Some new additions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I got an email from a lady today asking if I would take in two sullys, and when she arrive she had a desert tort 8 yrs, a turtle 10 yrs, and two 10 month old sullys. The three torts are pyramided but the Dt has started to grow smooth, hopefully with a better diet (no corn on the cob) they will grow smooth.

Here is the DT s/he is approx 10-12" and doesn't have any weight to him/her.

bigdt.jpg

Here are the two sullys and my youngest showing one off. they are 4-5 & 1/2 inches.

Jakeandnewsully.jpg

newsullys.jpg

Here is the turtle, her shell is really dry and curling up around the edges, my guess because she doen't have a pond, just a large water bowl.

carapaceturtle.jpg

plastronturtle.jpg

The desert tort has damage around the front of the carapace from a boxer attack, and the two sullys have a deformity to the plastron from dog attacks when they were hatchlings, they have grown back but they are a little disfigured, hopefully it doesn't cause them problems as they get bigger.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I'm glad you have them all now Jenn. :) The turtle is a Central American wood turtle, most likely Rhinoclemmys pulcherrima incisa. Would need side of head shots and better carapace shots to tell for sure.
Their shells are supposed to curl like that and they are very terrestrial and only need a large water bowl.

Danny

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
glad to hear you could provide them all a new home, jen! i'm sure they'll be happy and healthy in no time, under your care!

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Glad you could take them Jen! They will have great care now.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Jen
They are very lucky you adopted them, now they will be happy and healthy tortoises living the good life (the good life in the tortoises point of view) :D

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Congrats on your new rescues Jen, do you plan on keeping them or finding them forever homes?

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Ahhh Jen Im glad you could take them in. Sometimes its so very heartbreaking thinking of what they must have gone through in the past. Heres to a much better, well deserved life. ;)

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I will take more photos, she told me it was a painted turtle, but that didn't seem right. Robyn, I haven't decided if I am keeping or finding new homes, right now I have the space and a yard for them. I will for sure keep the DT and most likely the other three as well, I haven't really thought about it yet. The sullys are little right now and I am on a 1/4 acre with the plans to move to more land in 2-3 yrs. as soon as I finish school.

RachelleC

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
The turtle is a Central American wood turtle, most likely Rhinoclemmys pulcherrima incisa. Would need side of head shots and better carapace shots to tell for sure.
Their shells are supposed to curl like that and they are very terrestrial and only need a large water bowl.

Danny

I would agree with Danny. I own two Incisas. They are great turtles. They don't swim like a RES would but do like water up to about a inch above their shell. So they can still stand on the bottom and lift their head out of the water. It's hard to figure out how big that one is but usually a large cat pan would hold enough water for them.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Thanks for the info, she came with a large water bowl. Lucky me I am pretty sure the DT has a respitory infection, snotty nose and you can hear him/her breathing. Danny she maybe a he pretty good sized tail has orangy red zig zag behind and over the eyes and on her neck. I took more pics don't know if they are any better will post tommorow to see if we can figure out subspecies. I will probably rehome him/her to someone that already has wood turtles.

RachelleC

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jen does his head look like this?
post-7557-1203227297.jpg

if so then from the rest of your pictures I would really say Incisa. I am sure you can find someone to take it. They are great turtles. Very personable for a turtle.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
The plastron says female to me. :D

Well one of the keys to telling the 2 northern subspecies (pulcherrima and rogerbarbouri) from the 2 southern subspecies (incisa and manni) is that the red lines on the head don't go below the eye in the 2 northern subspecies. They do go below the eye in the 2 southern subspecies.

Danny

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I will check again but I don't think she has that much red stripes.

Status
Not open for further replies.