some boxies are up

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
I'm so excited. This morning I took the cover off the hibernation cave and took about two feet of leaves and pine hay out, and let the sun hit it for a while. When I went out this afternoon to put the cover back on, there was Nollie, just sitting there. Her eyes are clear, and she looks good, but I didn't want to touch her just yet. If her eyes were closed I would have taken her in and soaked her a bit.
022-20.jpg

016-26.jpg

Very few plants have come up yet and I didn't even clean the pond at the end of the turtle garden, but I put the cover back on
010-41.jpg

Then this afternoon I found Lil' Bindi up after two months...she even ate a worm. She feels great, and her eyes are clear. She's never been outside yet, because she's only 18 months old. I'm making a little garden for her this Summer so she can get some REAL sun.
003-46.jpg

Next Nora came up after two months. Nora is 33 years old now, and can't take the cold, so she and Bindi just stay inside and sleep for two months, coming out to soak occasionally. She's looking good too, but won't eat yet.
043-9.jpg

042-11.jpg

040-8.jpg

I'm a little more optimistic now that I saw Nollie is OK. Just waiting for 5 more to come up.

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Wow. That's amazing. I must admit that waiting out hibernation would be very stressful for me. I would constantly want to check on them which would probably mess up the process.

Very cool.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
that's great! spring is here. :) 33 years old, wow. that's older than me!!!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I just lost my Dad's old Eastern Boxie who was well over 60 years old. He hasn't come up for two Summers now so we are thinking he passed away. My sister and I inherited him when my Dad died. He had to be way, way older than 60 because he was the first boxie I remember growing up. The only one we kept when my Dad got sick.

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
terryo said:
I just lost my Dad's old Eastern Boxie who was well over 60 years old. He hasn't come up for two Summers now so we are thinking he passed away. My sister and I inherited him when my Dad died. He had to be way, way older than 60 because he was the first boxie I remember growing up. The only one we kept when my Dad got sick.

I'm sorry Terry. That must be very hard.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
Oh, that's too bad, I'm sorry :( I'm sure your dad is taking care of him again now :)

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Good news Terry :) I am glad they are doing fine! Let us know when the other wakes up...
Beautiful pics by the way :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Chewie's brother/sister woke up yesterday. This was his/her first year to hibernate outside.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
How long to they hibernate there Yvonne? Since you have warmer weather than here, I was wondering. I was happy when I saw Nollie. Her eyes, bright and clear. I can't wait for the others to come up now, and to get a closer look at them. I remember when I had boxies years ago, every year the juvies came up they would have more color.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We usually get our first frost around Halloween and they are under by then. So they're hibernating for around 4, sometimes 5 months.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
hey i just had a blonde moment what are the ratios m.f.uk or f.m.uk?

kbaker

5 Year Member
Michigan
Great News!!

Sorry about your Dad's EBT.:(

Are you ready for a male Ornate this year?:D

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Saloli said:
hey i just had a blonde moment what are the ratios m.f.uk or f.m.uk?

Male.Female.Unknown

Usually displayed as digits - like 1.2.3 which in turn means 1 male, 2 females, and 3 unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.