Soo... when will it stop hiding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivyna J. Spyder

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
My baby redfoot had a good first day home this Tuesday, nibbling on some salad (and rocks) but since then it has hidden in one of its hides and not come out at all as far as I can tell, aside from the occasional peek. D:

(For the record, temps are in the 80-90 range, humidity in the 70-80% range.)

So what point is 'hiding too much, start worrying'? I don't have a good idea of how active a baby tortoise should be or how long is normal for them to get settled in.

How often should I take it out to make sure it's okay at this point?

LindaF

5 Year Member
I've had my baby for 7 months now. All he does is hide. When he was in his outside bin he would come out twice a day, but inside he rarely comes out when indoors. I take him out of his hide once a day if he doesnt come out on his own to eat, drink, get a good spray, and for a health check. I also use this time to freshen up his hide by spraying the moss to make sure it is damp. He does peep all the time. I put his food dish where he can see it from the hide and if it is something he really likes he will come out on his own. Yours is still so young give him some more time. Hiding is what babies do, and he is probably scared of his new surroundings. The transition to a new home can be very stressful for these little guys. Give him some time. In my opinion the less you handle him right now the better. Put the food where he can see it and he will come out if it is nice and quite. Welcome to the wonderful world of torts. I had the same question on hiding until I was told that's what babies do.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its another one of those "individual tortoise" things. Some are very outgoing and others just hide all the time.

Gentle handling helps a bit. But when you hold the tortoise be sure to support the whole tortoise, don't just hold it between thumb and forefinger like he's flying. They don't like to fly!

On a side note...did you ever tell us your name? Or is it Ivyna? And how about where you are? It sometimes helps us with our answers when we know where a person is located.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
My two Cherryhead babies hide most of the day, that's just what they do. Ruby (the older one) is much more social then Eddie so she'll come out more often. Dale my 6 year old (WC) is not too social and likes to hide. If their enclosure is 85 degrees mine do tend to come out more. If there's too much light they won't come out at all. They like it filtered or just less of it. :) If I want to know how they are doing I just lift up the hide and look at them. If I feed them in the morning and they don't come out I will lift the hide and physically bring them out to eat, but I don't handle them much (especially the babies). How old is your baby?

Ivyna J. Spyder

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Oh I go by Ivyna online, and I'm located in Maryland :)

The baby is about three months according to the breeder. Young, but I've raised other reptile species from even younger babies without a problem, I find it just means feeding more frequently. :p

So it's okay to take him out and put him by his food in the morning at least, just no excessive handling for now? Good to know. I'll see about using more fake plants to filter the light too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ivyna:

With babies, when I get up in the morning, before I do anything else, I get my dish pan with warm water and put all the babies in it under the light. Then I go about my morning wake-up routine, brushing my teeth, maybe a shower, get dressed. This takes me about a half hour. Then I fix baby tortoise breakfast and place it at the feeding station. Once the food is placed, I put all the babies in front of the food and get out of sight.

Throughout the day, every time I walk past the habitat, I'll bring the babies out and put them in front of the food.

The food is all gone at the end of the day.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
I also have the same question but I realized I just have to be patient. I have had my hatchling since July now and he hides all day. In fact I have to take it out to soak it and hand feed it everyday. I don't think my tort is shy or scared of me because its head is always out once I physically take him out. I do think it is just their instinct to hide. It makes sense because they have lots of predators in the wild.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
My older Cherry Head (3 yrs old) didn't come out much, except in the morning to eat and then again in the late afternoon to finish what was left of his food. The new baby that I have is so different. He comes out as soon as he see's me coming with the food, eats, walks around a bit, goes to the water dish, climbs on top of his hide, goes back down to eat more, and finally goes up on top of his hide and stays there all day until late afternoon, then goes down and finishes all the food and then in his hide for the rest of the day. He is much more active and friendly then my first one. So I guess they all have different personalities.

lincoln3313

5 Year Member
Good topic, and just in time. I was going to start a topic on this exact subject, but....here it is...

My Gpp eats, sleeps, soaks, poops, pees, rinse and repeat. He RARELY leaves the burrows of his substrate or his hide, but is fine. Just had a check up with the vet (who is a tort owner), and he says he is very healthy! Up to 49 grams. Of course, when there is absolutely NO CALORIE BURNING activity, I guess he would have to put on weight!!!

Glad "Scutes" is not the only tort laying low!

Status
Not open for further replies.