Something interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I know of people who do this both in real life and online, I have to say I am still unsure about it, but it seems to work, I only hope she wouldn't keep food in there myself.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I used to use old non-operable fridges, laid on their backs for this. It works really well. I'd put a 1/4 inch tube between the door and where it sealed for a little ventilation. I never did it with one that was actually on and using electricity.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
"ever-warming climate" Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha! What a bunch of nonsense.

-Matt

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
matt41gb said:

-Matt
I saw that but decided not to comment on it.

tomn

5 Year Member
norcal
My eight eastern hermanns/dalmations are in the fridge now. I have had very good luck with this method. Very easy to control their environment. I use a ranco digital thermostat to overide the fridges thermostat for better control of the temp. Mine are also in plastic containers not just hanging out on the racks. I believe this is somewhat of a staged picture also

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
dmmj said:
matt41gb said:

-Matt
I saw that but decided not to comment on it.

I almost didn't because I didn't want to get off topic. It was just too tempting. lol

-Matt

EricIvins

5 Year Member
I really don't see why some think this is bad or a problem?........

This is a widespread practice.......Especially with keeping temperate Tortoises in warmer climates.......

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I know many, many people who hibernate their box turtles this way. I have never done it, as I always left mine outside, but all the one's I know of, have great succes.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I considered doing this with my box turtles cause they didn't really hibernate here. I think I would do it differently like put them in boxes or something instead of right on the shelf. Some of it I think is kinda funny, like the ones in the shelves on the door walking around there.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
Yes,...the climate comments are laughable.

I think it talks about the torts being individually wrapped in towels while hibernating.

Great photo though, have to admit I feel like some of the torts on the top shelf with my legs dangling through the grates some days....hahaha.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Wait a minute...I should have explained myself better. All the people I know who do this, have a refrig. just for this purpose, and all the boxies are in boxies, with mulch or leaves inside the boxes. Some have smaller boxes inside bigger ones, for better air curculation. I have never heard of anyone putting them on shelves like that, or putting them in the same refrig. that they have their food in.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
I've heard about using the crisper for this, but not the whole fridge. Love those poor little guys with their legs dangling down though, they were the first thing I noticed in the picture :) However, I don't sleep in the most "comfortable" positions either so I'm sure they're fine in their own way.

Sure looks like a lot less than 75...

Status
Not open for further replies.