So... (didn't poop)

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, VA
Keep it up your Tortie seems to be in excellent hands now![emoji257][emoji257][emoji257][emoji257]

aqualungs

Perry, OH
I caught mine eating a turd yesterday right as I was going to remove it. Happened again today.. I’m just not fast enough lol.
I read that they do this and it helps their gut flora. They’re basically eating the fruits, veges, and some good old gut flora.

Ketta

Venezuela
I caught mine eating a turd yesterday right as I was going to remove it. Happened again today.. I’m just not fast enough lol.
I read that they do this and it helps their gut flora. They’re basically eating the fruits, veges, and some good old gut flora.
Lol still its gross! XD

Randdawgg

West Kelowna BC
I call that tortoise breath!!!!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's called recycling.

Randdawgg

West Kelowna BC
I have a 5 month old african leopard tort.I recently gave him a tercotta pot as a house.I sunk his house into the subtrate on its side.By accident Im seeing the benefits.The pottery material wicks up moisture keeping his house humidified and ocassionally he actually rubs his beak on the pot side.Apparently in the wild torts will use rocks to trim their beaks.Funny how simple things can work out to be good things!!!

0-1.jpg

aqualungs

Perry, OH
I have a 5 month old african leopard tort.I recently gave him a tercotta pot as a house.I sunk his house into the subtrate on its side.By accident Im seeing the benefits.The pottery material wicks up moisture keeping his house humidified and ocassionally he actually rubs his beak on the pot side.Apparently in the wild torts will use rocks to trim their beaks.Funny how simple things can work out to be good things!!!

View attachment 272373

I can hear my babies in their clay pot hides doing the same thing!

Ketta

Venezuela

View attachment 272373
I can hear my babies in their clay pot hides doing the same thing!
Do you think this could help to keep his enclosure humidity up?
15581171833161160874595.jpg
I can add it to his enclosure if it will benefit him.

Randdawgg

West Kelowna BC
Absolutely.Clay pots absorb moisture and the my tort spends 10 to 12 hours per day there.You can also pour water on the pot and around it.

Randdawgg

West Kelowna BC

View attachment 272373
I was gonna mention that I come from a background of fish keeping fresh and salt water.Last year I set up a dirted tank which is pottiing soil underneath the substrate.The tank amazed me.It stayed clean the aquatic plants grew like crazy.Stay with me .I have done a similiar set up with my tort enclosure and the benefits are really good.Grass and plants grow really well and the torts waste is awesome fertilizer for the grass and plants.In a way it is a self sustaining environment.I water his enclosure two times per week.No cleaning required and no smell.So far so good!!!!