So my kid wants a tortoise...

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hey friends, I'm looking for a little advice and direction. So I have three children. I've posted pictures of them at various times and shared my sons piano skills a couple of times. They are soon to be 13, soon to be 11, and 2.
My 13 yr old loves reptiles but I haven't let him have any just yet but he's really maturing and it's something I likely won't say no to the next time he asks.
But my 11 yr old daughter has been asking for a tortoise of her own and I would like to get her one but I'm not sure *what* tortoise or if I should go with another small animal instead.
Our family loves animals. I have cared for a huge variety of animals in my life but my kids are city kids so they aren't exposed to the same types of animal experiences I was. But this child is an aspiring veterinarian and I would love to spark another passion in her so maybe she could specialize in reptiles since there aren't enough vets who are real knowledgable with reptiles. Wouldn't that be great?! Lol. (Sorry mom dreaming for my kid, bear with me)
Anyways, if I do decide to allow her to have a tortoise in the next couple of years, what should I get her? She wants the animal upstairs or in her room. Our house is big but her room really isn't. Her dresser is long and "could" house a decent sized tortoise table or tank. Aside from that space, the rest of the room wouldn't work. BUT, there is a large family room upstairs that could easily accommodate a large set up. We even have two rooms not being used at this time. An open topped tortoise table seems like it would be best for a kid who wants to watch and handle the animal. Which smaller tortoises have the most outgoing personalities? Which ones can be kept open table? Or open table after a year? (Not opposed to closed chamber for a year or so).

What other reptiles would be good choices for my 13 yr old? A bearded dragon? Suggestions welcome. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

justino4444

5 Year Member
In your situation I would of you are looking for a relatively small tort i would recommend a hermanns or russian however with all tortoises it is best to have an outdoor setup as we'll for UVB and overall Health.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
A bearded dragon is a good choice, but they need a pretty big cage (eventually). A dresser isn't going to get sunlight (I assume) so you can rule out animals that need 4+ hours of sunlight (unless you can provide that).
Leopard geckos are a personal favorite as well as little corn snakes. :D Water turtles are nice too.. Maybe you could find a smaller species! Thats be so cool! I also have a soft spot for chameleons. They stay small for a few months, then she'll need a cage that stands on the floor.

Oh! I forgot. I really, really admire your trying to expose your kids to animals :D

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
As far as lizards go, you can not beat a blue tongued skink for a young person. Much easier and hardier than a bearded dragon in my opinion.

If you want something smaller, I agree on the leopard geckos.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, redfooted tortoises do quite well indoors. You can provide a large plastic tote, then plant it with lots of different plants and flowers to diffuse the lighting. I think she'd love the idea of plants and tortoise.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
justino4444 said:
In your situation I would of you are looking for a relatively small tort i would recommend a hermanns or russian however with all tortoises it is best to have an outdoor setup as we'll for UVB and overall Health.

I will be having to set up my backyard for my leopard tortoises at some point. Right now I just take them out and babysit them, but as they mature they will need a safe place. And eventually their own yard and heated house for colder weather. Right now they are tiny and in their closed chamber inside the house. We have plans of moving fences for gardening and tortoises gardens [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

She also wants a bunny. My house is a regular petting zoo hahaha. Or will be [FLUSHED FACE]

tffnytorts said:
A bearded dragon is a good choice, but they need a pretty big cage (eventually). A dresser isn't going to get sunlight (I assume) so you can rule out animals that need 4+ hours of sunlight (unless you can provide that).
Leopard geckos are a personal favorite as well as little corn snakes. :D Water turtles are nice too.. Maybe you could find a smaller species! Thats be so cool! I also have a soft spot for chameleons. They stay small for a few months, then she'll need a cage that stands on the floor.

Oh! I forgot. I really, really admire your trying to expose your kids to animals :D

This summer I am arranging for my 11 yr old daughter to shadow a friend of mine on her goat farm. They have more than goats but goats is their main farm animal because she makes goat milk lotions and creams. I believe they also sell raw goat milk. But her farm also has chickens, mini pigs, dogs, cats, and various birds. My little mini-me wants to get her hands dirty and experience a little farm life so I think this small farm is a perfect start [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Thats so cool! A Flemish Giant is a nice choice for a rabbit.. They're big (hence the name) but are super super mellow like an old dog. You can bunny proof pry of your house (an open area without beds and large tables) and let him go free within a pen or sorts. Then you can litter box train him. Very easy. However they require an adults care at time. Like trimming their nails is quite the task.

