Some advice would be appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Denver, Colorado
So I know this is a tort forum but many of you have cats and may be able to share some advice on my situation.

This started about a month ago, out of no where my room mate's cat (Nathan Explosion) pissed all over my bed, while I was sitting at my desk near him, he made no noises or anything to let me know he was going to go, it was like he had an accident. About a week goes by and again he does it, he sleeps on my bed quite often so it seemed like he was actually having an accident and wetting the bed (not sure if he was actually pissing in his sleep but it sort of seemed that way) so after the 2nd time I pretty much forced my room mate to take him to the vet to see what is wrong, as my older cat *the russian blue* did this when he was young due to a UTI so I figured my room mate's cat probably did as well. The vet gave him meds for the UTI and cleaned his ears(literally 1000's of mites, took a whole tube of cleaning solution per ear instead of one for both [I had been cleaning his ears out every morning for about 2 months, but clearly was losing the battle and my room mate didn't seem to care about it so it was one of the other reasons I forced him to take his cat to the vet])

Now we are about 2 weeks since the vet visit and he is doing great, no mites anymore, no accidents, not whining randomly, seems to have a great attitude improvement and is doing wonderful.

The problem that this created and is what I need help with:

My cat Panthro, who is brothers with my room mate's cat Nathan Explosion, witnessed Nate have the accidents and now thinks my bed/room is a friggin litter box, he RUINED all my sheets, comforter and mattress in the course of one week. He doesn't seem to have any sort of problems going on, he has not mites to stress him, no changes in the household, no new pets to deal with, hes not pissing anywhere else either, just my bed or the carpet near my bed if I am sitting on my bed.

For the last week I have kept the door to my room closed and I hate it, I can't air out the room very well, none of the other 3 cats can get into my room either, and now they are starting to scratch at the door and at each other, plus I miss sleeping with a cat as a pillow hahaha, or having a cat on my lap when playing games or surfing the forum.

I have been sitting in the living room and playing with all the cats until they are exhausted and go pass out, but even then it is usually only about 2 hours total time where as before when they would come into my room I would play with them whenever they asked.

I am going to bring Panthro to a vet soon, but cannot afford to go at this point, I have to wait until the next paycheck before I possibly can go, however I likely cannot afford to go for about a month. I don't think he has anything wrong as he is not pissing anywhere else in the house now that he cannot get into my room, just in the litter boxes, so I really do think he saw his brother do it and thought oh ok, that is a good place to go? cool!

He also could be going out of spite or general jerkiness, their mother was a pure bred bengal, so they are bengal mixes and he truly shows this with his attitude, and the reason I say he could be doing it out of spite or w/e is because of this story, one of the days, after he has pissed in my room several times but before I kicked them out so last week some time, He brings me his favorite toy, drops it at my feet while I was working on something on my computer, I scratched his head and said to him we will play fetch in a few, let me finish this up, he looked right at me, walked to my bed and pissed all over my pillow came back and took his toy and left, He got his nose pushed into it and yelled at and now hes not allowed in my room.

Sorry for the rambliness of the post, and if I repeated myself or something it is because I wrote this in pieces while at work, but any help or suggestions for how to get him to stop or unlearn this would be great, I love him and want to be able to sit with him again, I miss the time together hahaha (if you can't tell I am a bit too attached to my cats)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He must still be able to smell the other cats urine. They don't do things like this out of spite or that the other one did it. Illness, stress, or smell.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He might be marking because of the previous "marking" that the other cat did.

Another thing might be that you aren't good at keeping the litter box clean. Some cats don't like to use a dirty litter box.

But my money is on the marking his territory thing.

I took this off the 'net:

Here are a few suggestions for controlling spraying:

"1. Have your cat spayed/neutered by the time she is six months old. In addition to the many other good reasons to have your cat neutered, more than 90% of cats will not start spraying if they are fixed before the behavior begins.

2. Restrict her view of the outdoors. If your cat sees another cat, her natural response will be to mark her territory... your home. Move furniture away from windows, pull the drapes, or cover the lower portion of your window. You might also provide a well-located, cat tree or play area to refocus attention.

3. If you have more than one cat, foster a positive relationship among them. Cats that get along are less competitive, and are therefore far less likely to spray. Play with your cats together, and give each one equal attention. Have them eat and sleep together. Encourage them to groom each other by wiping them down with a damp cloth.

4. Reduce stress in your cat by keeping things routine. Changes of any kind in your household can create anxiety, for example, new cats in the area, new people, or re-decorating. Feed your cat at the same time each day, and keep her litter box and bed in their respective places. When people visit, put your cat in a separate room, particularly if your visitors have cats of their own and may carry in their scent. Feliway Spray, or Comfort Zone Plug-in with Feliway, contains a pheromone-like substance designed to help calm cats, can be used for cats under stress, or when you think planned events might foster anxiety.

5. If your cat does spray, thoroughly clean the area to prevent re-marking. We recommend OdorLogic® CleanAway Pet Stain & Odor Remover or Stainaway that uses natural enzymes to devour odor-causing bacteria instead of covering up its scent.

SSSCAT Spray and No-Scratch! Spray repel your cat with unpleasant essences, so your cat will avoid treated surfaces or your houseplants. They can be used to keep your pet away from selected areas, furniture, and drapes, which may help disrupt the undesirable pattern of behavior.
Spraying is definitely a problem you don't have to live with. Whenever you spot spraying or recognize its signs, the sooner you take action the better."

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Sounds as though he is expressing his perceived dominance over you and marking what he believes will show you this....You have a problem you will need to deal with....

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
do you have a clean litter box in your room?
you can try that as well.. but it seems its something to do with you.. :-(

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Thank you for the suggestions, some more info about him, he is actually neutered, all of my cats are and have been since they were around 6 months old. I also don't think he is spraying but legit peeing, Ill try adding another litter box, hopefully that helps, and I will admit I can probably clean them out more often, we do it every other day so I guess I will be doing it daily now. I had not thought about windows, my room has a ledge they liked to sleep on by a window that doesn't open, maybe he was seeing the neighbor cats from there, Ill have to invest in a curtain or something to keep him away from it. I am working on cat trees, we have things for them to climb and scratch up but none are super tall, so I will try that too, Ill start looking for scrap wood/carpet and make some.

Once I get some deep cleaners I will clean my room again from top to bottom to get rid of smells and try letting them back in once I have a few of these suggestions tried. Again thanks for the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.