Soft Bottom Shell

DrSpurred

Location (City and/or State)
Lambertville, NJ USA
So I was just doing a routine physical on my Sulcata and I noticed for the first time ever that the bottom of his shell is soft, not pliable but soft. What should I do? Is he not getting enough Calcium?? Should I get him Liquid Calcium?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
So I was just doing a routine physical on my Sulcata and I noticed for the first time ever that the bottom of his shell is soft, not pliable but soft. What should I do? Is he not getting enough Calcium?? Should I get him Liquid Calcium?

Is it soft like a sponge or soft like a plastic lid?
Is it soft in the middle with a a red line going down the plastron?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If it is pliable, that is normal. If it is spongy in the middle, you have a problem.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
It could just be because it’s young. How old is he, and how much does he weigh? Most babies have pliable plastrons.
Where did you get your baby?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Omg stop Tom I cant read that, Ive been holding back but that describes my baby to the T... @TechnoCheese @Tom

Sadly, most breeders start this species all wrong and a large percentage of them die weeks or months later, even though the new keeper is doing everything "right".

Don't ever give up. Many of them pull through and do just fine. Just offer daily long soaks, and the best temps, humidity and care that you can.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Idk there is something different about it.. Its softer its like I can't quite tell but I handle him enough where I know something isnt normal
If your baby is suffering the effects of renal failure due to an overly dry start, there is nothing you can do about it. No vet can fix it and no amount of money spent will change what happened months ago. As I said, just do your best and hope for the best.

Do you chart his growth? You should. Growth can be an indicator of what is going on. Most Breeder Failure Syndrome babies don't make it past 50 grams. A healthy baby sulcata should reach and pass 50 grams in a couple of months at most.

DrSpurred

Lambertville, NJ USA
If your baby is suffering the effects of renal failure due to an overly dry start, there is nothing you can do about it. No vet can fix it and no amount of money spent will change what happened months ago. As I said, just do your best and hope for the best.

Do you chart his growth? You should. Growth can be an indicator of what is going on. Most Breeder Failure Syndrome babies don't make it past 50 grams. A healthy baby sulcata should reach and pass 50 grams in a couple of months at most.
I moved recently and I lost my scale. Ive had him since November 1st and i havent noticed any growth and last time I weighed him was a month or so ago and he was at 57g but he doesnt feel even the slightest bit heavier.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I moved recently and I lost my scale. Ive had him since November 1st and i havent noticed any growth and last time I weighed him was a month or so ago and he was at 57g but he doesnt feel even the slightest bit heavier.
Find your scale, or go get a new one. If the tortoise is putting on weight, and well past 50grams, then you are probably fine. The peace of mind will be worth the price of a scale.

Peru IN
Ours just developed the same problem over the past 2-3 days, we got him at a pet store so ya know.... we soak him 20 minutes a day and he gets plenty of outdoor exercise (about an hour walk a day)as his shell is only measuring 2 1/4 inch so he is still currently indoors ) and fresh grass, kale, dandelion greens (in moderation) as well as baby tort pellets incase he wants them but he rarely does. He has a 100 watt light that he loves plus it has UVB as well, and a night heat emitter. A hidding area he never uses and some buried low rocks he loves to lay on and sun. As well as a ling shallow water bowl he walk around in and his food dish. What could I be missing that is making his shell soft?!?!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ours just developed the same problem over the past 2-3 days, we got him at a pet store so ya know.... we soak him 20 minutes a day and he gets plenty of outdoor exercise (about an hour walk a day)as his shell is only measuring 2 1/4 inch so he is still currently indoors ) and fresh grass, kale, dandelion greens (in moderation) as well as baby tort pellets incase he wants them but he rarely does. He has a 100 watt light that he loves plus it has UVB as well, and a night heat emitter. A hidding area he never uses and some buried low rocks he loves to lay on and sun. As well as a ling shallow water bowl he walk around in and his food dish. What could I be missing that is making his shell soft?!?!
That is the problem with "Breeder Failure Syndrome". If the breeder did it wrong weeks or months ago, it does't matter what the new keeper does. The damage cannot be undone. No amount of perfect care, great diet, suburb hydration, expensive vet care and treatment, or anything else can undo that sort of previous damage. The only solution is to NOT buy an animal from a breeder or seller that starts them too dry or leaves them outside all day. And if a seller can't precisely answer your questions about how the baby was started and what the daily routine was, then buy elsewhere.

Peru IN
That is the problem with "Breeder Failure Syndrome". If the breeder did it wrong weeks or months ago, it does't matter what the new keeper does. The damage cannot be undone. No amount of perfect care, great diet, suburb hydration, expensive vet care and treatment, or anything else can undo that sort of previous damage. The only solution is to NOT buy an animal from a breeder or seller that starts them too dry or leaves them outside all day. And if a seller can't precisely answer your questions about how the baby was started and what the daily routine was, then buy elsewhere.
So because his undershell feels like a Tupperware lid he's on his way to die? Is there any way to help him??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just do the best you can. Follow the care sheet, provide calcium and UVB (either from the sun or a good UVB light, and hope for the best. Not all of them die. We have many success stories here on the Forum.

All baby tortoises have pliable shells for the first few months.