Sometimes it is hard to like humans

Status
Not open for further replies.

7oasty23

5 Year Member
I've been an avid golfer for 20 years, and I have never seen anything remotely like this on a course. These were bad people, who also happened to play golf, don't judge an entire community on a few bad apples.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
7oasty23 said:
I've been an avid golfer for 20 years, and I have never seen anything remotely like this on a course. These were bad people, who also happened to play golf, don't judge an entire community on a few bad apples.

I have some family and friends who are also avid golfers, and they are very decent people. For one of them, however, it's amazing how much he bets on the outcomes of his games!

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
7oasty23 said:

I figured this was the case. I have known several people who were golfers and they seemed like nice people, but my one experience kinda ruined it for me, not that I am any good any way. :) LOL

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
GeoTerraTestudo said:
mctlong said:
Isn't golfing suppose to be a relaxing, peaceful sport?

You'd think. But it seems to be stressful on many players, who keep trying to improve their game. And given that golf is often used as a business networking tool, and I think quite a few people are not there for the love of the game.

If it's true that some golfers also torment animals and other people on the course, then perhaps the character of golf and some of its players should be rethought. But I guess that's to be expected from a sport that requires huge tracts of land to be converted to lawns. :(

I been golfing since I was a kid, and I've golfed in many areas, courses and states. First off not all golfers are mean people that are just looking for something to kill or animals to beat up on. Just cuz someone has did a crime doesn't mean all other golfers are the same. As far as a sport taking up a whole plot of land to give evil golfers a place to play is a wrong fact. If you look at golf courses a lot of them were built on unused land lots, I've played on some that were built on landfills and now provide areas where animals actually live and habitats where they can live and not be in a high traffic area. Golf courses add water features and a lot of the times try not to take to much from where they are building it. Lots of wildlife on golf courses, and it's not ruining areas for animals but probably helping them more then hurting.

Ps: I still golf a one of the courses that use to be a trash site for the city for a long time, it eventually was a huge mound of trash and couldn't add anymore to it, they ended up making 27 whole course on it and its not rare to see deer, turtles, rabbits, birds of all kinds on that course now a days .

haidao88

5 Year Member
That's true on college most of my dorm mates that had businessmen and doctors as fathers, often tell me that they are pressure into playing golf in order to get a chance of bettering their connection, because in reality a lot of people follow the motto "who you know rather than what you know" true to some extent.

My tortoise Peach hates apples
Mario loves Peaches
0.0.2 redfoot

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
So, so sad! My inlaws live on their favorite hole at their favorite golf course and I know a lot of the people in their club and I cannot imagine a single one of them doing anything like this!! My inlaws have an aligator problem near the water holes, I wish this new story would have ended with a Farmtor charging the folders and getting a few limbs.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Millerlite said:
I been golfing since I was a kid, and I've golfed in many areas, courses and states. First off not all golfers are mean people that are just looking for something to kill or animals to beat up on. Just cuz someone has did a crime doesn't mean all other golfers are the same.

Agreed, naturally.

Millerlite said:
As far as a sport taking up a whole plot of land to give evil golfers a place to play is a wrong fact. If you look at golf courses a lot of them were built on unused land lots, I've played on some that were built on landfills and now provide areas where animals actually live and habitats where they can live and not be in a high traffic area. Golf courses add water features and a lot of the times try not to take to much from where they are building it. Lots of wildlife on golf courses, and it's not ruining areas for animals but probably helping them more then hurting.

Ps: I still golf a one of the courses that use to be a trash site for the city for a long time, it eventually was a huge mound of trash and couldn't add anymore to it, they ended up making 27 whole course on it and its not rare to see deer, turtles, rabbits, birds of all kinds on that course now a days .

If that's true, then I would be very pleased, and transforming landfills sounds great. However, aren't a lot of golf courses very concerned about keeping their thoroughfares closely clipped and clear of weeds? That would make it harder for deer to feed on the grass and other ground cover. Also, don't courses drive away Canada geese and other water foul from their ponds?

Back in Tampa, there was a course with an adjacent woodland, where lots of wildlife lived. Also, there were alligators in the ponds, which was pretty frickin' cool. :) Otherwise, though, don't golf courses generally have a reputation for not being very wildlife friendly? I've only golfed a few times in my life, but I'd really like to know, because if I'm wrong, I just might reconsider my position and get into golf.

abclements

5 Year Member
I don't see why golf courses wouldn't be "wild life friendly" I know lots of people (myself included) that love seeing wildlife on the course! Typically there are wooded areas surrounding the open golf course and on the course I play, it is not uncommon to see a couple deer, all kinds of birds (including some owls if I'm playing twilight golf), and the little forest creatures (chipmunks, squirrels...) and I can't say I've seen anybody aiming for them either...

