So many new babies!

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Bodfish
Just received my new babies today.

They are home and safe and happy. I love them already ❤❤?? I got three Sudanese sulcatas from @Tom and two Leopards from @Gijoux to add to the one leopard hatchling I was given... First I would like to say, “thank you!” to both of these amazing breeders for being so patient with me as I asked questions and got things ready for the new arrivals and for them waiting for me.. The hatchlings are very well cared for. So absolutely excited about these little guys. I will take proper pictures tomorrow. I have some pictures from the breeders though so you will see them☺(Yay baby pictures).

Differences I noticed already compared to the tortoises I got before from (not reputable breeders) the ones before where definitely dryer than these guys, they had almost flaky skin and where definitely more bumpy even as hatchlings. The eyes on these new hatchlings are clearly brighter and they seem to explore more. The sulcatas are not afraid of anything, they are happy to come right to me. The ones I got before (sulcata and leopards) where extremely weary of people from the start and wouldn’t eat anything “new” unless I practically starved them, these guys are eating on the first day, and they are eating EVERYTHING lol. I can’t explain it but both the leopards and the sulcatas I received this time just seem extremely healthy and lively, way way different from before. The leopards are shy but they are still very active. All of them are smooth and beautiful.

On a side note-Tom my husband wants to know what tortoise wizard magic you use to make the tortoise hatchlings act so bold and carefree ?

pictures credit to Tom and Gijoux
(names will be figured out in the coming days)
Leopard 1
A19C05F5-7078-442C-A95D-8680C39C59A9.jpeg6EA17A74-F9DE-4B34-B394-C52EF10C4FF0.jpeg

Leopard 2
3E157480-B6B5-49B8-881A-9A37185754E0.jpeg5FFA8F04-C6A2-4028-A3FB-1586072F29DB.jpeg

Sudan Sulcata Trio
0972E464-5810-44F1-A885-2EBA449345E6.jpegAE23E34D-E2A5-4821-92A1-B942DBA2CB72.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nothing makes a hobbyist breeder happier than seeing their babies go to a great home where they will be properly and well cared for. I hope you and your family enjoy them for decades to come. :)

I share that tortoise wizard magic here every day. Its so easy to start babies right, and there are so many good examples of people doing it right here on our forum. @Gijoux is most definitely one of them. I'm hoping we can all lead by example, and that others will follow our example, experiment and learn more, and then come back and teach me more. I thank you for the accolades, but we are a team here. I've learned most of what I know from people right here on this forum, and hope to keep learning from them and anyone else that knows something too.

I'm reminded of newer members that are being bombarded with the old wrong info and aren't sure which way to go. @Fuglen Here is your sign man. Show this thread to your fellow tortoise keepers that still have the wrong info. Invite them to come here and talk. We'll explain it to them in a diplomatic and helpful way.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nothing makes a hobbyist breeder happier than seeing their babies go to a great home where they will be properly and well cared for. I hope you and your family enjoy them for decades to come. :)

I share that tortoise wizard magic here every day. Its so easy to start babies right, and there are so many good examples of people doing it right here on our forum. @Gijoux is most definitely one of them. I'm hoping we can all lead by example, and that others will follow our example, experiment and learn more, and then come back and teach me more. I thank you for the accolades, but we are a team here. I've learned most of what I know from people right here on this forum, and hope to keep learning from them and anyone else that knows something too.

I'm reminded of newer members that are being bombarded with the old wrong info and aren't sure which way to go. @Fuglen Here is your sign man. Show this thread to your fellow tortoise keepers that still have the wrong info. Invite them to come here and talk. We'll explain it to them in a diplomatic and helpful way.
Thank you Tom and Brooke. It takes a lot of work, but so rewarding. Have fun Brooke!

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
I remember the struggles last year so I'm so happy that you got some well starte dbabies :)
Yes I was definitely hurt by the loss back then but it was a lesson I needed to learn and now I’m lucky to have some absolutely stunning well started babies.

