Something seems off

Snapshotmartin

Location (City and/or State)
Nottingham
So far we haven’t been doing so good. Not very active barely touches food I’ve seen a few bits once and just sits in a corner facing the wall. I’ve covered food in cucumber juice watermelon juice offered Mazuri a large variety of weeds and grasses just not interested. I don’t stick around it’s in its own room i bath him by bringing the tub into the enclosure to minimise stress and literally only touch to put in and take out. Everything else is completely hands off I’ve settled In torts before and bred tegus for some years and something just doesn’t seem right to me. Also hasn’t passed a stool. Just seems crazy that it felt comfortable enough to get some food down it then sleeps out in the open for 36 hours straight and hasn’t budged atall.
cool side 82
hot side 88
basking spot offers 95-105
humidity is 80-84% with a 100% hide
t5 12% 39w uv strip at 30cm
75w flood bulb on an evo stat
150watt ceramic set at 82 for night heat (colder house in UK)
fine grade orchid bark
water bowl
food bowl
black plastic tub flipped over with a hole cut out for hide on cooler end.
Closed chamber set up with minimal air flow but ensure a 30 min air exchange while soaking

i understand they need adjustment time but ordinarily within this time I’d expect to see some small degree of exploration and at least active during a warm soak
i kind of believe as the baby is captive bred transitions shouldn’t tend to result in long periods of lathergy and refusal to eat or move so I’m a little stumped. Maybe it’s a sulcata thing or maybe it just is yet another case of the dry start making the poor things life harder than it needs to be.
i was a silent studier of this forum while getting prepared to go from my leopards to get a new baby sulcata but given I was in the UK breeders of Sulcatas are like rocking horse doodoo and eventually went for this C.B. specimen but I don’t know if I’m getting worked up for no reason or I have genuine reason for concern.
its supposedly 5-6 weeks yet still arrived with its egg tooth which stumped me and weighs 40g
the soaking pics are on arrival and normally this is done in the enclosure.
im now soaking in reptoboost which is a vitamin and mineral supplement with electrolytes to ensure some degree of nutrition
any advice or conversation would be appreciated and will not fall on death ears
thanks martin

167AA0AD-EC41-493D-8AD0-DA678E444BB5.jpegAE449AE5-EF07-4FBD-AE6E-0C92C52CBCF0.jpegA3648CA9-006A-4E18-84BE-D1B1B9666A40.jpeg974CF2C2-1B74-4756-BCA2-C5716216420F.jpeg2F97E701-AFBD-4CB2-8CDF-2D3DF5D6E953.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hey, Martin:

It sounds like you're doing everything right. And yes, it is unusual for sulcatas to be that shy. They usually are ready to go, go, go, right out the gate! Until he gets started eating on his own, try putting the feeding tile right in front of the mouth of his cave so he doesn't have to come out to eat. Hopefully some of our other members will have some advice for you. I'll tag @Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Martin. I can see from the plastron photo that your baby was not started correctly, and this is not a surprise since most of the care advice given for this species from vets, books, experts and breeders is all wrong.

The chronic dehydration they offer from as babies cannot be undone no matter how perfect your enclosure and parameters are. There is not much you can do other than what you are doing. Your heat and humidity sound spot on, your routine sounds good, and your baby doesn't look too bad at all. Based on looks and the given time frame, I would expect this baby to pull through in time. Just keep doing what you are doing and wait.

It is also normal for babies to be shy and hide a lot. Everything in the wild wants to eat them. I find that most sulcatas get much bolder and more outgoing around the 3-4 year old mark.

Reactions: ISU

Snapshotmartin

Nottingham
Hi Martin. I can see from the plastron photo that your baby was not started correctly, and this is not a surprise since most of the care advice given for this species from vets, books, experts and breeders is all wrong.

The chronic dehydration they offer from as babies cannot be undone no matter how perfect your enclosure and parameters are. There is not much you can do other than what you are doing. Your heat and humidity sound spot on, your routine sounds good, and your baby doesn't look too bad at all. Based on looks and the given time frame, I would expect this baby to pull through in time. Just keep doing what you are doing and wait.

It is also normal for babies to be shy and hide a lot. Everything in the wild wants to eat them. I find that most sulcatas get much bolder and more outgoing around the 3-4 year old mark.
Yeah well I respect your opinion as I e been following your post and replies for a while. When Ive gone in to check just now its back in the same corner but has eaten a considerable amount off of the plate So at some point has been for a tour, hop as time moves on things will get a little better. Also weighed in at 44grams today so that’s a positive, hopefully we can push past the 100grm mark soon enough and the new tissues and cells will grow to offer the correct functions it needs to grow.

Reactions: Tom