SOME PEOPLE

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I hope they don't just slap those low life brats on the wrist and let them go. There's two charges at least they should be charged with and they should pay dearly. Kids/people like that will do things like that aren't needed in this world.

Jrob

San Antonio, Texas
I agree Wellington. They start with a defenseless turtle . I hope karma gives them what they deserve. Kudos to the vet for trying to save the turtle.

Clawem

i had read an article were they put fake animals on the side of a road to see what happens a snake,turtle,rabbit etc. A very large percentage of drivers went out of their way to run over these animals. I don't remember the exact percentage. Some people are just sick.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/02/16/disabled-navy-veteran-beaten-after-defending-turtle.html

Two men and a teenager in Florida are behind bars after they attacked a disabled Navy veteran who was trying to protect a turtle that they were torturing, according to police and the vet's family.

Gary Blough said he came upon the group in Daytona Beach as they were taking the turtle and slamming it down as hard as they could on its shell. He asked them to leave the animal alone and then tried to help the turtle back into the water.

“While I had my head turned, two of them started hitting me in the back of the head and punching me," Blough told Fox 35. "Next thing I know we’re in a scuffle and I’m fighting three of them at the same time defending myself.”

(I would have posted this in the Articles forum but i have insufficient privileges.)

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Damn! What sick jerks! How could anyone be mean to a turtle....? That guy's eye is really messed up too....

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I despair, i really do.:(
Mind you, here it is generally considered acceptable behaviour for people to behave like that with animals, even your own pets.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
i had read an article were they put fake animals on the side of a road to see what happens a snake,turtle,rabbit etc. A very large percentage of drivers went out of their way to run over these animals. I don't remember the exact percentage. Some people are just sick.

I remember that article. Certain animals had different percentages, like the fake spider was the highest. BUT, I think it was an average of 2% of the people that drove by went out of their way to hit an animal. An estimated 2% of the population falls into sociopath category. Coincidence? I think not.

Oh, interesting aside, they also put the fake animals on the side of one road en route to a hunting lodge. There the percentages went up even higher. Figures.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
There is a gofundme page for this guy. Lots of good things are happening for him as a result of this incident.

Jrob

San Antonio, Texas
I remember reading many years ago an experiment with a snake and tortoise. Many people stopped to get the tortoise out of the road, while they ran over the snake. Some cop ran over it twice and was going to shoot it.

MayorMatt

Georgia
I was telling a guy at work about how I stop and move turtles off of the road. He laughed and said he and his whole family swerve to hit them because "it's fun when your car bounces off 'em". I spent the next 30 minutes assertively informing him on how horrible that/he is.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I was telling a guy at work about how I stop and move turtles off of the road. He laughed and said he and his whole family swerve to hit them because "it's fun when your car bounces off 'em". I spent the next 30 minutes assertively informing him on how horrible that/he is.
Thank you for trying ! But some people are to stupid to see how dumb they are !

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I
Oh, interesting aside, they also put the fake animals on the side of one road en route to a hunting lodge. There the percentages went up even higher. Figures.

Right. Because all hunters are knuckle dragging morons who kill every living thing in sight for reason and with with no regard for life or the environment…

Get a clue before you insult an entire class of people that you don't know.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Well, don't blame me for the study results. Look it up for yourself to see the exact statistics, but it definitely said numbers went up significantly for the hunting lodge road. Instead of 2%, it went up to, perhaps, 5-10%. So, I guess that would make 5-10% of hunters 'knuckle dragging morons who kill every living thing in sight for reason and with with no regard for life or the environment…' And PLEASE, I know a lot of hunters. A lot of them are great people, very conservation oriented. I also know a lot of them are irresponsible, poaching, drunk-hunt, gut-shot jerks. There's definitely a difference. So, in support of my initial statement: It figures. You can choose to be offended if you want, but I'm pretty sure you know the kind of people I'm talking about.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Oh, and Tom, you are the main reason I haven't been on the forum for the past 2 years. You have a response to everything that has nothing to do with you, and it's usually grumpy. Honestly, you are not very fun to hang out with.