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
My husband told me we have a mulberry tree, he saw the leaves I got from Tom and then was like that’s right outside.... well I feel dumb ????‍♀️ this was planted by the previous home owner so I have no idea what it is.. It’s probably about a 5-6 year old tree... an plant app confirmed it was mulberry but I want to be 100% positive. I don’t use pesticides or fertilizer and we have owned the home for 3 years so it’s already safe to eat if it is a mulberry tree.. Can I get a confirmation my husband was right? @Tom C8AA3B98-ED3B-4C97-85A1-8BDD869AE08C.jpegBB3995E7-9A0C-4949-8E52-3E4D2388DF53.jpeg7388A088-6591-4F7A-A4AB-14065B381EBA.jpegF485B730-747F-4A31-A452-803623A0EF55.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yep. That's a mulberry. And a healthy looking one too. You've got yourself a fantastic food source there. Prune it back after the leaves fall off later in the year, and protect it from gopher damage.

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
Yep. That's a mulberry. And a healthy looking one too. You've got yourself a fantastic food source there. Prune it back after the leaves fall off later in the year, and protect it from gopher damage.
Yay! I’m really surprised my husband was right he’s not a plant guys at all. Lol I didn’t even think about these trees. We apparently have 3 of them, all the same size. I will definitely prune them when the leaves fall in the fall.. I’m so disappointed I didn’t realize what these where Especially when I was looking so hard for the one leopard I had.. I guess I’ve only ever seen the full grown trees that look like the tree in Harry Potter lmao... I am thrilled with this find ☺️?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yay! I’m really surprised my husband was right he’s not a plant guys at all. Lol I didn’t even think about these trees. We apparently have 3 of them, all the same size. I will definitely prune them when the leaves fall in the fall.. I’m so disappointed I didn’t realize what these where Especially when I was looking so hard for the one leopard I had.. I guess I’ve only ever seen the full grown trees that look like the tree in Harry Potter lmao... I am thrilled with this find ☺?
Three of them??? That's great. The trees will grow as your tortoises grow, and you'll always have some.

You are not alone. Many many people tell me they can't find a mulberry tree near them. I always tell them they are everywhere. In the few instances where I actually went to their house or neighborhood, there has always been at least one or many within walking distance. Often in their own back yard or a neighbor's yard bordering theirs.

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
Ok so it’s been so extremely busy I was only able to get a few pictures of the babies.. here they are. They are in the same set up but different enclosures. enclosure 1 -3 leopards and enclosure 2- 3 sulcatas.. at the end of this month I will be setting up a two very large indoor enclosures. ?9C1AF548-A065-4818-815C-D4E923F681BD.jpeg602B356A-F53B-415E-AA25-3D0B204A6488.jpeg8C11920E-FACF-4252-9E36-2D6138E2FE2D.jpegF395A0CC-BED4-48F7-BD91-7E65EF59EC4A.jpeg992B3BC0-E8BA-4DAB-A322-907F9F074C7A.jpegB4934CAA-59B0-4013-90A6-CE3B19FA4062.jpeg521C9678-DB53-4295-B5C4-202B0764601E.jpeg96B3CE40-F657-4913-A176-717A2F7A3A3B.jpeg

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
The leopards are so pretty.
Yes I personally love the pattern and colors on leopards, but I still think that sulcatas are my favorite due to their personalities. I feel like I only ever get to watch the leopards but it’s like they don’t want to actually “love” the weird human. Lol ?

Whats that noise... I think I hear the sulcata babies weeping... :(

My babies are way to loved to weep??

(On a personal note this is why I think a sulcata leopard hybrid fascinates me so much, they are both my favorite species combined. Not that I would ever breed/keep them together (I still find the combination highly intriguing?) (?don’t hate me) (I know hybridization is a bad thing?) (I’m only human we all have flaws?)

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
Omg they eat so much.. I went and bought some spring mix because my whole family is sick and I need a cheat day ? just came down with whatever it is like 2-3 days ago.. I added mazuri and mulberry leaves with the mixed greens and put hay pellets on top of the bad stuff ?

❤️pictures ❤️

my shy leopards ??‍♀️
3703CE45-39F9-4EE8-928E-8FDC5E3CA104.jpeg
the Sudans- they all wanted to make sure I got their “good side” ?477AB92D-EAB7-4C39-BD79-BD91434FDCC3.jpeg

she is surfing on a mulberry leaf
7DD70A6E-245D-4674-8FC1-91013FE89A53.jpeg

Look how smooth my original leopard has become
A8A6357F-C0B3-48F2-8518-97DF816C7A29.jpeg