Henny_13

I would get a Russian Tortoise I have one and they are very low maintenance and are quite easy to take care of . They are also pretty small . I house my inside with a uv heat lamp that I keep on throughout the day . The only thing with Russian Tortoises is that the enclosure has to be the right size or they won't grow properly . Hope this helps :)

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Russian/Greek/Hermann's tortoises all stay small! Indoors, they would, ideally, need an enclosure at least 6' long. They do need a UVB light if housed indoors, and, ideally, daily outings to a secure tortoise pen to be exposed to natural sunlight--same as with your leopards. :)

Agreed with the Blue Tongue Skink recommendation!!! I haven't had one yet, but everything I hear about them is phenomenal. And yes, Bearded dragons are an option, as well. Both need, ideally, about a 4 ft enclosure. Both need UVB lighting, especially Beardies! Just like the torts, both benefit from natural sunlight--so well-supervised outdoor sunning sessions are highly recommended.

Tiffany mentioned Corn snakes--these are also fantastic beginner reptiles. Just bear in mind they are escape artists! So a secure enclosure and a whole lot of trust in your daughter to keep it closed/secure is required... They also eat mice, which can be a deal-breaker for some people/kids.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Elohi said:
She also wants a bunny. My house is a regular petting zoo hahaha. Or will be [FLUSHED FACE]

Ohh, how fun!! My old roommate had a rabbit. Boy, could that little Mini Rex wreak havoc! We fashioned a 5' cage for when he couldn't be out roaming, and it still wasn't big enough. They're active little buggers, but a lot of fun if done right!

tffnytorts said:
I think animals that eat mice are awesome! Lol! :p;):D

Hahaha! Me, too! I have 13 snakes and can't imagine life without them. Love my legless scalebabies! Except when the big boys refuse to eat, like today. Jerks!

PetPlanet

Herman's tortoises are small live a very long time and are fairly easy to look after. I am 13 and I am getting a hermanns tortoise. They eat weeds and plants etc, make a fantastic pet, they are fascinating to watch or interact with and they are just amazing in my opinion. If you live in the UK then I suggest an indoor and outdoor enclosure. Also a solar glo heat lamp (large) with a 125 watt mercury vapour bulb, a ceramic heat bulb in case it gets too cold at night, calcium dust, topsoil and playsand substrate, fresh food daily, keep one end of the enclosure around 30 degrees Celsius and the other end around 20 in the day and let the temperature drop at night ( not too low ). Also DO NOT GET A VIVARIUM! get a tortoise table or transform a bookshelf into and enclosure, vivariums don't give tortoises enough ventilation and tortoises can deform their heads from banging on the class because they find it frustrating and confusing. If I am missing anything it will be on the tortoise trust website. The link is http://www.tortoisetrust.org I hope I helped you out :).

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Re: RE: So my kid wants a tortoise...

Floof said:
tffnytorts said:
I think animals that eat mice are awesome! Lol! :p;):D

Hahaha! Me, too! I have 13 snakes and can't imagine life without them. Love my legless scalebabies! Except when the big boys refuse to eat, like today. Jerks!

My frog eats pinkies. He refused to eat and it put me in a bad mood. Lol!

Kameo37

5 Year Member
I think corn snakes are an excellent starter reptile because they have a low set up cost, they are easy to handle and they eat once a week (except babies). Beardies and BTS are great, but I think the responsibility factor is high...They eat everyday, you have to vary their diet, check bulbs and temps, baths, evaluate poops for proper hydration not to mention they (beardies especially) can be picky and their brumation can throw you for a loop.
Corns are just not as fussy. They don't require as much space. You don't have to take them outside.
Also, I would always keep any animal in a public area of your house. You have to be the back up eyes. Ultimately, you are responsible for the pet...even though it's "their" pet. If something is going wrong with the pet, they may not know or they may feel guilty and you may not find out until it's too late. Also, if the snake does happen to escape, better in the living room/playroom/game room than in your bedroom! ;)
In the end, get the pet that YOU won't mind taking care of, if necessary. All pets are family decisions around here for that reason.

Laura Currado

5 Year Member
Oakland County, MI
Totally think a Bearded Dragon would be great for your son; I'm biased and have never had a Blue-tongued Skink so can't speak for that kind of reptile. We have around 50 Dragons and each one has its own personality.
As for a tortoise for your daughter and where to house it: my husband thinks I'm kidding when I tell him to build bunk beds: tortoise table on the bottom and our boy's bed on top! :) Great space-saver; only concern would be the dust so mind your substrate use.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Lol Laura that's a great idea! Even if she got a rabbit etc . I would use the top bunk to sleep in though and choose a rabbit or tortoise that doesn't need night heat to worry about fires.