Some cultures will eat anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
dmmj said:
How do you propose to deal with the " to many humans problem"?

Not to worry!! THAT extinction is coming soon enough. Once complete, nature sans Homo [allegedly] sapiens can get on with its business as usual.

garyguan93

5 Year Member
im chinese ,some of our tortoise fan save some tortoise from the restaurant.my grandpa had afarm and have some sheep and chicken.i understand where the meat came from.but i agree with that killing endangered animal is foolish.and we are try our best to save them.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
tortoises101 said:
Not to sound pessimistic, but there are just too many humans.

Yes, that's true. And when I tell people that, they take me for a misanthrope. I'm not a misanthrope. I like people and I like humanity. We are one fascinating species of animal among millions, and we are unique in our capacity for creativity and reasoning. But none of that changes the fact that, when you have 7 billion 150-lb animals competing for resources, you're going to run into trouble.

Having said that, resource abuse is just as big a problem as overpopulation. Even when there were only some 5 million people around, they still managed to drive mammoths, woolly rhinos, western camels, giant wombats, and many other megafauna to extinction. So, it's not only the number of people that matters, it's also what they're doing.

Paul Ehrlich and Barry Commoner held a series of debates in the 1970s about this. Ehrlich argued that overpopulation was the bigger problem, commoner argued that it was resource abuse. Later, people like Murray Bookchin argued for a third spoke in the wheel: social justice. As long as people are oppressed, they will be forced to do things that damage the environment, just to make a living. I think all three things (overpopulation, resource abuse, and oppression) must be combated to make progress on the environmental front.

HLogic said:
dmmj said:

Not to worry!! THAT extinction is coming soon enough. Once complete, nature sans Homo [allegedly] sapiens can get on with its business as usual.

That is also true. If we don't do something to improve the situation, then nature will do something for us. :eek:

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
katherine said:
Ermmm not trying to be rude at all, but humans from ALL parts of the planet kill and eat all kinds of wonderful animals. If you disagree with this practice it is easy not to partake in it. Unfortunately judgement is not the answer here; if it was we would have fixed the problem with this thread alone ; )

DITTO!

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
Kerryann said:
I am a strict vegetarian, but I don't judge others for what they eat with the exception of where it's cruel or destructive. I traveled a lot with my last job worldwide and there are people who will eat anything to extinction and they aren't starving. Whales for example, are being fished faster than they can reproduce but there are people who are willing to pay a lot of money for their meat. I also think it's disgusting animals skinned and cooked alive.

I completely agree, I would eat just about anything (provided it is not endangered or cruelly obtained (i.e. cooked alive or the likes of white veal where movement is restricted), So again its a problem with what they are killing and how, not the actual eating!

dmmj said:

yes, presumably a cull is out of order... (maybe more countries should try and reduce the number of babies produced, like China do - all be it not very well from all accounts)

MichiLove

5 Year Member
New Orleans
RE: Rare tortoise eaten in Africa

GeoTerraTestudo said:
More Chinese animal cruelty in the news, I see.

When i read the title i knew it was gonna be chinese people, thy are the reason that the population of the largest salamander in the world has been obliterated and push stright to near extinction.
"oOoo look whats that? I don't know lets eat it!" Thats what of when i imagine what must go on in their head.

Status
Not open for further replies.