Soft shell and won’t open eyes

Cory02

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hi everyone. I’m a first time tortoise owner and I got caught up in work and I thought my tortoise was hibernating because a friend of mine said his does around this time of year. But anyways, I’m concerned I just didn’t take care of him the correct way. He moves and everything but he won’t open his eyes, and his shell is soft around the edges and belly area any suggestions on how to help him?

TaylorTortoise

Abington
IT sounds like your little guy could possibly have parasites or maybe you do not have the correct lighting/heating for proper shell growth in the enclosure?
can we see pictures of the tortoise/ it's enclosures to identify any cues.

Cory02

California
Also,
What is it's diet? What are you currently feeding your guy?
I feed him collard greens and wax worms is what the lady I bought him from said to feed him and when I feed him the worms I put the calcium powder on there.

Cory02

California
IT sounds like your little guy could possibly have parasites or maybe you do not have the correct lighting/heating for proper shell growth in the enclosure?
can we see pictures of the tortoise/ it's enclosures to identify any cues.
I use an old fish tank I have and I think it might have been the lighting because since I thought he was hibernating I didn’t turn the light on. :(

TaylorTortoise

Abington
I use an old fish tank I have and I think it might have been the lighting because since I thought he was hibernating I didn’t turn the light on. :(
Can you post pictures please of your tortoise and the tank as well as the lighting? We need to see everything to be able to help you.

Also, If it's a desert tortoise, these type do not eat worms and such that group of food falls under boxed turtles.

Cory02

California
Can you post pictures please of your tortoise and the tank as well as the lighting? We need to see everything to be able to help you.

Also, If it's a desert tortoise, these type do not eat worms and such that group of food falls under boxed turtles.
Yes here’s a picture. And thank you for your help so far. And when I feed him he loves the worms and I can’t identify what kind of tortoise he is I’m gonna be honest I forgot what kind he is when after the lady had told me. I feel terrible for this right now image.jpgimage.jpg

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Yes here’s a picture. And thank you for your help so far. And when I feed him he loves the worms and I can’t identify what kind of tortoise he is I’m gonna be honest I forgot what kind he is when after the lady had told me. I feel terrible for this right now View attachment 317928View attachment 317929
That definitely looks like a water turtle with its webbed feet. Where did you purchase this turtle?

Also... that tank is not sufficient enough for any living thing besides fish.
Tortoises and turtles need a lot more room and require a lot more needs. Such as two light fixtures for heat and UVB.
ALSO, you need some type of water and food dish in there for the turtle/tortoise to stay hydrated.
Get rid of those hampster scraps and get proper substrate if it's a tortoise. and if it's a turtle you need a few gallons of water In there with rocks and a filter. That tortoise is most likely suffering the improper nutrients and lighting for his natural habitat.

Cory02

California
That definitely looks like a water turtle with its webbed feet. Where did you purchase this turtle?

Also... that tank is not sufficient enough for any living thing besides fish.
Tortoises and turtles need a lot more room and require a lot more needs. Such as two light fixtures for heat and UVB.
ALSO, you need some type of water and food dish in there for the turtle/tortoise to stay hydrated.
Get rid of those hampster scraps and get proper substrate if it's a tortoise. and if it's a turtle you need a few gallons of water In there with rocks and a filter. That tortoise is most likely suffering the improper nutrients and lighting for his natural habitat.
I got this turtle from a women who rescues reptiles and such. And I feed it whatever she told me to. She told me it was a tortoise and Idk anymore I’ll do what you say and what do you suggest I feed it? I love this thing I really want to save him.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
The worms are fine. but you need to be doing research on that exact turtle for it to thrive and to be a good pet owner.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Yes here’s a picture. And thank you for your help so far. And when I feed him he loves the worms and I can’t identify what kind of tortoise he is I’m gonna be honest I forgot what kind he is when after the lady had told me. I feel terrible for this right now View attachment 317928View attachment 317929
That's a baby box turtle. This should help you set it up correctly if it's not too late.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
You need to make half his tank water, and the other half fill with rocks.
Diet can consists of those worms, and turtle pellets from the pet store.
You need to get two fixtures, a UVB bulb that helps with shell growth, that emits rays for health and a heating bulb for warm in the water.
First start off with putting him in a shallow dish of water to get him hydrated and moving. He looks very dried out from not being in any water.

Cory02

California
You need to get two fixtures, a UVB bulb that helps with shell growth, that emits rays for health and a heating bulb for warm in the water.
First start off with putting him in a shallow dish of water to get him hydrated and moving. He looks very dried out from not being in any water.
Okay I appreciate you so much right now I will do everything in my power to help this turtle. I have a few days off from work so I can PROPERLY take care of him.

Cory02

California
That's a baby box turtle. This should help you set it up correctly if it's not too late.

Thank you!

Cory02

California
And do you suggest I put him in warmer water or colder water so he can hydrate?