Solar powered heat lamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
It seems a bit of a contradiction. If the sun is out, the tort uses that to bask. If it's not out, the lamp won't come on. :D

I know these solar powered devices charge batteries btw.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
A heat lamp in the traditional sense wouldn't be practical if it were powered by solar energy.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
More seriously, I doubt that you could get the desired high temperatures out of a solar powered heat lamp. It would work for something that just gives off heat, but a heat lamp requires too much energy for it to last any length of time on a solar charge.

Kameo37

5 Year Member
Pictures? Brands? Purchased from? Please, Tom?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using TortForum mobile app

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think Tom does mean the sun, but I think I remember him saying once that he installed solar to run his electric for his home too?

Kameo37

5 Year Member
Aww, cruel joke if he does mean the sun. :(
I told ny husband about this and he said, "ooh, let's put solar panels on the roof of the tortoise shed!"
I have no idea how the ratio of solar panels to wattage goes, but it couldn't take that many panels to power an mvb and a che, right?

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Solar panels for your home will save you money on your energy bill. My coworker just got some and she has no electric bill she does have a solar power bill that's paying off her panels, she said its way cheaper then electric

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Millerlite said:
Solar panels for your home will save you money on your energy bill. My coworker just got some and she has no electric bill she does have a solar power bill that's paying off her panels, she said its way cheaper then electric

Some states (like MA) have great solar programs, where if you have extra solar power generated, the power company has to buy it back for X-number of years, (20-25 in MA) so the panels pay for themselves, you ease the power drain, and even help produce energy for others.....I just need to own a house!

Kameo37

5 Year Member
Hmm. I think I have heard that they do that here (in Texas), too. I haven't given it a ton of thought in the past, but it does make sense for us now that we have all these lights, uths, CHEs, etc going for our reptilian friends.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Yeah Ca is a supporter of anything green, if I owned a house I would think of solar, especially with as much sun as we get all year round

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Re: RE: Solar powered heat lamp

Kameo37 said:
Aww, cruel joke if he does mean the sun. :(
I told ny husband about this and he said, "ooh, let's put solar panels on the roof of the tortoise shed!"
I have no idea how the ratio of solar panels to wattage goes, but it couldn't take that many panels to power an mvb and a che, right?

I am sure Tom means the sun. Solar panels on the roof of your house are a good idea... then you can generate electricity for you as well as your tort. Much more practical than a solar powered lamp.

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
I own a home inspection business and just inspected a house with the largest residential solar system I have ever seen. It cost the owners $40,000 and only produces 1/3 of electricity they use per month. The house was less than 2,000 sq feet.
Do the math. It would take them over 30 years for the system to pay for itself, maybe more. Not a good investment at all. Maybe in another 10 years solar will be more economical. They have an online program and it said it saved them like $1,300 since late 2011.Not per year, total..

Status
Not open for further replies.