Some cultures will eat anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Houston
RE: Rare tortoise eaten in Africa

That is just awful, You know I'm no vegetarian and I know where meat comes from, but killing endangered or rare animals is just beyond wrong, this is one of those crimes that really needs creative painful justice. It's a shame meat tastes so good and animals are made of it, but really all our food should come from good breeding populations, I really like Girl Scout thin mints, but I don't think anything should go extinct so I can have them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Let's all be "down" on the fact that these people killed endangered tortoises, but not down on the fact that they ate them. Some cultures eat turtles. We eat them here in the U.S. too.

tortuga_please

5 Year Member
Aside from culture differences, in some areas it's a survival issues. If Im in the desert with no civilization, my kids are hungry, and the only thing in sight is a turtle, there's not much choice. That being said, I'm not a fan of killing an endangered species. Emysemys brings up a good point too: turtles are eaten in this country in soup in virtually every major city.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I agree especially with Yvonne, it's more what species they killed, rather then that they were tortoises to me. I know many folks who could have really used those tortoises in breeding programs, so their deaths make me extremely sad. However, I can't condone them for eating turtles, when I have in the past had them in both soup and BBQ. Perhaps like me, they were raised hunting and eating all kinds of food as part of their diet.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
My husband is from the Philippines and he told me that they used to have alligators and turtles roaming around but after a while the ppl there hunted them for food. He also said he has eaten it. Now that he sees my turtles he says every once in awhile "I can't believe I ate turtles, I never new that they could be a pet, now I feel bad"..

I guess since we love turtles and tortoises we find it cruel and unusual but I am sure other ppl feel the same for chickens and cows.

I would much rather have ppl eat them for food, then kill them just for their shells, If at all I felt they had too, which I don't.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
I am a strict vegetarian, but I don't judge others for what they eat with the exception of where it's cruel or destructive. I traveled a lot with my last job worldwide and there are people who will eat anything to extinction and they aren't starving. Whales for example, are being fished faster than they can reproduce but there are people who are willing to pay a lot of money for their meat. I also think it's disgusting animals skinned and cooked alive.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Now lets try to live one day in the peoples shoes that are eating tortoises. Lets stop and think what these people make in a year. If you made the amount of money they do you would probably be eating tortoises to. If you made 100.00 a year and you saw a tortoise and it was your only meat supply that month what would you do. Im just saying that we have no idea what they are gong thru

EKLC

5 Year Member
bigred said:
Now lets try to live one day in the peoples shoes that are eating tortoises. Lets stop and think what these people make in a year. If you made the amount of money they do you would probably be eating tortoises to. If you made 100.00 a year and you saw a tortoise and it was your only meat supply that month what would you do. Im just saying that we have no idea what they are gong thru

Those Chinese nationals are surely 100 times better off than the average Zimbabwean.

Keeping them in drums alive, then boiling them alive is sick. And the fact that they are an endangered species shows complete disregard for the world they live in.

Hope they feel the full wrath of Zimbabwe

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
emysemys said:
Let's all be "down" on the fact that these people killed endangered tortoises, but not down on the fact that they ate them. Some cultures eat turtles. We eat them here in the U.S. too.

I completely agree. It is too bad that endangered species are being eaten in some cultures, but also keep in mind that too of those cultures don't look at their food from our same perspective such as "endangered".
In many cases it wasn't the fact of them eating the animals that made the species endangered either. More often than not it was another outside culture than did so for different, usually commercial reasons.

And while the species may not be endangered here in the U.S., many people in many parts of the country do eat turtles as well as many other native species. While the practice is dying out, many "old timers" here where I live still avidly hunt and eat snapping turtles and their eggs. I don't have a problem with that.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
GB.... your neighbors are the swamp people on tv?...:p

How cool is that ?...:D:p;)

JD~:D

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
yagyujubei said:
Too bad those darn chinese aren't civilised like us. http://www.9news.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=114673&catid=222

Rattlesnakes are not endangered.

tortoises101 said:
Eating turtles is part of Chinese culture.

We cannot use culture alone to argue for whether something is acceptable or not. Is it okay to mutilate the genitalia of children, just because it's a tradition? Is it okay to own people, just because it's a tradition? Is it okay to beat a wife if her skin is visible? Is it okay to torture bears, just because it's a tradition? No. Some cultural practices are worth preserving, and some aren't. Keeping endangered animals in a drum until you kill them is not one of them.

I did eat a turtle once while staying in a South American village, but the turtle was not endangered, and it was not kept cruelly in a drum until I ate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.