Sonnes new home!!! KINDA PIC HEAVY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Dakota
heres the start to finished look well ALMOST finished!!
121911153218.jpg

122111153751.jpg

122111165850.jpg

122111171243.jpg

122111171253.jpg

122111171339.jpg

121911235518.jpg

i know there is a few things i still NEED to do but check it out!! oh and one of the first things is putting up some gard rails on the ramp lol but he has NO, ZIP, ZERO interest in it as of now lol ok guys its time for you input!! thanks!! i have some sphag moss on its way i ordered it a few days ago and also he has gained 117g since ive owned him! (6-7wks) holay!!! :tort: ask away!!!!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
RE: Sonnes new home!!!

I was gonna say you need sides on the ramp but after reading the post I see you already know that, lol..

Looks good so far..

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
RE: Sonnes new home!!!

dalano73 said:
I was gonna say you need sides on the ramp but after reading the post I see you already know that, lol..

Looks good so far..

yeah.. im not so sure what to use or how to secure rails on there b/c the ramp is so thin....i will figure it out though!!! :) thanks :):tort:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
How quick did he learn to use the ramp? Pretty tortoise too by the way. :tort:

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
Jacqui said:
How quick did he learn to use the ramp? Pretty tortoise too by the way. :tort:
[/quote

he didnt... he is to scared!! lmao i duno how long it will take him to learn.... its only his first day in the new place so we will see!! :tort::p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like it. You might need to make the ramp longer so that it is less steep. I needed 8' to make a gentle enough slope to drop a little under 3'.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
One option would be to lower the second level down to just an inch or so above the height of his shell. That would give him a nice place to hide, and perhaps the ramp would be at a lower slant.
You can get square wood dowel rods at places like Home Depot. Cut a piece for each side of your ramp on the underside and then you can screw on wood sides (which don't have to be thick).
Nice job!!!! You could try adding a spider or pothos plant in a sturdy pot in the middle.
He will love it. play around with the ramp and soon he will be going up and down.

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
nikki0601 said:
Sweet!! And awesome tort too.. Whats that black thing in there?

the black thing is a clear tupperware that i govered in black tape for his humid hide and it works very well :) way better than the half log that he came with :D

Tom said:
I like it. You might need to make the ramp longer so that it is less steep. I needed 8' to make a gentle enough slope to drop a little under 3'.

i noticed that to.... i made a bit of a hill under the ramp to boost it up a bit but i think its to steep still.. things to learn n play around with might just change the ramp all together make one a bit thicker to easily put side rails on ;) i hope he likes it:tort: its way bigger

lynnedit said:
One option would be to lower the second level down to just an inch or so above the height of his shell. That would give him a nice place to hide, and perhaps the ramp would be at a lower slant.
You can get square wood dowel rods at places like Home Depot. Cut a piece for each side of your ramp on the underside and then you can screw on wood sides (which don't have to be thick).
Nice job!!!! You could try adding a spider or pothos plant in a sturdy pot in the middle.
He will love it. play around with the ramp and soon he will be going up and down.

that might be the easiest way to lower the slant is to shorten the legs that is what my husband and i were talking about earlier ...and i have a big aloe plant coming hopfully tomarrow:D and i have tons of seed planted and sprouted but not big enuf to put in there yet! i cant wait to get all the finishing touches on it! thanks for all the input guys/gals!!!!!!!

Melly-n-shorty said:
wow sonne has a awesome home now!!! congrats!
CtTortoiseMom has a fairly thin ramp. for her leo. maybe it could give you some ideas? here is a link to the thread where she posted pictures. if you scroll down you can see more pictures were posted further down. i love her tort table.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Leia-s-favorite-spot#axzz1hEabJk5t

looks like she just screwed her sides on... the piece i am using is a bit thinner than i noticed on hers.. i may have to change the board completly wich i fine i was never really partial to what we hade to use for a ramp being most of the pieces are scrap or things she had in her garage lol things will get worked out:) thanks for your input!!:D

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
the good thing about the ramp issue is that i put it on there wit ha hidge so i can fold it up untill i get it just right n dont have to worry about him falling :tort:

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I think that your ramp needs to be a bit longer. I usually go 1:4 So, if the platform is 8" high, the ramp should end up 32" from the base. The ramp length would be about 36" then. Also,an easy way to make it non-skid, it to just staple a shingle to the top. Even if it's wet or muddy, it will still feel stable.If you close off the front of the platform, it can be used as a hide as well. Beautiful leopard also.

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
ok so i made a new ramp. its not perfect but much better.. i do not own any electric tools so all my cutting i had to do was with my mini hand saw... lol i am proud of what the verdict was(even if some things are not exactly perfect.) lol i will post pics tomarrow my laptop is acting funny n wont load any pics up..:D so watch for my post ;):p:tort:

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
ok here is the b4 and after of the ramp.
ok the ramp b4...
122111171339.jpg

the ramp right after i rebuilt it and just attached
122211212209.jpg

a side view ...
122211212154.jpg

he got all freaked out lol so i put his substrate on the ramp and he is much more comfortable i think :rolleyes:
122311012701.jpg

122311013554.jpg
so what do you guys/gals think?! its better right? with the substrate on the ramp he will actually go up it if i put him on i.t but b4 he wld just back the hell outa there lmao!!:rolleyes: oh and i added his half log to for an extra hide but hes to tall and gets a lil stuck sometimes lol and also the lady who was going to sell me here aloe plant bailed after she found out i was going to feed them to my tort! ... pple lol so im still waiting for a few plants to show up :rolleyes:

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
It looks really nice. I haven't read all the post but if you put the MVB on the second story she will have a reason to venture up there. Put some treats on the ramp leading up. It will probably take a couple of weeks. You did a fine job!!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Your ramp looks great! I really like the slant now.
With the substrate on it, he will be using it all of the time, before you know it.
If you leave the MVB where it is for basking (is it close enough?), you could just use an incandescent bulb, say, 75w, on the upper level. I use a clamp lamp fixture, with a small 'C' clamp through the clamp to secure it to the side.
I actually have my upper level just lined with newspaper with a piece of tile on top, makes it easy to clean, keeps food out of the substrate for bug control. I feed him up there and he charges up every morning to get ready.
Nice job!

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
lynnedit said:
Your ramp looks great! I really like the slant now.
With the substrate on it, he will be using it all of the time, before you know it.
If you leave the MVB where it is for basking (is it close enough?), you could just use an incandescent bulb, say, 75w, on the upper level. I use a clamp lamp fixture, with a small 'C' clamp through the clamp to secure it to the side.
I actually have my upper level just lined with newspaper with a piece of tile on top, makes it easy to clean, keeps food out of the substrate for bug control. I feed him up there and he charges up every morning to get ready.
Nice job!

with the basking light its 160watts and ranges from 95-105 depending on how warm i keep my room.(this am i checked it and was 110 but also noted that my kids cranked my heat onto high!!) i can adjust it though if its not warm or to warm i can raise or lower it.. i have a 60 watt CHE comin in the mail any day i hope :) for night time b/c right now all i have is a red 250watt heat bulb and it gets pretty toasty in my room with that AND my heat on LOL so we will see how this works. i do have an extra 75watt basking bulb and clamp lamp i might try it n put it up top. thanks for all the input pple!!!!! i love this site!!!:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.