Soaking, feeding, activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siren Nora

5 Year Member
With my new enclosure I've noticed my Lil Nommie has become Very active! So active she jumps off the top of her den and goes for more. I hate this! She sometimes flips over and goes right back at it. Did I mention I hated this behavior? It seems like I can't feed her enough. Is there a limit to feeding a baby? Her temps are now stable at 80- humidity 60-80(I live in az) and soaks everyday. Soaking Nommie is like bathing a child, she climbs out! I make her take a bath for at least 20mins. Her poops are normal everything seems ok. I just wonder if all of her activity and jumping is trying to tell me something. ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365714720.784361.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365714733.056869.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Lynnwood, WA
That's such cute behavior haha. I think she's probably excited for hotter weather. Maybe you should should take her outside to let her explore.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I would try to find something she can't climb on if she's flipping over. And a bigger soaking container if she climbs out. I once had a nightmare that my leopard climbed out of the soaking container and fell on the floor. Then she turned into a cracked egg...lol

Just be careful.

Siren Nora

5 Year Member
I let her outside as much as possible. We are in the process of building her and outdoor enclosure. I watch her like a hawk when she's bathing.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
She's very cute. I would revamp the hide so she can't flip. Unfortunately, some have died flipping under the basking light or in their water dish. If she does it and your not home to flip her back over if she can't do it herself, it could be tragic.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Siren Nora said:
I just wonder if all of her activity and jumping is trying to tell me something.

IMO she most certainly IS trying to tell you something. She needs more to do!

While you are working on her outdoor space, try and make her indoor enclosure more interesting.

I like to add rocks (some pressed into the dirt for walking over and some large for walking around sight barriers), lots of fake plants (cheap at the 99cents store), and mounds and hills of dirt up and over the hides.

I think if you had more of this your baby would spend her time doing laps around the obstacles instead of jumping off the hide.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Boy can they eat! I'm only just learning this now. It's a horrible moment when you realise you've been under feeding :( I tend to just feed as much as she will eat now throughout the day. And if I ever find her sat on her feeding tiles I feed her more and she eats. I read on here just feed as much as they can eat. Dunno if this is right for a baby though. I have a 20 month old.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Soaking, feeding, activity

Siren Nora said:
Thanks for the advice.

How much food do I offer? She can eat!

I have never limited the food I offer. But I also have large pens for my tortoises to feed themselves and exercise.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Re: RE: Soaking, feeding, activity

Siren Nora said:
Feeding seems to calm the jumping. Ill keep feeding :)

In that case, she's probably only eating because of boredom and not because she's hungry.

Status
Not open for further replies.