So Ya Like Big Cherrys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Ok gang... here again is "Oscar" one of the alpha male Cherrys in da' herd. Here he is cruising along side the lil' RF varigated gal who is at 6" SCL . Notice his " HUMUNGO SIZE" ..... struting around at 12+" and heavy as a brick'.....
So much for Drawfs eh ?
Nsize.jpg
Nsize2.jpg
Ndrink.jpg
Noscar.jpg
and talk about a " SCREAMER" .... look at his coloring!

HAppy Tort~N
JD~:)

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern part of Sweden
He sure is a BIG good looking Cherry, JD !

Don't get me wrong, but he's so huge that it nearly looks like he's going to burst any second ? :D

How much does he weigh ?

LindaF

5 Year Member
What a handsome, big boy he is! King of the herd!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Geochelone_Carbonaria said:
He sure is a BIG good looking Cherry, JD !

Don't get me wrong, but he's so huge that it nearly looks like he's going to burst any second ? :D

How much does he weigh ?

Mike...." Oscar is the biggest cherry I have ,,,,and wieghed in this morning at just shy of 6 pounds...I thought he might be heavier than that since he dwarfs any other cherrys I own. The next biggest male is right around 4.5 pounds........how about your guys?

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Southern part of Sweden
N2TORTS said:
Mike...." Oscar is the biggest cherry I have ,,,,and wieghed in this morning at just shy of 6 pounds...I thought he might be heavier than that since he dwarfs any other cherrys I own. The next biggest male is right around 4.5 pounds........how about your guys?

Show me yours and I'll show you mine ? Let's compare sizes then...

I really got a bit surprised when I measured my Cherry males compared to yours :

The biggest one is 258 mm, that's just a bit over 10 inches, but the weight is 3470 grams and that's 7.65 pounds ! This one is approx 15 years old and still growing.

The next biggest one is 250 mm, that's just a bit under 10 inches, and the weight is 2809 grams and that's 6.19 pounds ! This male is 36 years old and the one with split scutes and he is not growing anymore.

My third male is much smaller, so I didn't measure him at all, my estimate of him is about 150 mm and 1000 grams...

Odd ! Or have I made something wrong during the conversion from grams to pounds ?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Geochelone_Carbonaria said:
N2TORTS said:

Show me yours and I'll show you mine ? Let's compare sizes then...

I really got a bit surprised when I measured my Cherry males compared to yours :

The biggest one is 258 mm, that's just a bit over 10 inches, but the weight is 3470 grams and that's 7.65 pounds ! This one is approx 15 years old and still growing.

The next biggest one is 250 mm, that's just a bit under 10 inches, and the weight is 2809 grams and that's 6.19 pounds ! This male is 36 years old and the one with split scutes and he is not growing anymore.

My third male is much smaller, so I didn't measure him at all, my estimate of him is about 150 mm and 1000 grams...

Odd ! Or have I made something wrong during the conversion from grams to pounds ?
WOWO MIKE!!!!
Those are some heavy boy'z..... I might be using a " not so accurate scale"...will have to find a real one ...here is a shot of Oscar at 12"
oscarsize.jpg

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Southern part of Sweden
[/quote]
WOWO MIKE!!!!
Those are some heavy boy'z..... I might be using a " not so accurate scale"...will have to find a real one ...here is a shot of Oscar at 12"

[/quote]

Yes they are, but I can tell you one thing, they don't like each other, that's for sure !

Have you got any good advice to give me in this matter JD ?

Should I keep them separated or should I let them fight until there is ONE winner ? It looks like they're trying to bite each others head of sometimes, so I keep them from each other. Have you any experience from this ? Will they get "friends" or will they keep fighting ?

And by the way, I took some pictures today of them, but my USB cable is in my office and I have a couple of days off, so you have to wait for them until monday...

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
WOWO MIKE!!!!

[/quote]

Yes they are, but I can tell you one thing, they don't like each other, that's for sure !

Have you got any good advice to give me in this matter JD ?

Should I keep them separated or should I let them fight until there is ONE winner ? It looks like they're trying to bite each others head of sometimes, so I keep them from each other. Have you any experience from this ? Will they get "friends" or will they keep fighting ?

And by the way, I took some pictures today of them, but my USB cable is in my office and I have a couple of days off, so you have to wait for them until monday...

[/quote]

Darn cables ....:p As far as the boy'z ...in my case ( excluding the redfoots) I have 3 large cherrys males kept with 9 females....all 10" + and kept together" . My males really dont fight per say .. but will bully around each other and even mounting the other from time to time. But this only happens with 2 of them , the other is very quiet and shy , but also a tad bit smaller than the other two. The wild thing is the mid size is actually the ruler...and most personality ( he is the one who sneaks into the house ALL the time ) ....but he earned it , Ive had him the longest and at first Oscar use to just walk all over him.....but " mortoise" gaurded his "grounds" . I have had in the past with an introduction of a new tort, some of the biting ect...but after watching them closely for hours upon hours.... they tend to " get over it " and seek their own spot. Of course all of this can vary with time of year , and breeding season ect .... . Torts are protected pretty darn well and not much damged if the same size tort is pestering it .... but bottom line if YOU think its unsafe ....then I would spit them . How many females are being kept with your boyz' ?

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Southern part of Sweden
To many quotes...I'll start from fresh !

I've got 3 males, 2 big ones as I mentioned (and one small thet is 6" ish and I'm not sure he's mature yet), and I've got 5 females (3 big ones 8-10 " and 2 smaller ones around 5-7").

I've only had my largest male for about 8 months, and he was kept all alone before that, but since he was so good looking I could not turn him down when he was for sale.

So maybe I should give them some more time to get to know each other ?

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Southern part of Sweden
JD, I gave them some time together yesterday to get them to know each other better, but I had to stop the fight after 15-20 minutes :(

They don't like each other, that's for sure, so I have to reconstruct my plans for the outdorr enclosure. Luckily, I've just built two new indoor habitats so I can keep two families in stead of one...

Here are the boys :

Simba_Scar_1.JPG Simba_Scar_2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.