Some rookie questions on RedFoot

Cynosoura

Location (City and/or State)
McDonough, GA
OK - you guys are brilliant, definitely appreciate everyone's advice and thoughts on prior posting about Odin. Some developments and questions. One, it looks like he's developing some pyramiding of which I'm concerned; and a diet question.

First, here's Odin today at around 8-9 months:
IMG_20210225_065733_1.jpg
IMG_20210225_065709.jpg

And then the view that concerns me about pyramiding:
IMG_20210225_065729_1.jpg

He's about 3 3/4" shell, about 160 grams. Still one-eyed and audacious as ever.

And because it's most likely THE most critical...current setup - finally took everyone's advice and trying to move to a fully enclosed setup. That's being built now, but honestly the suggestion from this forum for indoor greenhouse? Made genius. Temps range in front left at around 95F to upper right at 85F with hide at around 78F. Humidity MUCH easier to control here (can y'all hear Tom yet?) at 80-85. Basking light (he does use it...mostly while hanging out in the water dish) on a timer, the CHE on a thermostat at 85F. The UVB is a Reptisun 8.0UVB. He hangs out near the CHE for about an hour after dining (not quite a dine and dash, more like a dine and waddle).
IMG_20210224_092357.jpg

So I'm thinking the advice from when I got him last July is still suspect and fear that the several months prior to this enclosure might have done him harm. Any thoughts?

Oh yeah - diet. Dandelions, Turnip Greens, Clover, red/green lettuce, parsley (a particular fav), Kale, Mustard Greens, and pretty varied veggies and fruit (kiwi and watermelon are his new favs...he'll pick these out first). Mazuri once a week, and a bit of salmon/tuna/egg/chicken on Sunday (about the size of his head...). The only other thing is that (again on advice) is daily spray of Zilla's Calcium Supplement Food spray (.17% Calcium). His shell is about 3 3/4 and weighs about 160-ish grams. Am I over-feeding? Too much calcium?

Or should I stop worrying and just accept that Odin might be a bit lumpy?

QUESTION ON FOOD: I ordered the Testudo Broadleaf mix and growing in an indoor grow rack. BUT - I used Miracle Grow potting soil. Will the fertilizers get into the plant? Haven't fed him anything from the first planter...but just realized might need to go 100% organic.

I can't say enough how much I appreciate this forum. I've learned more about proper tortoise care here than the "expert" that advised me on how to care for Odin. He's my bud and want to make sure doing everything I can to make sure he's given every opportunity to thrive. SO thank you in advance for any of your thoughts and observations!!!

FYI - in the process of building out his backyard enclosure - 10x20 and should be ready to go here in a couple months...Georgia weather has been a bit on the miserable side of late.

THANKS EVERYONE!

Attachments

• IMG_20210224_092357.jpg
    IMG_20210224_092357.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 6

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
OK - you guys are brilliant, definitely appreciate everyone's advice and thoughts on prior posting about Odin. Some developments and questions. One, it looks like he's developing some pyramiding of which I'm concerned; and a diet question.

First, here's Odin today at around 8-9 months:
View attachment 319306
View attachment 319307

And then the view that concerns me about pyramiding:
View attachment 319308

He's about 3 3/4" shell, about 160 grams. Still one-eyed and audacious as ever.

And because it's most likely THE most critical...current setup - finally took everyone's advice and trying to move to a fully enclosed setup. That's being built now, but honestly the suggestion from this forum for indoor greenhouse? Made genius. Temps range in front left at around 95F to upper right at 85F with hide at around 78F. Humidity MUCH easier to control here (can y'all hear Tom yet?) at 80-85. Basking light (he does use it...mostly while hanging out in the water dish) on a timer, the CHE on a thermostat at 85F. The UVB is a Reptisun 8.0UVB. He hangs out near the CHE for about an hour after dining (not quite a dine and dash, more like a dine and waddle).
View attachment 319310

So I'm thinking the advice from when I got him last July is still suspect and fear that the several months prior to this enclosure might have done him harm. Any thoughts?

