or what?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Several years ago someone stopped by here and gave me a young sulcata that they couldn't care for any longer. I gave it to a neighbor for their grandson that they are raising. With the housing market being a sellers market especially down here the owners of the house that they are renting have decided to sell it. They haven't found a place to move to that could house a sulcata. She is coming back here with me. It's not a problem I just need to section off a space for her in the yard.View attachment 323552View attachment 323553View attachment 323554When she got big enough she moved outside full time. I gave them one of my unused heated houses to use and will bring that house back for her. When they first got her they named it Leo and when it was big enough to sex they changed the name to Cleo. Last year I lost a long time older cat named Cleo so I'm going to name this tortoise Galloper.
She is beautiful! Nice job, and what a sweet face

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I thought "Trotter" would be the next one.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
They did a great job raising that one.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Next.....Canter !

The canter and gallop are variations on the fastest gait that can be performed by a horse or other equine.
I thought "Trotter" would be the next one.
Most people don't know how fast a sulcata can run. This is a pic of a race from several years ago.racers.jpg

Len B

10 Year Member!
Cleo came back today. She is now Galloper. No signs of the move bothering her at all. She has been grazing on grasses and weeds and eating the foods I've offered her. Picture 011.jpgPicture 008.jpgPicture 012.jpgI built this house for Sylvia a adopted Sulcata after his owner passed away. Galloper has used it for several years now.Picture 013.jpgPicture 010.jpgIn preparation for her return I removed the hedge on that end of the yard for more and longer daily sun light. Over the past few years I have gotten remarks (complaints) from people saying that they couldn't see Walker from the road anymore. I have already gotten many complements for the removal of the visual barrier. Sometimes it's the little things that matter.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Cleo came back today. She is now Galloper. No signs of the move bothering her at all. She has been grazing on grasses and weeds and eating the foods I've offered her. View attachment 324328View attachment 324329View attachment 324332I built this house for Sylvia a adopted Sulcata after his owner passed away. Galloper has used it for several years now.View attachment 324330View attachment 324331In preparation for her return I removed the hedge on that end of the yard for more and longer daily sun light. Over the past few years I have gotten remarks (complaints) from people saying that they couldn't see Walker from the road anymore. I have already gotten many complements for the removal of the visual barrier. Sometimes it's the little things that matter.
She must know she's back home. So cute, she is!! Will she be driving the boys wild??

Len B

10 Year Member!
Here's some pictures taken today, a beautiful spring day. Galloper is big enough to eat dry mazuri so I'm using less water to wet what I offer her. Dry mazuri is easier to feed during the winter months here. I can hear her crunching the dry centers already.Picture 007.jpgEating a mix of home grown leaves and weeds. She likes to be hand fed so I at least feed her something by hand daily.Picture 008.jpgDonald catching some filtered sun.Picture 002.jpgWalker just relaxingPicture 005.jpgThomas was pretty active todayPicture 009.jpgPicture 011.jpgweighed herPicture 001.jpg

Len B

10 Year Member!
Found this pic of Galloper and the little boy that had the responsibility of her care. Actually his grandmother made sure that she had the proper living conditions. As he got older (he's now a teenager) he took on more responsibility. Logan ans Cleo.jpgI was involved with her care which was easy because they lived right across the street from me. They did everything I suggested and I think they did a fine job raising a sulcata in a cold climate area.

Len B

10 Year Member!
And this afternoon eating her dinner which consisted of cut with a mower, lawn grasses, weeds and mulberry leavesPicture 004.jpgPicture 008.jpgIn a short time she had finishedPicture.jpgI have been feeding fresh cut mower cut grass and weeds for several years. They would eat at it during the day but not much at one time. A while back I was going to loan the mower to a friend for a few days so I cut enough for several days and stored it in the fridge. When I

Attachments

• Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 11