Soaking and age guesses?

tortoiseforum1

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles area
Hi! I have a leopard tortoise that I got a few months ago, and I was wondering how old he is? Our guess was 3? He is around 10 inches. Also, I've seen that some people soak and bathe their tortoises? There is a wide but pretty shallow terracotta pot base with water semi-buried in his enclosure. Is that good? or should I be soaking him? Also I know there are 2 common subspecies, but I'm not really sure how to tell the difference? Thanks! IMG-5017.jpg
IMG_4896.PNG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm guessing 7-9 years old and its the regular type of leopard.

I would soak the tortoise at least twice a week during hot weather in a tall sided opaque tub with warm water for 30-40 minutes. This is not the same as allowing the tortoise to drink from its dish. Both are necessary and good for them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi! I have a leopard tortoise that I got a few months ago, and I was wondering how old he is? Our guess was 3? He is around 10 inches. Also, I've seen that some people soak and bathe their tortoises? There is a wide but pretty shallow terracotta pot base with water semi-buried in his enclosure. Is that good? or should I be soaking him? Also I know there are 2 common subspecies, but I'm not really sure how to tell the difference? Thanks! View attachment 301376
Where does the tortoise sleep at night? Have you got a heated shelter?

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Tom's right. Also, hopefully you're able to help the pyramiding a little.

tortoiseforum1

Los Angeles area
I'm guessing 7-9 years old and its the regular type of leopard.

I would soak the tortoise at least twice a week during hot weather in a tall sided opaque tub with warm water for 30-40 minutes. This is not the same as allowing the tortoise to drink from its dish. Both are necessary and good for them.
Thank You! Should the water go to just below his head? Also, he likes lay down in the dish sometimes anyways, so that's why i was wondering.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank You! Should the water go to just below his head? Also, he likes lay down in the dish sometimes anyways, so that's why i was wondering.
Water level should be around 1/3 to 1/2 way up the shell. The tortoise should easily be able to breathe while laying down in the water.