Someone please help... (lethargic baby)

Michelle85

Location (City and/or State)
San Jose Ca
Hello my name is Michelle and I have have 2 baby sulcata's Tortoise one is Dixion and the other Michael Angelo they were born in April 2015. I have noticed that M.A is getting a little bigger the shell is getting darker and he is very active as for Dixon I don't seem to see any difference in size or color of shell. The main thing that concerns me is the last few weeks she has not been very active at all. She stays in one cornor tucked in her shell. When I put food down M.A eats right away but Dixion will not move I put aside Food and she will eat it eventually but not much of it. I also noticed M.A will kinda bother Dixion it looks like he tries to bite her sometimes. This all just started a few weeks ago so now I'm wondering If I need to separate them and is that why Dixion has been staying tucked away in her shell? Should I be concerned about her growth and color of her shell? I can use all the advice I can get. I'm new to this and to be completely honest having Tortise's is not as easy as I thought. I'm very attached to them and willing to do whatever I need to do.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Read up on tortoise bullying. That is what is happening here. Tortoises do not do well in pairs. Seperate them asap and your little one will improve.

Alaskamike

South Florida
I would not be concerned about the color of the shell - as long as it's not soft anywhere.

It is our human nature to buy these guys in pairs - after all we like company , so we assume they like company. But in the wild they separate quickly and avoid others.

You say you're attached now , I get it , but even if you separate them and they grow , time will increase the attachment. These guys can get large as you know - very large.

If you could bring yourself to part with one , imagine the much more space and quality environment you could provide for the other the throughout his life. :)

Good fortune to you

Michelle85

San Jose Ca
Thank you guys so much for the responses. I did look up Tortise bullying and that is exactly what is happening. I did seperate them I just hope it's not to late for Dixon. Today she is not even moving I put food for her and has not eaten any of it. I'm hoping in the afternoon when the sun Is out I'll see a difference.

Michelle85

San Jose Ca
I would not be concerned about the color of the shell - as long as it's not soft anywhere.

It is our human nature to buy these guys in pairs - after all we like company , so we assume they like company. But in the wild they separate quickly and avoid others.

You say you're attached now , I get it , but even if you separate them and they grow , time will increase the attachment. These guys can get large as you know - very large.

If you could bring yourself to part with one , imagine the much more space and quality environment you could provide for the other the throughout his life. :)

Good fortune to you
I was just thinking about this. When they are ready to be in the backyard I would have to seperate them and I do not think I have room for that. I do need to consider finding a better home for one of them

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Michelle, and welcome to the Forum!

Put Dixon in a smaller hospital tank and increase the overall temperature to about 85F degrees. Cover it to keep the warm air inside. Give him a hiding place. Then soak him daily in a half and half mixture of warm water and Gerber strained carrots. Once he starts becoming more active, you can move him into a bigger, well planted habitat.

Michelle85

San Jose Ca
Hi Michelle, and welcome to the Forum!

Put Dixon in a smaller hospital tank and increase the overall temperature to about 85F degrees. Cover it to keep the warm air inside. Give him a hiding place. Then soak him daily in a half and half mixture of warm water and Gerber strained carrots. Once he starts becoming more active, you can move him into a bigger, well planted habitat.

I will pick up some gerber strained carrots today and put her in a smaller tank with more heat. Thank to do much

Tactical Tort

5 Year Member
Northern CA
This should really help. When my tort was young I kept it on hand.
Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place. Lots of great help and support here. :)
Keep us posted