Soaking my turtles food

noblequintin

Location (City and/or State)
Caldwell Idaho
My baby turtle is around 1-2 inches and has a hard time eating her pellets hard. she is blind and i have to hand feed her. becasue her pellets are hard and she cant eat them i let them sit in the tank before feeding her. this morning i noticed the back side of her shell above her tail is soft and bendable. IS THIS BECAUSE I SOAK THE FOOD? or because the food doesnt supply proper nurtirents?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Reptomin and Zoo Med both make baby turtle pellets. They're very tiny little balls and easy for the small turtle to swallow. Maybe we need to address the reason this baby is blind. Can we do anything about it or is it genetic? For instance, a baby suffering from too little vitamin A has stuck shut eyes, and we can fix that.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
My baby turtle is around 1-2 inches and has a hard time eating her pellets hard. she is blind and i have to hand feed her. becasue her pellets are hard and she cant eat them i let them sit in the tank before feeding her. this morning i noticed the back side of her shell above her tail is soft and bendable. IS THIS BECAUSE I SOAK THE FOOD? or because the food doesnt supply proper nurtirents?
Nah. Soaking the food simply softens it. If it's an aquatic turtle, the food is designed to soften. It could be that there isn't enough uvb, not enough calcium, or you may need a tank heater as well. What kind of turtle is it?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You do know, right?, that water turtles can only swallow food under water.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Water turtles cannot swallow unless they're in the water. So they should be soft pretty quickly after you throw them in there anyway.