Something came out my tortoises tail

SiobhanWebb

Location (City and/or State)
Brechin
Hi guys, so I gave my little tort a bath, and noticed she had something poking out of her tail. First time I’ve ever seen this. I thought it may be a little tort wee wee so took her to a reptile center to find out if my she was in fact a he. But nope, she’s definitely a female. So does anyone have any idea what this thing could have been? I don’t currently have any pictures but it it happens again I’ll take one. Thanks for any info

SiobhanWebb

Brechin
How did the Reptile Center ID as a female? I’ll bet you have a boy!

They checked the shape of the shell and size of the tail. Even before I handed her over the woman was adamant she’s female which confused me even more!

SiobhanWebb

Brechin
This usually happens in the bath when adolescent MALE tortoises start to "grow up."

That’s what I thought was happening! It’s never happened before and thought she might be a male coming into himself. I’m going to wait til the next bath to see what happens, if anything

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
That’s what I thought was happening! It’s never happened before and thought she might be a male coming into himself. I’m going to wait til the next bath to see what happens, if anything
This has just happened to one of mine aswell. I’ve got a little boy now.

Is the tortoise eating, pooping, peeing ok? Sometimes things get complicated and they end up pushing something out while straining.

SiobhanWebb

Brechin
This has just happened to one of mine aswell. I’ve got a little boy now.

Is the tortoise eating, pooping, peeing ok? Sometimes things get complicated and they end up pushing something out while straining.

She pooped while being bathed, I thought she might’ve strained herself too hard and had nothing left in her but I wasn’t sure

SiobhanWebb

Brechin
Hi guys, so I gave my little tort a bath, and noticed she had something poking out of her tail. First time I’ve ever seen this. I thought it may be a little tort wee wee so took her to a reptile center to find out if my she was in fact a he. But nope, she’s definitely a female. So does anyone have any idea what this thing could have been? I don’t currently have any pictures but it it happens again I’ll take one. Thanks for any info

Just so everyone knows, she’s 5 years old if that helps

SiobhanWebb

Brechin
That sounds ok to me. His he/she doing ok?

Can you describe what you saw?

She seems to be her usual happy self, doing her usual thing, what I saw literally looked like a poop, but it was attached to her body and seemed slimy

Terrapin 3

Surprise
Depending on her age, if she's mature enough. You can always tell the gender by checking the plastron (under shell), if it's concave its a male, if it's flat it's a female. From the pictures, the tort looks like she is in fact a she. Same things happened to mine before when I gave them a bath!

SiobhanWebb

Brechin
Depending on her age, if she's mature enough. You can always tell the gender by checking the plastron (under shell), if it's concave its a male, if it's flat it's a female.

It’s flat, which begs the question, what came out of her tail? [emoji848] seems to be doing her usuals with ease so whatever it was hasn’t stopped her from her usuals

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hopefully it isn't anything like this but keep an eye on her to make sure it goes back in and she isn't prolapsing.
You may want to google that and/or use the search facilities here to compare with what you saw.
Can you post pics of her enclosure?