Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The plants in the Aldabran pen were able to keep up with the demand this year. I was worried they would eat it down to the dirt, but it is growing very well. This is So, The Smaller One:

10-26-09Aldabran-1.jpg

10-26-09Aldabran-2.jpg

Bo was inside the shed.

Yvonne

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
She/He is So appealing. It would be fun just to sit in her pen for a few hours and watch what she does.

Yvonne, do you have an opinion as to which tortoise species are the most active?? Which ones sleep the most? And which ones are the most willing to interact with humans?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I can only speak for which species that I personally have. Don't know about most of the Mediterranean species, but Russians are the quickest. They move lightening fast and are very active. Sulcatas are next in the active category. My leopards seem to "sleep" the most. I hardly ever see them out grazing, but the evidence of the poop tells me that they must. My Manouria tortoises and my box turtles are the most humanized. They both come begging when they see me near their pens.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Yvonne what a great pen and I am glad it kept up with them this year. In the second pic she reminds me of a sea tutle with her feet tucked back so you can't see them. SO is just lovely.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Ok so we had a visit from the curator of the reptile house for the Los Angeles zoo at our last turtle club meeting and he mentioned aldab. he said he had one at 300 pound and they commonly get bigger than that. is that true? He said the world record for an aldab was something like 700 pounds, so wouldn't that make them the largest land tortoise?

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
Grazing galore.
SO doesn't look small at all! How much does Bo weigh?
I love your backyard btw!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
dmmj said:
Ok so we had a visit from the curator of the reptile house for the Los Angeles zoo at our last turtle club meeting and he mentioned aldab. he said he had one at 300 pound and they commonly get bigger than that. is that true? He said the world record for an aldab was something like 700 pounds, so wouldn't that make them the largest land tortoise?

It depends upon what article you are reading. If the person has been studying Galops, then according to him, the Galop is the largest land tortoise. But if the person is studying Aldabs, then the Aldab is the largest land tortoise. I have read different papers that say they both will reach around 600lbs.

My two were hatched in 2000, making them 9 this year. At nine years of age, they are still babies, but they weigh over 100lbs each.

Yvonne

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Having just seen both Bo and So in person on Tuesdsay, I can testify that these photos do not nearly express their magnificent size and docile nature. (Same goes for photos of Dudley...wow! Ya just gotta see him in person - is all I can keep saying to my husband).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
dreadyA said:
SO doesn't look small at all! How much does Bo weigh?

To be honest with you, I'm not sure what either of them weigh. I weighed Dudley about 2 years ago and he weighed 98lbs. when I look at the Aldabrans I see volume which is bigger than Dudley. So I'm just guessing that they weigh a little more than 100lbs. Bo is ever so slightly smaller than So.

Yvonne

katesgoey said:
Having just seen both Bo and So in person on Tuesdsay, I can testify that these photos do not nearly express their magnificent size and docile nature. (Same goes for photos of Dudley...wow! Ya just gotta see him in person - is all I can keep saying to my husband).

Bring him on down!!

Yvonne

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
emysemys said:
katesgoey said:

Bring him on down!!

Yvonne

We'll be holdin' ya to that once we find a weekend that allows us the time :(:)

Status
Not open for further replies.