Soft shell on hermanns

Higgy

Location (City and/or State)
London
He is about 4 months old. Slightly soft shell on top of shell near tail and his belly. I mean really ever so slightly soft. He is still eating. Lots. Gets calcium powder on his food, was told once a week from breeder. Has cuttle bone which he eats. He is active but sleeps a lot. Figure that's normal for a baby. About 60% humidity(a bit high but it's my climate). 95 degrees farenheit in basking area. Baths each night in warm water 20 min. It's very humid where I live outside and was told to not put him out in the humidity. I can if it's recommended. We love this little guy so much I dont want anything to happen to him. We have only had him a week. Any help is welcome or suggestions. 1564436276895.jpeg

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
IMO the Testudo have a higher D3 need than some other genera of tortoise. Real sun, or higher UV output tubes are needed for them. They also need to have a body temp in the high 80'sF to low 90'sF to process D3, so a temp gradient is needed as well.

Higgy

London
Thank you. The calcium has d3 but I am going to buy a drop version for his bath time. I have been so worried. I will also get him a higher level fluorescent bulb.

Higgy

London
IMO the Testudo have a higher D3 need than some other genera of tortoise. Real sun, or higher UV output tubes are needed for them. They also need to have a body temp in the high 80'sF to low 90'sF to process D3, so a temp gradient is needed as well.

Can I also put him outside in the high humidity I get where I live? We are talking 30 degrees celcius feeling like 40 with humidity...

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Many populations of Hermann's tortoise live near enough a coast on the Mediterranean that they live with a strong coastal influence, morning fog etc. The problems direct sun solves are stronger than the very slight problem humidity might create. Raining days if it's cold <70F, I'd shelter the tortoise. but sunny and humid is okay.
Can I also put him outside in the high humidity I get where I live? We are talking 30 degrees celcius feeling like 40 with humidity...