Snake

Status
Not open for further replies.

South FL Katie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Coral Springs, FL
We ran into this critter (literally, we almost ran it over!) on our Ocala trip. I of course go jumping out of the car to get a picture with my fiance screaming after me not to get so close lol Probably wasn't the best idea thinking back on it :p No idea what kind it is, any ideas? It sure was pretty.

ratcamp2010867c.jpg

ratcamp2010869c.jpg

ratcamp2010865c.jpg

latshki

5 Year Member
very pretty indeed!
looks like a diamondback, but not 100% sure

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I believe you had an encounter with a eastern diamondback rattlesnake. Thank you for leaving it alone, too many people kill on sight.

South FL Katie

5 Year Member
Coral Springs, FL
He didn't rattle at us! He was just minding his own business crossing the road :)

Wow, I didn't realize they could bite you when you're 4 feet away....glad I know now!!!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Kayti that web site was very interesting. Do you know of one like that for Southern Ca. snakes? I have found 2 or 3 different types of rattlers and a few non venomous and would like to know what they are. I really want a king snake for my yard. I am thinking about buying one, but odds are it would leave.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Angi said:
Kayti that web site was very interesting. Do you know of one like that for Southern Ca. snakes? I have found 2 or 3 different types of rattlers and a few non venomous and would like to know what they are. I really want a king snake for my yard. I am thinking about buying one, but odds are it would leave.

It would be very hard, if not impossible, to keep a snake contained in your yard without elaborate netting and wire. Kingsnakes do make great pets though, and some are stunning with their patterns.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
What a cute snake :D It makes me laugh thinking of you taking pictures of the snake and your fiance sceaming at you to not get so close lol :D Thanks for being nice with the snake and let him go :)

S

Scooter

Great pictures! When I read your store I had to laugh, it sounds just like my fiancée and I. Every time I see a snake I start taking pictures and he is yelling not to get to close or trying to hold me back so I don't try to catch it lol. :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know what kind it is, but I've heard that there are some anomolies in the rattle snake world, and some of them that are supposed to have rattles, don't.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Last I had heard rattlesnakes were not rattling as much as they used to, to avoid capture from proffesional rattle snake hunters. I am so glad the edit button is back.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
HaHa Harris I would not want to force a snake to stay in my yard, but he might like it and decide to stay. All my snakes, lizard and frogs are free range (wild). I love to look out my window and see a lizard basking in the sun or see them running all over when I water the yard. I don't see frogs or toads as often so it is a treat.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
This baby is definitely an EASTERN DIAMONDBACK...the largest venomous snake in the US...ran into one when i worked at LCS. It was almost 7 feet I'd say and at least 45-50 pounds...very thick! Don't wanna get nipped by one of these.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
What a cool looking snake! I've never seen a snake here in IL :p So boring.
I saw a tiny garter snake in Michigan once and I got really close and it opened it's mouth and lunged at me...scared the crap out of me haha

-JM

5 Year Member
What a pretty snake!

I would also like to assure you guys that rattlers DO still rattle, or at least they do around here. We had several at the zoo I interned at. If you so much as opened a door it sounded like a hailstorm in the building. I've been rattled at walking through my pasture as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.