Some Spine-Less Cactus

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
that can be grown in colder wet areas. I'm growing these opuntia in Virginia near the Potomac River a little southeast of Washington DC. I can't name them but they all have been growing here for several years thru some very harsh and cold wet winters.Picture 002.jpg1Picture 004.jpg2Picture 016.jpg3Picture 017.jpg4Picture 018.jpg5Picture 019.jpg6Picture 020.jpg7Picture 021.jpg8 . Number 1 is my favorite. I have started more of them this year in other areas. Number 5 is my second favorite for winter feeding because they stay more tender after natural dehydrating for winter rest. number 2 gets so tough even my adult sulcata has a hard time eating it during the winter months. 7 and 8 are good for the smaller tortoises because the pads are smaller. I have shared many of these plants with other forum members throughout the country but seldom do I ever hear how they fared out growing them. But here they thrive even with our unpredictable winter weather.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
that can be grown in colder wet areas. I'm growing these opuntia in Virginia near the Potomac River a little southeast of Washington DC. I can't name them but they all have been growing here for several years thru some very harsh and cold wet winters.View attachment 2996881View attachment 2996892View attachment 2996903View attachment 2996914View attachment 2996925View attachment 2996936View attachment 2996947View attachment 2996958 . Number 1 is my favorite. I have started more of them this year in other areas. Number 5 is my second favorite for winter feeding because they stay more tender after natural dehydrating for winter rest. number 2 gets so tough even my adult sulcata has a hard time eating it during the winter months. 7 and 8 are good for the smaller tortoises because the pads are smaller. I have shared many of these plants with other forum members throughout the country but seldom do I ever hear how they fared out growing them. But here they thrive even with our unpredictable winter weather.
I had mixed results. I think it was my lack of know how more than they failed. I have 2 in lots that are absolutely thriving. I'll post pics in the daylight.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
that can be grown in colder wet areas. I'm growing these opuntia in Virginia near the Potomac River a little southeast of Washington DC. I can't name them but they all have been growing here for several years thru some very harsh and cold wet winters.View attachment 2996881View attachment 2996892View attachment 2996903View attachment 2996914View attachment 2996925View attachment 2996936View attachment 2996947View attachment 2996958 . Number 1 is my favorite. I have started more of them this year in other areas. Number 5 is my second favorite for winter feeding because they stay more tender after natural dehydrating for winter rest. number 2 gets so tough even my adult sulcata has a hard time eating it during the winter months. 7 and 8 are good for the smaller tortoises because the pads are smaller. I have shared many of these plants with other forum members throughout the country but seldom do I ever hear how they fared out growing them. But here they thrive even with our unpredictable winter weather.
So i have a question and you obviously have the know how lol. I got some spineless in the mail and waited for them to scar, then potted them. I was going to wait a couple of weeks to a month to water the first time as was recommended, but we just had a severe thunderstorm today and they got lots of rain water on accident... Think they'll be ok? They've been in the dirt about a week maybe a week and a half.

Len B

10 Year Member!
So i have a question and you obviously have the know how lol. I got some spineless in the mail and waited for them to scar, then potted them. I was going to wait a couple of weeks to a month to water the first time as was recommended, but we just had a severe thunderstorm today and they got lots of rain water on accident... Think they'll be ok? They've been in the dirt about a week maybe a week and a half.
They should be fine this time of year. Personally though people new to starting cactus pads should just lay the mature pads on the soil whether in a pot or on the ground. and let it root naturally without a chance of rot. The pad will curl up some with a small area still touching the ground and the roots will start in their own in time. Also you should get more new growth pads to feed or let them mature to start more plants than planting a pad in the up right position like most people recommend. I have many plans growing right now from pads that I didn't pick up after trimming back some plants last year.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
They should be fine this time of year. Personally though people new to starting cactus pads should just lay the mature pads on the soil whether in a pot or on the ground. and let it root naturally without a chance of rot. The pad will curl up some with a small area still touching the ground and the roots will start in their own in time. Also you should get more new growth pads to feed or let them mature to start more plants than planting a pad in the up right position like most people recommend. I have many plans growing right now from pads that I didn't pick up after trimming back some plants last year.
Thats super smart! Makes total sense! I'm a first time grower of cactus(I can kill any plant ?) so i will definitely try that when I make more ? they are currently in an air pot so drainage should be good atleast

Len B

10 Year Member!
Thats super smart! Makes total sense! I'm a first time grower of cactus(I can kill any plant ?) so i will definitely try that when I make more ? they are currently in an air pot so drainage should be good atleast
I have no idea what an air pot is. It must be something new and I'm old.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Here are some pics of plants from pads just sitting on the ground.zPicture 003 copy.jpgzPicture 004 copy.jpgzPicture 005 copy.jpgThis one is part of one I dug up early this spring to replace with a spine-less plant and never moved it. hardly noticed it with all the weed growthzPicture 006 copy.jpg after weeds removedzPicture 007 copy.jpg

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Here are some pics of plants from pads just sitting on the ground.View attachment 299716View attachment 299718View attachment 299719This one is part of one I dug up early this spring to replace with a spine-less plant and never moved it. hardly noticed it with all the weed growthView attachment 299720 after weeds removedView attachment 299721
Oh wow! In some of those the bottom of the pad was still scarred. Did the roots grow from the middle of the pads??? ?

