Snapping turtle adoption--need to get set up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

-JM

5 Year Member
Hey guys! It's been a while! School is keeping me pretty busy so I haven't been around to show you how much my tortie has grown.

That's not the purpose of this post, either (sorry--pics soon?).

My professors know I love turtles/tortoises, and one of them has a student who is trying to get rid of her "baby" snapping turtle. Apparently, she got it when it was "quarter sized" and can't take care of it anymore. I'm not sure how big it is now, but the professor asked if I could take it in.

It's been a very long time since I've had aquatic turtles, and I don't know what all they need for a set up.

I'm not sure what all she's sending the turtle with, so I acquired a 40gallon tank, but what else should I do to get ready?

I'm planning on keeping the tank in my garage, so the ambient temperature should be around 70 degrees.

Any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
If I remember correctly they are not strong swimmers, or maybe I should say not avid swimmers, like RES. So a shallower setup would probably be more ideal for it, they like to sit a lot and catch their prey by wriggling their little pink tongue. A UVB light should also be provided, they get very very big, man I am jealous they are illegal here in California, but I would like to get one so bad.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
This is my friends Alligator snapper. He's in a 150 gal tank now. About 15 in. of water. He sits in the same spot all day with his mouth open, and waits for a fish to pass by. Sometimes he moves to the other side of the tank and does the same thing.

043-3.jpg

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
In the wild snappers can be found in water deeper than people think. Those rivers/streams/lakes they live in are usually abundant with lots of underwater vegetation and branches. But in captivity that type of setup is usually not within people's limits, so they're better off with shallow water. I'm not gonna list out everything a snapper needs; http://chelydra.org/ This is where you should get started with snapper husbandry.

Good luck; they're real neat animals and rewarding to keep. :)

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
We live by a river and the neighbor girl will usually catches a few small (quarter size) common snappers each year. I have kept them at room temperature 72 degrees and have the water level just above the top of there shell, I include a flat rock that they can climb on if they want. they are probably one of hardiest turtles around. I feed them night crawlers and reptomin. I found out that it is not wise to keep more than one in the same enclosure.

-JM

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the advice. Hopefully I can get all set up this weekend, and I'll post some pictures so you all can give me some feedback.
The website you linked me to is REALLY helpful, so thanks a lot.
I don't know when the little guy is getting here, so I'll keep you updated.

methos75

10 Year Member!
Lawrenceville, IL via Walker, LA
Strong filtration is needed, they are messy little buggers and they grow quick, a 40 Gal will not last him long. I have two and as others have stated, they are not strong swimmers and needs lots to climb.

-JM

5 Year Member
Good news guys! I got the turtle and she's in decent health. She was being kept in a very small tank but she's alert and hungry hungry hungry.
I will post pictures as soon as I have time to upload them from my phone, but she's already eating feeder minnows on her own (she's been on pellets until I got her, so I was excited to see her chase them) and is heckling the larger fish in the tank.

I think she's pretty happy, and the information I got from ya'll was really helpful in getting prepared for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.