So far, so good? Or is it?

DawnH

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast Texas
Tuleo will be two in July and todays weight has him at 1292 grams. He has always been a bit of a lightweight and I am wondering if I need to worry about this, or if it is better to just "measure" how he is doing based on his how his shell looks (IE: he might be smaller but his shell is smooth (getting what he needs) so he is just dandy.) He eats great - just want to have some assurance or tips if I should be doing anything else/better for him.

Thanks for the help/assurance. I worry.

5715-weight-jpg.129011

Alaskamike

South Florida
I adopted one that was 2, and slighty smaller, with pyramiding. He was 1077 grams when i got him. There is a great variance in size and growth rates amoung sulcatta. Many think it has to do with the specific genetics of the one you have. In some Southern areas of Africa they grow larger. others say that the husbandry is the main difference, how they were started etc. . Not to worry. Yours looks great, smooth shell, undoubtably you are giving great care.

My "Tiny" gets to eat all he wants, I never spare good healthy food. But I do not give treats like fruit except on rare occasions. He does get naural growing grasses, broadleafs, weeds, hybiscus flowers, aloe, cactus pads, and Mazaui. Plenty of water, sun and good humidity since I live in florida, and he lives outside. In the 7 months I've had him he's gone from 1077 grams to 3744 grams. He gains from 7-10% / month. There will always be ones who are larger, and those that are smaller. My only concern is proper nutrition, pleanty of sunlight,good hide, exersize and the right temps. If he has all that, his growth rate is not very important. I keep records more to make sure there are no suden changes (like a radical drop in growth rate) that would signal a need for vet care.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Thanks Mike, I appreciate the feedback. I do need to be better in regards to record growth! Thus far Tuleo has had NO fruits and eats what I have grown myself in the yard. He is still inside at night but hangs out in his outdoor oasis weather permitting (we plan on moving in a year and will be making his full time oasis then.)

I very much appreciate the tips!

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
One more question - he still needs an enclosed indoor enclosure, correct? I am going to redo his current indoor one and wanted to check first...

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Tuleo will be two in July and todays weight has him at 1292 grams. He has always been a bit of a lightweight and I am wondering if I need to worry about this, or if it is better to just "measure" how he is doing based on his how his shell looks (IE: he might be smaller but his shell is smooth (getting what he needs) so he is just dandy.) He eats great - just want to have some assurance or tips if I should be doing anything else/better for him.

Thanks for the help/assurance. I worry.

5715-weight-jpg.129011
That's right where MONSTRO! was at 23 months...so you're definitely on the right track! Wait 'til you see what happens over the course of the upcoming year! ;) BTW...he looks perfect!

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
That's right where MONSTRO! was at 23 months...so you're definitely on the right track! Wait 'til you see what happens over the course of the upcoming year! ;) BTW...he looks perfect!

Thanks so much Dean (for the heart attack and kind words.) My husband has heard me say "Does he look like he is pyramiding?!" about 293248 times since we got him at five weeks. I am a wee bit paranoid. As far as size/the future goes, I have actually taken a side job with all funds going towards Tuleo's oasis when we move. I figure we need to build it tank proof and it looks like (with that you have said) I might be right.... *Insert shaky laughter here.*

*gulp* :eek:

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
Tom can confirm but it is my understanding that the size/weight ratio is more important.

Example:

target weight in grams is the straight-line carapace length in centimeters, cubed, times 0.191.

So, in reverse, if your tortoise is 1292,

(1292/.191)^3=18.9 cm or 7.44"

Is that about right?

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Thank you! Luckily I have a shipping scale tucked away - I think next month I will need it. Notice how nice he is laying? I had given him the "down/stay" command and he listens quite well.

(Gawd I crack myself up...)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom can confirm but it is my understanding that the size/weight ratio is more important.

Example:

target weight in grams is the straight-line carapace length in centimeters, cubed, times 0.191.

So, in reverse, if your tortoise is 1292,

(1292/.191)^3=18.9 cm or 7.44"

Is that about right?

I've never used formulas like that. There is just so much variety in sizes and shapes. For example, the Sudans have a little higher dome, while the Malis have a sloped back. That missing volume would have to throw this ratio off a bit. I just measure length and weight and leave it at that.