Some of the Deformed Rescues That Have Come My Way

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't know the story behind some of them. There were three like this turned in by the same keeper:

2013 Rescue #8, 9 & 10 b.jpg2013 Rescue #8, 9 & 10 f.jpg
2015 Rescue #49 & 50 c.jpg

This one was bruned by the light or CHE being too close to the shell:

2017 Rescue #19 b.jpg

This one was dog chewed:

2018 Rescue #5 a.jpg

This one is Bondo, James Bondo. He was hit by a car, taken to a vet who used bondo to close up the shell:

Bondo, James Bondo 5-17.jpg

This baby box turtle was hatched without a lower jaw (I don't think this one was mine - probably a picture off the Forum:

box turtle no jaw.jpg

Pyramided leopard:

Bumpy and Leonard 10-8-19 a.jpg

Deformed box turtles turned in by the same keeper:

deformed box turtles 3-20-12 b.jpgdeformed box turtles 3-20-12.jpg

I don't remember this one being one of mine - probably a picture off the Forum:

found a.jpg

This Russian was dog chewed. I don't know how these two pictures ended up side-by-side, but I can't figure out how to separate them. The sulcata is a picture off the web showing damage done by another sulcata:

injured sulcata a.jpgkeratin regrowth 1.jpg

This is Larry. His gular was chewed off by a dog, and when it healed new skin grew over the chewed off shell, and the skin that grew was leg skin with leg spurs. This was VERY interesting to me:

larrys gular 'legs'-2.jpg

Lil' Kim came to me from SoCal. I've kept him and he doesn't look near this bad anymore (three years later):

Lil Kim 1-11-20 b.jpg

This is Mildred. A lab chewed off her leg and Maggie put a furniture slide on her plastron to help her motate.

mildred a.JPGmildred.JPG

This poor water turtle came to me from a lady whose son had lost interest in the turtle. She had no idea there was anything wrong with the way it looked:

Rescue #28 09-08-13 a.jpgRescue #28 09-08-13 b.jpgRescue #28 09-08-13 c.jpg

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
? so many so bad. How do people see such deformities and not think something is wrong.
I understand pyramiding looking normal, that's about all you see when searching for pictures. But come on with the turtles and those bad sullies, how is that ever normal to anyone with 1/4 of a brain!
Very sad.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I don't know the story behind some of them. There were three like this turned in by the same keeper:

View attachment 288202View attachment 288203
View attachment 288204

This one was bruned by the light or CHE being too close to the shell:

View attachment 288205

This one was dog chewed:

View attachment 288206

This one is Bondo, James Bondo. He was hit by a car, taken to a vet who used bondo to close up the shell:

View attachment 288207

This baby box turtle was hatched without a lower jaw (I don't think this one was mine - probably a picture off the Forum:

View attachment 288208

Pyramided leopard:

View attachment 288209

Deformed box turtles turned in by the same keeper:

View attachment 288212View attachment 288213

I don't remember this one being one of mine - probably a picture off the Forum:

View attachment 288216

This Russian was dog chewed. I don't know how these two pictures ended up side-by-side, but I can't figure out how to separate them. The sulcata is a picture off the web showing damage done by another sulcata:

View attachment 288217View attachment 288218

This is Larry. His gular was chewed off by a dog, and when it healed new skin grew over the chewed off shell, and the skin that grew was leg skin with. This was VERY interesting to me:

View attachment 288219

Lil' Kim came to me from SoCal. I've kept him and he doesn't look near this bad anymore (three years later):

View attachment 288220

This is Mildred. A lab chewed off her leg and Maggie put a furniture slide on her plastron to help her motate.

View attachment 288221View attachment 288222

This poor water turtle came to me from a lady whose son had lost interest in the turtle. She had no idea there was anything wrong with the way it looked:

View attachment 288223View attachment 288224View attachment 288225

Having been around you all my life and spent a lot of time at your place seeing the abused animals in person...I am STILL shocked at people...here's knobby...had him for about 3 years and his new growth is nice...046.JPG

Randy Micheals

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
British columbia
Some have clearly suffered. Bless you for doing what you can for them. The skin over shell growth is intriguing...like a natural graft almost.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Some have clearly suffered. Bless you for doing what you can for them. The skin over shell growth is intriguing...like a natural graft almost.
Yes, I thought so too. I wonder what triggered the new growth to grow leg scales. Nature is truly amazing!!