Sent from my LG-P769 using TortForum mobile app

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
The course yes it's trimmed, but beyond the rough grass they don't maintain it ob is pretty wild on some course, not all courses have wildlife but a lot the ones in the te Midwest were surrounded by woods and had all kids of wildlife, yes golf course takes part of it away but I do see deer drinking out of the ponds, and retreat back to the woods. It's a lot better then putting a housing track on that same plot of land. Or better then taking a plot of land and making a stadium or super dome on the piece of land...

As far as the landfill the one I live next to is riverridge golf course, it's right next to the practice fields for the Dallas cowboys , nice course difficult and plays like a links course with te beach being not to far

Oh and in mammoth there are some really nice golf courses that are built into the woods, great golfing up north

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Karma will claim this perp. My predictions. He will never hit a hole in one. He will most often not clear the water obstacle. All reptile will unite against him. And I'd like to help the reptiles decide the punishment.

ulkal

5 Year Member
@Sterling Thunder, I love that you went after them to show them that this is not the Roman Empire.

Maybe if they tried to put the ball in the holes instead of targeting people and animals, maybe their handicap would improve. Their business partners would be super impressed and think them fit to rule the world with them. Demonstrations of power by hurting others, who they think can't defend themselves, would be unnecessary, because their sublime handicap would distinguish them as elite anyway. If the poor kids whose parents money forces them to follow their parents' path and play golf just could use their stocks to do what they want they would not need to hit turtles in frustration after Dad criticised their swing.

I apologize to all the nice golf-players who just thoroughly enjoy the sport for my generalization. And to all businessppls who are decent. And kids with rich parents. ;)

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Lol, that was funny, I been golfing since 7 and still till this day I'm not that good, haha and I'm about the poorest golfer you will know, hand me down clubs and all. It's all about the beer and being outside doing something for me. I know I'm not no tiger woods even tho my friend an I will yell tiger tiger woods y'all every now again. It really is a fun sport when you don't take it tooooo serious. I know one to many people that get frustrated because they thought it was easy to hit a ball.

Funny side note, friends and I see other golfers with the latest and greatest clubs all new everything ( golf clubs are expensive) and they can't even play, we have used old clubs and can hit better, only if I had those new and forgiving clubs... Maybe I would be decent haha

ulkal

5 Year Member
Millerlite said:
It's all about the beer and being outside doing something for me. I know I'm not no tiger woods even tho my friend an I will yell tiger tiger woods y'all every now again. It really is a fun sport when you don't take it tooooo serious.

Haha, agreed. Recreational sports are not only about competition and asserting your status, but foremost about fun, relaxing, hanging out with friends, being around. If you remember that (even during a business sport meeting), the chance that you feel the need to compensate lack of skills by hitting people, squirrels, turtles etc. is pretty small.

Once in a while,a moderate slap against your own forehead when you messed up is o.k. I guess.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Golfer who did this to this precious animal. You will pay before you burn in hell. You do not get to leave this earth without paying for this. Karma needs to be paid before you are 6 feet under. Jerk.

Demons walk amongst us.

EKLC

5 Year Member
abclements said:
I don't see why golf courses wouldn't be "wild life friendly" I know lots of people (myself included) that love seeing wildlife on the course! Typically there are wooded areas surrounding the open golf course and on the course I play, it is not uncommon to see a couple deer, all kinds of birds (including some owls if I'm playing twilight golf), and the little forest creatures (chipmunks, squirrels...) and I can't say I've seen anybody aiming for them either...

Sent from my LG-P769 using TortForum mobile app

Problem with golf courses is that the pesticides and fertilizers make it not very wildlife friendly. Plus clearing the land to make it in the first place isn't helping anything. Thousands of gopher tortoises have died due to golf courses. A biologist down here told me that during the construction of a local golf course, the resident gopher torts were collected, but all died after release.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
A bunch of gopher tortoise in fl were killed because of a shoppin mall being built, they didn't even remove them from there dens. It's not only golf courses it's just everywhere we are building we take away from tortoises and turtles.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: A Turtle was found beaten at a golf course in Wisconsin. She died two days later

The article was already posted a couple days ago. Too bad the poor thing.:( Wished it could have mad it through:(

Pond_Lilly

5 Year Member
Tampa, FL
RE: A Turtle was found beaten at a golf course in Wisconsin. She died two days later

I hope they will find who did it. This is absolute horror. Who would have done it? Beating defenseless turtle like that??

Status
Not open for further replies.