Some dry noises and slight wheeze

KatJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Hello!! One of my sulcatas has been slightly wheezy and making a lot of dry noises. We try to keep humidity up in his hide, but it’s kinda hard. (We’re investing in a misting system soon...) anyway- he’s already been on one round of antibiotics and the vet says there’s not much more they can do to help unless we knock him out and get him an X-ray. I’m a little apprehensive about that, as well as the cost of it, so I was wondering if there were any suggestions that any of you more seasoned owners could give me for us to try before we go the X-ray route!

We live in Virginia, and he lives outside year-round. He has a hide with a good temperature gradient (avg is about 90 near the heat lamp) and humidity is always ranging between 20-40. I wish we could get it higher. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

KatJ

5 Year Member
Virginia
Hello!! One of my sulcatas has been slightly wheezy and making a lot of dry noises. We try to keep humidity up in his hide, but it’s kinda hard. (We’re investing in a misting system soon...) anyway- he’s already been on one round of antibiotics and the vet says there’s not much more they can do to help unless we knock him out and get him an X-ray. I’m a little apprehensive about that, as well as the cost of it, so I was wondering if there were any suggestions that any of you more seasoned owners could give me for us to try before we go the X-ray route!

We live in Virginia, and he lives outside year-round. He has a hide with a good temperature gradient (avg is about 90 near the heat lamp) and humidity is always ranging between 20-40. I wish we could get it higher. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

He’s also about 15-17 years old and 45 pounds if that is relevant info.

KatJ

5 Year Member
Virginia
Do you soak him? Maybe some long,warm soaks?

Yes! Just gave him one yesterday... I hadn’t thought to do a few more than usual, so I will try that. He’ll get another today! It’s always a little hard to soak him since we have to carry him inside to our bathtub. [emoji28]

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
You could also raise his temperatures. Could you lower his heat lamp a little to get his basking temp up to 100?

So I don't have Sulcatas and I'm no expert but I seem to have read that at some point they get so big that a heat lamp doesn't warm them up well enough if they live outside in a cold climate. Some people will get a heat pad or pig blanket to warm them. Not all brands are safe for them. I do remember that Kane is a good safe brand. If you get a unsafe one the tortoise can get burnt. So I'm wondering if your guy is too cold which can lead to respiratory infections among other problems.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

You don't need a misting system for larger sulcatas. In fact mist or high humidity coupled with cooler temperatures will certainly make him sick.