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Oh! And turns out my husband just hid the cactus pads and didn't throw them out yet! If you still wanted them I could send it out. I just don't know what the best way to go would be. Also, we'd have to be very careful since they are super spiney and angry lol

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yes. It's almost impossible to cause moisture rot by doing it this way.

So says the “cactus whisperer” of the Northern Neck of Virginia. ? Good tip there Len about laying pads horizontally on the ground/soil and letting nature work its magic. Ive had good luck with starting my new pads this year with Florida-direct spineless pads from @Ray--Opo . I think I started about 30 pads, and all but 1 has put up lots of new growth. Planting vertically in dry soil meant only had to use two pots. The one hold-out pad is still making up it’s mind, but remains firm & green. Just no new growth.

Like our poster from Oklahoma, I too had some early thundershowers that totally drenched my pots. One can only baby sit so many things. Anyhow, the multiple deluges didnt bother the growth. Lately we have had enough thundershowers that I won’t water at all Now for the rest of the Summer.

Once it gets time for freezing temps, I’ll bring those pots inside along with Sully. ? They can commiserate together.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have shared many of these plants with other forum members throughout the country but seldom do I ever hear how they fared out growing them. But here they thrive even with our unpredictable winter weather.

These are the pads you sent to me. The first three pictures are the next year after I planted them and the last three are current pictures of the same pads taken this a.m.:

Len's cactus a.jpgLen's cactus b.jpgLen's cactus c.jpg

Len's cactus 1.jpgLen's cactus 2.jpgLen's cactus 3.jpg

It's interesting to see how the first pad pictured half the pad died, leaving more of a 'trunk.' The very last picture shows a water starved plant. Gonna have to do something about that this a.m.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Oh! And turns out my husband just hid the cactus pads and didn't throw them out yet! If you still wanted them I could send it out. I just don't know what the best way to go would be. Also, we'd have to be very careful since they are super spiney and angry lol
So says the “cactus whisperer” of the Northern Neck of Virginia. ? Good tip there Len about laying pads horizontally on the ground/soil and letting nature work its magic. Ive had good luck with starting my new pads this year with Florida-direct spineless pads from @Ray--Opo . I think I started about 30 pads, and all but 1 has put up lots of new growth. Planting vertically in dry soil meant only had to use two pots. The one hold-out pad is still making up it’s mind, but remains firm & green. Just no new growth.

Like our poster from Oklahoma, I too had some early thundershowers that totally drenched my pots. One can only baby sit so many things. Anyhow, the multiple deluges didnt bother the growth. Lately we have had enough thundershowers that I won’t water at all Now for the rest of the Summer.

Once it gets time for freezing temps, I’ll bring those pots inside along with Sully. ? They can commiserate together.
This is the way I think. I would take one or two of those pads and plant them in separate pots, either plastic or clay. When it starts getting cold set them in a area where the winter sun shines most of the day and if possible under cover where rain can't reach them. set the pots on something so they don't absorb moisture from the ground. Just because they came from Florida doesn't mean that they can't take cold temps. Many can take the cold alone but can't take the cold and wetness at the same time. Here's 2 that I have kept in pots outside for years so last summer I planted a pad from each plant to test to see if they would survive. One looks like it did the day I planted it a year ago cPicture 002 copy.jpg and the other has one new pad. cPicture 005 copy.jpg Our winter was so mild I'm still not sure how hardy they are planted in the ground. Hopefully the red one has something going on below the surface.

Len B

10 Year Member!
These are the pads you sent to me. The first three pictures are the next year after I planted them and the last three are current pictures of the same pads taken this a.m.:

View attachment 299741View attachment 299742View attachment 299743

View attachment 299744View attachment 299745View attachment 299746

It's interesting to see how the first pad pictured half the pad died, leaving more of a 'trunk.' The very last picture shows a water starved plant. Gonna have to do something about that this a.m.
The ones I sent probably wouldn't survive your natural dryness over time. They do like water in the summer and tolerate it well during winter.

VegasJeff

Las Vegas, NV
So I heard people feed cactus pads to tortoises. Do you just chop one off and throw it in their pen or do you have to chop it up or something?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So I heard people feed cactus pads to tortoises. Do you just chop one off and throw it in their pen or do you have to chop it up or something?
Depends. Smaller tortoises have touble biting off pieces of the tough cactus, but large tortoises eat them with ease.