Soft shell

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
Dang it! My baby leopard wont eat that stuff yet. Just all greens, I do make a dust out of the Mazuri and sprinkle it on the wet greens

Nisi

New York
your Leopard is way bigger then Juggalo.. he has only gained 3 grams since I had got him in July. I dust his with it too.. but he is a smarty pants and smells his food and will not eat his greens. someone told me to soak it in Carrot juice and someone else said grate cucumbers and mix it in. I tried that last night and he eat some. so fingers crossed.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona

Can you post an updated plastron shot like this? I see new growth coming in this picture. The plastron is usually where you will see the first signs of growth then the carapace will follow shortly after.

3 grams in about two months doesn't sound too horrible assuming he still eats and poos well and is active. Some just seem to have a growth freeze from time to time which still should be addressed, but assuming everything else is "good" I don't think it is a cause for worry.

What types of food is he eating?

Nisi

New York
When I get home I will be happy to post new pictures.

I give him mixed salad greens, sliced carrots, cucumber, prickly pear cactus, I tried kale he didn't like the dark greens, dandelions too he loves.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Do you have access to any edible and pesticide free leaves like mulberry or grape? Expanding his diet some more might help.

How often are you feeding?

Nisi

New York
If I can't buy it at the store I don't have access to it. I am in the mid of getting my house ready to sell next spring so I didn't do any garden this year. With fall around the corning its a little late for me to start growing anything now. I buy herbal hay from Tortoisesupply that is were I bought my little guy from. I forgot that little bit of information

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
It's hard to make a sound judgement call on a tortoise's health just by pictures, but from what you posted he looks OK. There definitely is not any sign of new growth. It looks like he may have had some good growth about a month ago, but has since stopped.

As I suggested before, the lack of growth may not be a problem by itself. It sounds like you have him set up well with good routines, so I would just focus on what he is eating. I would recommend feeding him at least twice a day and allowing him to eat as much as he can. Keep trying with Mazuri and expand his diet options as best you can. I understand being limited as far as offering leaves and weeds, so some good grocery store options I would suggest are escarole, romaine, spinach free spring mix, variety of greens and cactus pads are what I would use regularly.

Nisi

New York
Thank you Neal for the helpful information. I will try my best.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Another thing I would suggest is to bump up the low side of you temperatures a little bit. I don't think the temperatures are a problem, but I suggest bumping up the lows because that tends to increase their appetite. If I ever have tortoises with an issue eating enough I will try to keep them as close to 90 degrees as I can around the clock.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Agreed, I have one leo that is a year old and half the size of his three clutch mates, he is growing just really slow.