Some yellowfoot love...

jtrux

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
We don't see too many YF threads so I thought I would start one on my new addition.

I picked up this little fella for two reasons.

1) Size and growth potential - it's very big for it's age and is growing rapidly. I think (hope) she will be a monster YF.

2) Possible female - even though split scutes are not a guarantee, there is an increased likelihood that it will end up being female and that works out better for me in the long run.

Also, a comparison pic next to my 6" Gpb (likely female as well).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have 1.2.3 YF tortoises and they're all the smaller variety. I wouldn't mind getting a couple of the larger variety. But they'd have to just fall into my lap, as I don't go actively seeking out tortoise purchases.

Your new little girl is a beauty, and I love split scutes.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I'm gonna have to bring her in for the rest of the week. It got rather cold last night (36) and it's supposed to be like that throughout the week so I'll bring her in until it warms back up. The Gpb is rather tank-like and seems unaffected by cold weather but I am going to bring her in at night.

The problem that I've seen when leaving them out at night during cold weather (here in S. Texas) is that the dew point is somewhere in the 40's, so when the temp dips below that the air becomes saturated and the excess water vapor condenses heavily onto the ground. The ground becomes quite soggy, combine that with the high relative humidity and cold air and you have the potential for problems. If I lift up the hide, the ground is dry, indicating that the air temp inside the hide remains above the dew point. That's great and all but the Gpb insists on sleeping out in the open so I will bring her in during these next few cold nights.

Yvonne - I never really look for them either but they have always appealed to me. When I first saw this one I wanted it but held off. After looking them up a little more, I decided I wanted it.

Barb - Thank you. She is very personable as well. Much more than my Gpb, actually. The Gpb is rather aloof in my opinion, not wanting to have anything to do with anybody.

mikeh

5 Year Member
The temp inside the hide is most likely very close to outside. Perhaps a negligible amount higher due to torts heat mass retained from the day, and/or a wood hide would have retained for few hours into the night. This on its own may very well be enough for the condensation not to occur as the object needs to be cooler then air temp. However, for the most part moisture saturated air needs direct contact to horizontal surface to settle onto or condense on. In the hide there is no "direct" contact. At least this is my understanding. Please correct me if I am wrong.
I think tort being exposed to night/morning dew is great for shell hydration during WARMER nights. She knows what she is doing to keep her shell smooth:).
I am still trying to recreate night time dew in indoor enclosure. So far I have only been successful in creating morning dew.

Btw, great looking yellow foot. She does look big and the numerous split scutes give her nice unique look as well. Good call on bringing them in. At what low temp you do leave her out?

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I'm ok leaving them out into the 40's as long as it is not raining. If its raining I will bring them in once the temp gets into the low 60's.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Both your torts are gorgeous.
I am really getting interested in the yellowfoots!

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Wow you leave them out in the 40s? I bring mine in at 60 regardless of raining or not. I believe I am a bit north of you in Georgetown, but you have given me something to think about. They are both nice looking. My female YF is around 13 inches

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Re: RE: Some yellowfoot love...

DixieParadise said:
Wow you leave them out in the 40s? I bring mine in at 60 regardless of raining or not. I believe I am a bit north of you in Georgetown, but you have given me something to think about. They are both nice looking. My female YF is around 13 inches

Pics?! More pics of yellowfoots please!!

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
She is testing out her new enclosure by trying to climb up this big root from a large heritage live oak tree.

Attachments

• IMG_20140507_191227.jpg
    IMG_20140507_191227.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 39

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
Beautiful! I originally ordered a yellow foot but they were out so I got my red foot... It was fate cuz I love my little'un. <3 ;)

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I went outside this morning to water down the enclosure and I noticed an odd pile of leaves that I hadn't noticed before.

I lightly brushed some leaves back to find her laying there. Later in the afternoon she was back in the same spot covered up with more leaves.

At night she retreats to a wooden hide in the enclosure but this appears to be her preferred daytime spot.

Attachments

• IMG_20140511_080745.jpg
    IMG_20140511_080745.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 23