Snakes from the past

Status
Not open for further replies.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
Just figured I'd share some of the snakes I've kept in the past. I do not own any of these currently.

Sunbeam Snake
sunbeam2.jpg

Chinese Beauty Snake
sun1.jpg

Black Rat Snake
darkknight.jpg

Never was really sure on this one. I think it was a Texas x Grey Ratsnake intergrade
IMG_1024.jpg

Kenyan Sand Boa
chubbs1.jpg

Solomon Islands Dwarf Tree Boa
Queequeg_mini.jpg

qscave2.jpg

DSC_2154.jpg

DSC_2158.jpg

Never figured this one out either. Obviously some tri-color kingsnake or milksnake!
HPIM1026.jpg

HPIM1031.jpg

California Kingsnake (nice rescue story to this one)
albinoKing.jpg

"Rootbeer" Cornsnake (Great Plains x Corn intergrade)
AneryCorn.jpg

"Creamsicle" Cornsnake (albino Rootbeer)
ButterCorn.jpg

Madagascar Giant Hognose snake
checkers1.jpg

checkers2.jpg

Western Hognose snakes
brisby.jpg

poggly1.jpg

Yeti3.jpg

Mosiac-phase Eastern Chain kingsnake
easternking1.jpg

Rowan Cty locality Eastern Chain kingsnakes
Daisy3.jpg

Duke4.jpg

Mexican Black kingsnake
IMG_0740.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

Cape House snakes (variations of normals and albinos)
thirteen10.jpg

Stacy1.jpg

albinoCape.jpg

amber2.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

chase10.jpg

Common Brown house snakes (dark/black locality)
cuddy.jpg

Cuddy_3.jpg

foreman.jpg

Dotted House Snakes (quite variable!)
cameron4.jpg

IMG_1015.jpg

IMG_1096.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1250.jpg

Olivia4.jpg

acrantophis

5 Year Member
Great colubrids! I have never seen a livea sunbeam snake. I should

Woops! I was saying! I have never seen a malagasy hognose or a sunbeam snake, other than in books! You sure love your house snakes! I will have to post a pic of a new world python, loxocemus bicolor, I caught in costa rica. You are probably the only one who would appreciate it!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Cool stuff. I love the king variations. And that milksnake is a beauty whatever it is.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
acrantophis said:
Great colubrids! I have never seen a live sunbeam snake.

Yeah, regrettably those were an impulse purchase in Daytona 2010. I knew a buddy who kept them successfully and figured I could glean enough info from him to do well with them. Part of my failure I think, though, is that the dealer I got them from claimed they were eating well on live mice. I couldn't get them to eat ANYTHING, and personally think I was taken for a ride. But oh well...

They are definitely NOT for the novice keeper. They like to be hot, humid, hidden, and NOT handled. Unfortunate for so beautiful a snake, they prefer to be burrowed several inches in mud all the time. They do not make a good display animal, so unless you just really have an interest them, they're not for anyone who wants a cool snake to look at or play with. Plus, their natural diet is amphibians, so there's the obvious difficulty of getting wildcaught specimens to convert to a rodent diet.

Some people have good luck with them, but unfortunately, I did not. 3 months in, the male died, and shortly after, the female followed.

I have never seen a malagasy hognose....other than in books!

Really? They'll never be super-popular because of their country of origin and the fact they're mildly venomous (rear-fanged), but they often pop up on Kingsnake.com and Fauna. I see them every so often at an expo. I used to have a pair and they accidentally bred for me one summer. I can't wait for the day to have them again. Basically a hognose the size of a bullsnake!:D

You sure love your house snakes!

Yeah, those were my passion from 2008-2011. Invested in some breeding projects, but after my first baby came, and got into tortoises a bit, I lost interest in the business side of things and didn't have a lot of time to devote to a room full of snakes anyway. So I sold them all off. Very cool snakes, though. There's still a few house snakes species I never got that are still on my wish list.

I will have to post a pic of a new world python, loxocemus bicolor, I caught in costa rica. You are probably the only one who would appreciate it!

By all means, do!:)

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Great snakes, thanks for sharing! I LOVE that Beauty snake especially. Then again, I have a soft spot for Asian Rats. :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I bet the chinese beauty snake is conceited.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
dmmj said:
I bet the chinese beauty snake is conceited.

Yeah, she was a cool snake. Unfortunately, she died 4 months in due to an unknown virus or bug. Hard lesson learned regarding proper quarantine with new animals purchased from an expo. She did great, ate great...then one week, she regurgitated the day after feeding, then died the next.

Status
Not open for further replies.