something wrong with sulcata's mouth

wbrandy08110328

I'm a first time tort owner. Only had my tort a lil over a month. Somethin wrong with my torts mouth. Maybe a abscess i'm nor sure but i'm embarrassed to say i can't afford a vet. I need any advice or any ideas possible please?!

20160112_112456.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
We won't be able to offer any advice without being able to see what you're talking about.

It's really too bad that calculating in the costs of making a habitat, electricity and vet bills isn't figured in at the beginning of, "I want a tortoise."

We'll try to help you, but we'll need to see what has you concerned.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome can you get a close up photo for us ?

wbrandy08110328

We won't be able to offer any advice without being able to see what you're talking about.

It's really too bad that calculating in the costs of making a habitat, electricity and vet bills isn't figured in at the beginning of, "I want a tortoise."

We'll try to help you, but we'll need to see what has you concerned.
You can see it. Its right there its the lighter raised area on the right if his mouth. And i did calculate his costs in and i take very good care of lil Franklin. Thats what my kids named him. I have 2 boys. I just didn't have any idea he'd get an abscess. But...Any ways i talked to a vet and he mixed me a bottle of chlorhexidine which is a medicated soap to help dry it up before it really developes and gets hard. And he did this no charge! Its lonestar veterinarian in lufkin, tx. Nicest people ever. Really helpful and only worried about the animals well being and they do all animals! I gave him his first soak today. I'll keep ya posted though cuz all criticisms and advice is welcome...i learn somethin new everyday. And ive had boxies before and this my first torti.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Glad to hear that you got the help you needed from the vet, but that picture really isn't clear. For future troubles (because we all eventually have questions about random things happening to/on our tortoises, try and take a nice, clear close up picture so we can help!

wbrandy08110328

Top pic is wen i first noticed it andbthe bottom is after soaking him for a week. He still hasnt eatin but every 3 days i chop up spring mix really fine and mix with warm water and give him at least half of it with a really small syringe so he doesnt get lethargic. Today i did notice a thick white thing in the corner of his mouth where the abscess is and i managed to get it out wit a fingernail pusher...a lil stick with the pointy end and flat end....i think it was the abscess itself and it just let loose! He still as of today aint eating and he mostly sleeps. I do get him out and we sit in the sun in the floor and he wakes up and explores for about 10 minutes or so but he's done after that. I tried to apply for care credit with no success and im still embarrased to say i cant afford an actual vet visit but im still in communication with the one who was helpin. He just recommends the soak and prayers now cuz he needs to see him so please please please dont criticize me for not calculating in costs ok cuz i already feel bad enough! I love animals i actually nursed my dog rowdy through parvo...i doctored him for a week and never left his side and kept him hydrated by givin him 2 syringes of pedialyte every hour 12 hours a day and some during the night. Im fully committed to this lil tort too but i need and suggestions possible. I dont know should i let him rest....should i keep him active.....should i let the humidity drop since he has and abscess or keep the humidity higher? Is antibiotic ointment on the site ok for him??......anything that anyonr can suggest please tell me. Maybe a rescue near center texas which is actualy east tx area code 75935...ive googled and googled and googled with no luck. Please...i really live this lil guy and im not givin up on him just cuz im broke!! I have heart and that counts for somethin!

Attachments

• 160118_091348_COLLAGE-1.jpg
    160118_091348_COLLAGE-1.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 52

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Can you post pics of his enclosure and heat and uvb sources you are using please? There may be something that needs changing to make sure your tort stays happy and healthy and pics will help members give the best advice. The best way to avoid vets bills is to make sure you have his diet temps humidity, the right lamps and substrate etc set up correctly.
There will probably be a caresheet under the species section which will tell you all about those things; the Beginners Mistakes thread (link below) is good for learning about the do's and don'ts and the Enclosures thread has lots of ideas. So try to read as much as you can and ask as many questions as needed someone will get back to you in good time.

wbrandy08110328

This is what i have him in for now but i have this old game table im gonna make for him later too. Im tryin to upload more pics but its slow bare with me...

Attachments

• 20160122_145956.jpg
    20160122_145956.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 37

wbrandy08110328

Ok uvb bulb and fixture from zoo med. And better pic of set up and the other products i bought for him along with the box the infrared light came in. And i normally keep temp between 90 and 100 degrees and humidity between 50 to 80 percent. Its a lil lower right at the moment cuz wen i soaked him and did the lettuce puree in the syringe i cleaned up some in his tank but i just took these pics and you see hes just kinda layin there but he clearly was in his water at one point. The substrate is the coconut coir stuff that comes in a brick.

Attachments

• 160122_151436_COLLAGE-1.jpg
    160122_151436_COLLAGE-1.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 160122_151520_COLLAGE-1.jpg
    160122_151520_COLLAGE-1.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 28

Bducks16

5 Year Member
forest grove, oregon
Your uvb bulb will cause eye problems and even blindness. It's a 5.0 which doesn't put out enough uvb. You need a fluorescent 10.0 uvb tube or a mercury vapor bulb that will have heat and uvb. Also your temp. Humidity gauge is notoriously inaccurate.

Last edited:

wbrandy08110328

Your uvb bulb will cause eye problems and even blindness. It's a 5.0 which doesn't put out enough uvb. You need a fluorescent 10.0 uvb tube or a mercury vapor bulb that will have heat and uvb
I open the curtains by his tank everyday and he gets at least 5 or 6 hours of actual sunshine everyday...does that help any to balance it out?

Bducks16

5 Year Member
forest grove, oregon
With that much natural sunlight he shouldn't need a uvb bulb. Also your temp. Humidity gauge is notoriously insccurate

wbrandy08110328

Its easy in that 10 gallon tank. It has a top that covers most of it so it stays really warm and i just spray wit a mist sprayer once a day. The abscess is my problem though he won't eat because of it and i think he might not make it. I feel so guilty for not researching possible illnesses and sickness they can get. But like i said i been forcin spring mix chopped real fine and mixed with warm water in his mouth with a really small syringe. But the abscess isnt gettin better. Ive been soakin him in chloehexidine 2 rimes

Bducks16

5 Year Member
forest grove, oregon
At the top of the sulcata section there is a thread for raising a healthy sulcata. Everything is answered there. A ten gallon tank is way to small. You can get big plastic sweater boxes at Walmart or target for a few dollars. Or a rubber maid plastic storage tub.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I open the curtains by his tank everyday and he gets at least 5 or 6 hours of actual sunshine everyday...does that help any to balance it out?
Glass filters out UVB so unfortunately you are going to need to invest in a better UVB light (No compact fluorescent lights, coil or otherwise). In the mean time if you can spend supervised time outdoors on warm days it should help.