So Proud of My Little Franklin!

FrankIinTheTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Just 5 days ago I got Franklin from a local Petsmart. He refused to eat until today, when I gave him an efficient warm water soak. After that I put him back in his enclosure and made a salad full of romaine lettuce, tomatoes, kale, and chopped carrots and put it on his flat rock. I brought him to the plate and he just walked over the food and snuggled under the CHE and UVB bulbs. An hour later I decide I'm going to try again and put him in front of his plate. He looks at the lettuce and takes a nibble! It was so satisfying to see him eat but it was only the littlest bit. Next hour I try again, and boy oh boy, I think he decided that the food was safe and delicious, know what he did? He gobbled the half the salad in less than 5 minutes! That's what triggered me to write this thread, I'm so proud of my little Franklin, he's wild caught and he managed to start eating like a tortoise that's been a pet for a year! Only 5 days it took him! The employees at Petsmart didn't even feed him salad, they fed him large food pellets! All I know is that Franklin is the best little tort I've ever had :)

LifewithFrank

California
Love the name of your tortoise! I too have a Franklin! Also so glad you saved him from petsmart!

Herman_WA

Washington
Just 5 days ago I got Franklin from a local Petsmart. He refused to eat until today, when I gave him an efficient warm water soak. After that I put him back in his enclosure and made a salad full of romaine lettuce, tomatoes, kale, and chopped carrots and put it on his flat rock. I brought him to the plate and he just walked over the food and snuggled under the CHE and UVB bulbs. An hour later I decide I'm going to try again and put him in front of his plate. He looks at the lettuce and takes a nibble! It was so satisfying to see him eat but it was only the littlest bit. Next hour I try again, and boy oh boy, I think he decided that the food was safe and delicious, know what he did? He gobbled the half the salad in less than 5 minutes! That's what triggered me to write this thread, I'm so proud of my little Franklin, he's wild caught and he managed to start eating like a tortoise that's been a pet for a year! Only 5 days it took him! The employees at Petsmart didn't even feed him salad, they fed him large food pellets! All I know is that Franklin is the best little tort I've ever had :)
Congrats!

FrankIinTheTortoise

Earth
Love the name of your tortoise! I too have a Franklin! Also so glad you saved him from petsmart!
I don't know if I mentioned in the post, but my Franklin is a Russian just like yours. I felt really bad for Franklin at Petsmart, they kept him in a 30-40 gallon tank from what I saw! I came up with Franklin from the show I used to watch when I was little "Franklin and Friends", he was a tortoise. How about you?

LifewithFrank

California
I don't know if I mentioned in the post, but my Franklin is a Russian just like yours. I felt really bad for Franklin at Petsmart, they kept him in a 30-40 gallon tank from what I saw! I came up with Franklin from the show I used to watch when I was little "Franklin and Friends", he was a tortoise. How about you?

I got my Franklin from a Reptile convention in Northern California. The women I bought Franklin from loves tortoises and has some of her own, but rescues tortoise from petsmarts, wild/surrendered, etc. and helps to find them homes to people who will care for them. She does sell them because she uses the money to purchase supplies and the tortoises themselves, but accidentally put and male and female together and they had babies. She mentioned she doesn't normally have baby tortoises, as she tries to avoid the males and females mating, because then she just has more tortoises to care for. Which I liked because then she wasn't just breeding the ones she had to make an extra profit off small tortoises. But hey, it worked out in my favor, because I initially went looking for a baby that I could gift to my Fiance. We too both loved the show Franklin and watched it as children so when we got him and realized it was a male it just worked out perfectly.