Oh yeah - diet. Dandelions, Turnip Greens, Clover, red/green lettuce, parsley (a particular fav), Kale, Mustard Greens, and pretty varied veggies and fruit (kiwi and watermelon are his new favs...he'll pick these out first). Mazuri once a week, and a bit of salmon/tuna/egg/chicken on Sunday (about the size of his head...). The only other thing is that (again on advice) is daily spray of Zilla's Calcium Supplement Food spray (.17% Calcium). His shell is about 3 3/4 and weighs about 160-ish grams. Am I over-feeding? Too much calcium?

Or should I stop worrying and just accept that Odin might be a bit lumpy?

QUESTION ON FOOD: I ordered the Testudo Broadleaf mix and growing in an indoor grow rack. BUT - I used Miracle Grow potting soil. Will the fertilizers get into the plant? Haven't fed him anything from the first planter...but just realized might need to go 100% organic.

I can't say enough how much I appreciate this forum. I've learned more about proper tortoise care here than the "expert" that advised me on how to care for Odin. He's my bud and want to make sure doing everything I can to make sure he's given every opportunity to thrive. SO thank you in advance for any of your thoughts and observations!!!

FYI - in the process of building out his backyard enclosure - 10x20 and should be ready to go here in a couple months...Georgia weather has been a bit on the miserable side of late.

THANKS EVERYONE!
Hello from a fellow georgian. 95 is too hot for a redfoot. Aim for 84ish thru out the enclosure. As for the Pyramiding that's a puzzling one considering your humidity is good. Others might disagree with me, but I'm willing to bet money your tortoises growth will smooth out a lot of you ditch the artificial UVB. If You can take your tortoise outside a couple hours a week that's enough UVB. You can replace the UVB light with LED lights. My Redfoots go the whole winter here in GA inside with no artificial UVB and they do fine like that.

Cynosoura

McDonough, GA
Hello from a fellow georgian. 95 is too hot for a redfoot. Aim for 84ish thru out the enclosure. As for the Pyramiding that's a puzzling one considering your humidity is good. Others might disagree with me, but I'm willing to bet money your tortoises growth will smooth out a lot of you ditch the artificial UVB. If You can take your tortoise outside a couple hours a week that's enough UVB. You can replace the UVB light with LED lights. My Redfoots go the whole winter here in GA inside with no artificial UVB and they do fine like that.
Thank you! That sounds so very reasonable when I see it written down. Will dial down the hot spot. Will work in getting him out of doors now that the weather has turned quite nice. Appreciate the tips!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I agree that 95 is too hot.
Lowering the temps might help keep up your humidity and stop the pyramiding from continuing.
Can you photograph or explain the lighting and heating you are using?
They can also play a huge part in pyramiding due to heat desiccation

Cynosoura

McDonough, GA
I agree that 95 is too hot.
Lowering the temps might help keep up your humidity and stop the pyramiding from continuing.
Can you photograph or explain the lighting and heating you are using?
They can also play a huge part in pyramiding due to heat desiccation
Absolutely - the basking light is a ReptiZoo Supersun UV 100W --> dialing that back down to a 75W (used to have that wattage, but it burned out...had a 100W from a friend that said, "Sure...that'd be fine!"). The other light is a 12" ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO. The CHE is a 75W. I should clarify that until last month...didn't have the greenhouse, only the plexiglass on the screen. As everyone here, and now I, know...a closed enclosure is really the only remedy. Averaging around 80-85% humidity with the greenhouse "cap." Hoping that can mitigate the pyramiding. Hadn't heard about potentially having too much UVB...but also very open to hearing of any/all suggestions! Definitely appreciate your taking the time!

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Its probably that basking light causing the problem. I just use a che to heat the enclosure. I block directly under the che with a cave or artificial plant so it minimizes the hotspot.

Cynosoura

McDonough, GA
Its probably that basking light causing the problem. I just use a che to heat the enclosure. I block directly under the che with a cave or artificial plant so it minimizes the hotspot.
AH! I'm seeing a theme here developing - stop with hotspots altogether. Move towards indirect heat that is globally, within the enclosure, more uniform. Definitely appreciate the advice. Thanks!