Some Opuntia I Grow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Here are pics of some of the opuntia I grow planted in the ground all year a little southeast of Wash DC. in Virginia. All but 2 of these are used for the tortoises at different times of the year. I feel that there is an opuntia that can be grown just about anywhere in the US and parts of Canada. I have more, but they have been in pots or taken inside during winter, some of those are going to spend this winter planted in the ground to see how they fare with the cold and wet. That is how I find out which ones will grow here and not turn to mush. Some of these pics are of plants in pots but I also have that type in the ground. I can post pics of some of the potted plants later if someone in a slightly warmer climate would want to see them and maybe give them a try. I put a tape measure on one of these to show how big some of the pads can get, and the weeds are something I don't worry about this time of year, they make it easier to keep the soil moist so the plants produce more new growth for late fall rarly winter feeding from the plants that have some bigger spines, (the new growth seldom has spines) I leave the fruit on until it is to be fed.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
sueb4653 said:
do you pick the fruit when it is a deep red?
love your plants

not always, in fact some of them never turn red. I feed some with the bloom still on and open. a couple of these have very small seeds so I pick those for the smaller tortoises all summer.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Wow, that is a lotta cactus!
It is an extremely 'dertermined' plant. I only just started using it. Initially ordered from two different companies to compare.
It does seem that I got two different kinds. One is shinier than the other. I do want to grow some.
With so much, and only 3 juvenile torts, I had to keep it from drying out. So got a large plastic kind of picnic cup and put dirt in the bottom and propped them all in there, root end down. It was only days before I pulled another pad out to serve it up, and the darn thing was completely rooted.
I have a garden window and it is about to become a cactus growing window.

Ann from CT

Status
Not open for further replies.