Sneezing fit

brookefenge

Location (City and/or State)
GUILDFORD
Hi, I have a seven month old hermanns who has been getting these sneezing fits for the last few days. He is doing it right now and the 'episode' has been going on for about 15 minutes. Could go on for longer. He does these tiny squeeky sneezes. I'd be tempted to say they're more like hiccups were it not for the fact that I know that tortoises don't have diaphragms. He doesn't have any discharge from his eyes or nose and he's still gobbling up his food. I have turned his temperatures up in case of RIs and it's about 40 degrees C now. He also has a heat mat for night time. Does this sound like an RI? Or do tortoises get common allergies?

Randy Micheals

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
British columbia
Is it possible he is getting food in his nares when eating?

RI is typically from temps being too low yeah. but I'm not sure about allergies.

brookefenge

GUILDFORD
I did wonder if it might have been dandelion fluff but I've stopped offering those and he's still doing it. He doesn't eat anything else fluffy and his substrate isn't fibrous or dusty.... Very odd

Randy Micheals

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
British columbia
Yeah was going to ask about your substrate but if that's not an issue hmm.

When I feed mushy pellets my tort sometimes gets it all over his face and "wheezes" a bit from this.