Sometimes you have to take a lot of steps backwards....

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I have been seriously working (in between other projects) to create a new enclosure for my sulcatas in an old horse lot. When I started, the weeds were taller then me and trees and bushes had taken over, too. Some were (hidden well) I have pictures of what I started with.

Last Sept I was to this stage...

This is the front from the street, showing the first half or third all cleaned out. Notice how thick (even thought at this point the taller trees and a lot of the weeds were out) those small bushes are in the background.

Fast forward to a month ago and this is how it was looking...

The very back corner and the very last brush pile and stumps to be removed. Those deadish things in the background are the small mulberry trees not yet leaved out for the season. Stinging nettles were sprayed and dying. A huge bag of orchard grass and one of red clover were tossed out and about.

I had collected the tires from my family and the ones that would be the bottom layers were spray painted green ready to be placed out around the old stumps too big to mow over (where currently I have those red flags)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The current look :(...

At the entrance there was a nice growth of clover...

Every tree sports this new look...

Tree roots exposed.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Man that sucks . I wish I could help you .

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Me too! I could use some muscles around. If you notice how thick those white fence post boards are, I can barely move the things and one of them ended up about a block away. This section of flooding is more just frustrating, because of all the money, time and sore muscles I put into it. I was soooo close to being able to get the boys out here while I finished things up. I only had fencing to go. I always liked the look of that white fence. Going to look so bare, when I put it. :(

Unlike this area, the home place, with it's enclosures is where there is the added sentimental loss coming from.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You don't have to remove the fence ,just fix it.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
What would have happened if the tortoises were there? Washed away? Upside down in a ditch? Count your blessings. Cup half full not half empty. :)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
What would have happened if the tortoises were there? Washed away? Upside down in a ditch? Count your blessings. Cup half full not half empty. :)

This is an enclosure I am working on. The second I had word that we could flood, first thing I did was bring the tortoises inside. The current usage enclosures also got flooded and damaged. I am well aware it could have been worse for me and my village.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Oh man. How heartbreaking for you. We had tons of flooding here in Texas, are you close? I would TOTALLY come lend you a hand. Not even joking. I love your space. You had it looking so fantastic and it will again. (Seriously though, if you are remotely close I am happy to help with clean up! It would benefit me by giving me ideas for Tuleo!)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Too bad you guys couldn't send some of that water to CA.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
It's funny how we have gas pipe lines ,but no water pipe lines.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
That's terrible! We've had a mess of flooding here too but nothing like that.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
First, I want to say that you have a beautiful piece of property!!! It really sucks your hard work was ruined but there is a light at the end of the tunnel and you will get back soon.
Is that the water line that is on the barn and white post?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow Jacqui, I am so sorry. That was really looking so nice. You did so much on it. Glad though that's all it was, and everyone is okay.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi Jacqui, and very sorry to have 'heard' what happened after so much hard work. :(

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Oh Jacqui I am so sorry that all your hard work has gone to waste and I hope you can find the strength (and the muscle) to carry on with it - such a lovely piece of land, your torts will love it.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Oh man. How heartbreaking for you. We had tons of flooding here in Texas, are you close? I would TOTALLY come lend you a hand. Not even joking. I love your space. You had it looking so fantastic and it will again. (Seriously though, if you are remotely close I am happy to help with clean up! It would benefit me by giving me ideas for Tuleo!)

I am in Nebraska. ;)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
The current look :(...

At the entrance there was a nice growth of clover...

Every tree sports this new look...

Tree roots exposed.

OMG Jacqui, that is devastating. How high did the flood level get to? Was this a freak of nature or has it happened before?