So I took in a Russian thinking it was a Greek

saginawhxc

Location (City and/or State)
Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Hannibal here was a junior high school office pet. He has been set up on a table in a school office for the last five years. It was a 2x3 table, with no hide, has been fed an less than ideal diet, and has never really seen sunshine. At the beginning of summer they put up an ad on craigslist advertising him as a Greek, but I think they might have been asking too much because he sat there for two months. Then I came into the picture. With school a couple of weeks away I took this little guy off their hands. Wasn't really looking for a Russian or as I actually thought a Greek, but he needed to go somewhere and he definitely needed to see some better care than he had been getting.

I had started a thread about this over in the sub for Greeks, but now that I believe he is a Russian I will also introduce him here too. Here is the original thread. A little more info, and some more pics over there. I'm not going to repost everything. Just wanted to show him off here too.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/so-i-might-be-adopting-a-greek.145071/

Unfortunately being way too busy with work and life the last week or so I still haven't done too much for him. In fact since he went on hunger strike upon arrival he is arguably worse off since coming to me at the moment. I have plans to build a much bigger table for him, and I'm working on a fully fenced in and covered walk in outdoor enclosure to house this guy and my 7 month old Sulcata. Two separate pens, all inside one walk in structure.

The other day I gave him some super supervised outdoor time for what may have been his first romp through the great outdoors in his whole life. In the week I have had him it was far and away the most active I've seen him. Well today I threw some cinder blocks down and made him a real quick temporary outdoor enclosure that was about 10'x4'. The daughter and I must have sat out there and watched him stomp around and explore for at least an hour. He finally ate a little, not much but it was a start.

Anyways here are some pictures of him trying to figure out how to escape his new prison.
IMG_8298.jpg IMG_8301.jpg IMG_8313.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A school couldn't do a little research to figure out what he was, very sad! To think they are teaching kids. He is for sure a Russian. Glad you got him, even though you he wasn't what you wanted.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
A school couldn't do a little research to figure out what he was, very sad! To think they are teaching kids. He is for sure a Russian. Glad you got him, even though you he wasn't what you wanted.
He was fed a diet of green peppers, green beans, carrots, squash, and lettuce. I figured a school would do better research than that.

surfergirl

they are fun, bold active torts! mine all come running now when I feed them. pretty soon this guy will be eating well. my picky ones for the first few weeks have totally changed into pigs and want to eat all the time. glad you are giving him a better life. outdoor time is so great for them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
His eyes look just a tiny bit "squinty." I'm too lazy to go back and re-read you post. Did you soak him?

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
He has been getting daily soaks. He freaked out the first one I gave him. Almost flipped himself trying to escape. Now he stretches out and is super relaxed for soaks. Seems to enjoy it actually.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Oh my goodness. So I've been stressing out a bit about little Winchester (as he is now called). He has barely ate anything. He has picked at a few things, and possibly ate a little out of his outdoor enclosure. I started out with some spring mix and mixed it with a little bit of dandelion and plantain. Refused to touch it. I tried different combinations of spring mix, dandelion, plantain, herbal hay, Mazuri, zoo med, collard and turnip greens, and mustard. Every once in a while I would suspect he nibbled, but sometimes it is hard to tell if he ate a little or just plain marched over top his food dish. Today I gave in and bought a head of iceberg lettuce. The little guy walked right over and started eating it out of my hand. Okay, I guess I finally have a starting point. I guess if I can get him eating this I will start mixing in other stuff.

Meanwhile I took in a member's two sulcatas this weekend. Those two didn't hesitate. They are eating everything. I was joking earlier I don't think I even have to mow anymore. They ate more in the first five minutes than Winchester ate in the last two weeks.

Attachments

• 1473297036295.jpg
    1473297036295.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 31

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Yeah somehow I went from one baby to four tortoises in the last two weeks. Was a little unprepared, but the right situations fell in our laps where we could really help people out. I have some photos of the new guys over in the sulcata sub. They are in my progress thread for my sulcata baby, The Mr T Experience. I'm trying to figure out how to direct link it from here on my phone and I can't seem to figure it out. Sorry.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Plus, I have the resources. It's not like I over extended myself. So I'm glad that I could give these tortoises new homes, and in the case of this Russian a far superior one.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I know what you mean, I have plenty but always take more. I'm in the process of a new pen for a possible Red Foot rescue and working on plans for my building on my land in the country. I was always told if you get the bug for these guys it never ends.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
We are in the process of buying right now. Well, we haven't found the right house yet, because I am way too picky. Today we looked at one where I was like "The house is okay.... but the garage and backyard are fantastic. Let's get this one." I don't think my girlfriend is amused at my criteria for house hunting.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Oh my goodness. So I've been stressing out a bit about little Winchester (as he is now called). He has barely ate anything. He has picked at a few things, and possibly ate a little out of his outdoor enclosure. I started out with some spring mix and mixed it with a little bit of dandelion and plantain. Refused to touch it. I tried different combinations of spring mix, dandelion, plantain, herbal hay, Mazuri, zoo med, collard and turnip greens, and mustard. Every once in a while I would suspect he nibbled, but sometimes it is hard to tell if he ate a little or just plain marched over top his food dish. Today I gave in and bought a head of iceberg lettuce. The little guy walked right over and started eating it out of my hand. Okay, I guess I finally have a starting point. I guess if I can get him eating this I will start mixing in other stuff.
This was almost a month ago and in the time since everything seems to be failing. He will sometimes take a bite or two of the lettuce if I don't mix it with anything, but nothing else... Then out of nowhere he nibbled on cactus pad! Then back to nothing for the last week... Until the last few days he has spent way more time outdoors than in, and in not sure how much he has been eating out there. He has been pooping a little tiny bit each day, and he is active and energetic, so I've only been a little worried.

HE IS FINALLY EATING!!!

I gave him another cactus pad, but put it in the center of his dish that had a little (stupid) lettuce, and a mix of store greens with a pinch of Mazuri and tortoise hay on top. I waved the cactus in front of his nose to see if he would eat some (I have never tried hand feeding him before) and he looked like he was going to go for it... and then he walked away. So I did something else I've never done. I picked him up and set him down in front of his dish again. He looked like he was thinking about it... and then he walked away. Out of desperation I decided to try one more time. And just like that he went to town! He ate more in the last 15 minutes then he has in the last month!

Yay for Winchester!

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
It's been almost a month. Right after the last update I put him in a brand new table that tripled the size he had, still not as much as he deserves, but a vast improvement.

He went right back to hunger strike mode...

Then yesterday I dropped a leaf in front of him while he was basking and he gobbled it up. Did it again with the same result. So I took his whole dish of food and dumped it out onto his basking rock.

He ate every last bite!!!

Even when he has "ate" it was never much. A nibble here, a bite there, maybe a leaf or two.

But yesterday he demolished it like it was me that was purposefully starving him for the last two months.

Today food on basking stone and he is mowing down again.

Good times.