Solar to Power Misting System

richosullivan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orlando
I was thinking about adding a solar panel to my tortoise enclosure to run a misting system - get plenty of sunlight early in the day and figured it would be cheaper in the long run over pulling power from an outlet I have in the back yard that is used to run heat panels for my 2 tort houses (and I figure the less plugged into the outlet, the less chance of tripping the breaker and losing power - hasn't happended but always a fear in the back of my mind).

Does anyone have any experience? I feel something like the following should work, but wasn't sure if anyone had a system in place that could recommend a battery for power storage, and converter with a traditional outlet to plug into:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BFCNFRM/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Figure it could provide a shady area while harnessing the energy.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm always trying to find solar stuff. However, why not just hook up a misting hose to your yard hose?

richosullivan

5 Year Member
Orlando
I'm always trying to find solar stuff. However, why not just hook up a misting hose to your yard hose?

My enclosure is pretty far from the nearest hose, and would have to run over an area I mow - so would most likely need to dig a trench to run.

Because of that was looking at some mistking system with a reservoir that I could/would just fill up once a week.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They have solar power water fountains that might be cheaper and would probably work out of a bucket. Just a thought.

richosullivan

5 Year Member
Orlando
They have solar power water fountains that might be cheaper and would probably work out of a bucket. Just a thought.

I looked at those originally, and most of them are set to run as long as the sun is hitting the panel, vs. being able to put on a timer or run for a set period of time - then to add a timer, the timer needs to be plugged into something, so defeats the purpose.

I want to have it so it will throw down some morning "rain" - will keep looking for an affordable option and share once i find something.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I looked at those originally, and most of them are set to run as long as the sun is hitting the panel, vs. being able to put on a timer or run for a set period of time - then to add a timer, the timer needs to be plugged into something, so defeats the purpose.

I want to have it so it will throw down some morning "rain" - will keep looking for an affordable option and share once i find something.

Wouldn't the same power that runs the pump, run a timer? Or maybe the all-in-one fountain/pump is engineered to only run a pump with no extra power to charge a battery/timer.

I'm looking to sort an ocean freight container with panels on the roof and a storage battery for remote parts of a farm. Enough electricity to run heating devices like panels. And to open and close vents based on temps. I await your solution too.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Harbor Freight has everything to set up a solar system. I bought one a few years ago and it works fine.( i went and got another one after setting up the first one) It's a 4 panel 100 watt system.They sell them but the battery and inverter are not included with the kit though. I have an in store coupon for $149,99 for the kit that is good until Sept 30 2017 if you check it out and want to try it out and have a store close by. I'm not going to use the coupon. Remember the more batteries connected, the longer the system will operate.