Soaking and drinking

Status
Not open for further replies.

trusty

5 Year Member
AH me again,,, always with the silly questions,,,, SO tort was soaked this morning for 20 minutes,,, she did not come out the whole time,, moved her legs slightly and they came out a tiny bit but head stayed in,,, my first question is should I soak her under her UV heat lamp?? AND also after 20 minutes the water was really quite cold as she is small there is not much water in there!!!

2nd question is she has not had a drink she she got here.... she didn;t drink while soaking her and she has not ventured anywhere near her drink bowl,, is this going to be a problem? How long can she go for without drinking?

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
Hi Trusty,

Dont worry about asking "silly" questions - everybody is the same at first! Tortoises, especially young ones, can take a few weeks or even a month to settle into their new home. They need to learn you are not a predator - as babies, everything wants to eat them in the wild! That's why she's staying in her shell. Mine didn't eat for 8 days when I first got him, and didnt drink for a day or so. As regards to drinking goes - they NEED to drink to stay hydrated, so make sure you are soaking every day for at least 30 mins - maybe even twice a day if she's still not drinking. What you could do is place her in her water bowl and when your not there she will probably get herself out. Don't sit and watch her though, just come back in an hour and get her out if she hasn't moved herself.

In regards to soaking, you must keep the water warm at all times - never let a baby get cold and wet as this can cause illness. If the water gets cold, replace it. I hope this helps and she drinks for you soon. Has she eaten anything? If she's eating you can spray the food with water so at least she's getting some liquid this way. No, dont soak her under her UV lamp as ive read this can cause overheating. Just keep the water warm and you'll be all good.

remember she is still scared, everything is new and strange - just be patient and try not to worry :)

BodaTort1

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Hi Trusty, when I think one of my tortoises isn't keeping itself hydrated by soaking I fill a kiddie pool with water throw in their favorite snack, usually strawberries, and soak them in that. When they go to eat the strawberries they also get a mouthful of water.

trusty

5 Year Member
BodaTort1 said:
Hi Trusty, when I think one of my tortoises isn't keeping itself hydrated by soaking I fill a kiddie pool with water throw in their favorite snack, usually strawberries, and soak them in that. When they go to eat the strawberries they also get a mouthful of water.

Bit chilly here to do that as I am in France and not fortunate enough to have lots of sunshine like you... :(

BodaTort1

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
You don't need to use a kiddie pool to accomplish this.. Whatever you are currently using to soak them in will work, whether that is a plastc bin, sink or even a bathtub. It is all about them eating the treats as it floats in water.

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
I know what you mean when you say the water cools quickly because it is so shallow. If you're going to soak her for about 20 to 30 mins I think it's fine to do it close to the your UV lamp BUT not directly underneath. Just off to the side so she gets some of the warmth. Or try soaking her close to the CHE. Let the CHE get hot and put her close to it while she soaks. Again. for safety not too close. Torts can sometimes be very shy or stubborn...and when we want the best for them it drives all of us crazy! You said she did nibble some food in your last post so don't fret, she will come around. If she's thirsty and she is in water I don't think she'll pass up on a drink. I'm not sure how long she can go without water, but if you continue soaking her, misting her, and she's in a humid environment, she'll be ok. If you didn't offer her water, kept her dry, and she was sitting under a hot light then that would be bad.

trusty

5 Year Member
trusty said:
BodaTort1 said:

Bit chilly here to do that as I am in France and not fortunate enough to have lots of sunshine like you... :(

She is eating yes,, dandelion leaves, clover and a rose petal..... I will soak her again in a while,,, its difficult as such a small amount of water goes cold so quickly!!

OK I have half covered her box with the lid that came with it and for the first time she has moved further... moved from under the uv/heat lamp to under the lid nearer to the water so she might possibly have drunk or is going to drink.. maybe she doesn;t feel so exposed now even though I had hides in there for her,,, I am not sure what she is used to so its difficult....

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Welcome to the group. You may not see her drink, but I bet she is, especially if she is eating also. They get some water through the foods, but you still need to provide additional water to keep them healthy. Some of my babies will drink each morning when soaking, some don't. The important thing is to make sure they have the water available. Keep it warm and change it a few times. If she won't come out soon, try making the water a little bit warmer. Some of mine simply love a warmer(don't want to say hot) soak and they just stretch out and enjoy.

The other advice given here is great also, so try it all and see what works for you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.