Smelly pee

RubyandSquirt

I posted about a week and a half ago about my red foot having a smoked fish smell by her tail. I quickly figured out the scent is actually coming from her pee. Why would her pee start to smell this way? She is acting normally- eating well, active, alert, etc. We clean her enclosure every morning and soak her and wipe her down to wash away the smell (She seems to pee more at night in her sleep, so of course she lays in it all night.). It was suggested that it was from some food she ate. We eliminated certain foods that were newly introduced but the smell persists. There are days that it is less pungent. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My three new Redfoot also smell. I wish it was only smoked fish.
Is this an established tortoise? Have you had it for a while?
I'd give her a soak in some neck deep water and see if it helps. It could be some sort of an infection, etc.
Mine stunk because of lack of basic care by the previous keeper.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I posted about a week and a half ago about my red foot having a smoked fish smell by her tail. I quickly figured out the scent is actually coming from her pee. Why would her pee start to smell this way? She is acting normally- eating well, active, alert, etc. We clean her enclosure every morning and soak her and wipe her down to wash away the smell (She seems to pee more at night in her sleep, so of course she lays in it all night.). It was suggested that it was from some food she ate. We eliminated certain foods that were newly introduced but the smell persists. There are days that it is less pungent. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

As far as I know, diet (and I'd imagine hydration level) is the biggest contributor to urine odour. What is she currently eating and what have you recently eliminated?

RubyandSquirt

She is almost 11 years old. We got her two months ago from a family that had her for 8 years. We have been following the protocol set by them other than adding some new foods: mushroom, spring mix, blueberries, mangoes, and zucchini. We plan to continue adding more but do not want to shock her system with new food overload. She gets greens everyday: romaine lettuce, and kale and/or collards (following her diet of 8 years prior). In addition she gets fruit- strawberries, tomato (once a week), mango every other day mixed with some veggies- carrots (occasionally), zucchini, and mushrooms. Since the smell started we eliminated the spring mix for fear of spinach being in it, therefore causing the smell. The smell remains. Next we eliminated the mushrooms, and last the blueberries. None have been reintroduced. The smell remains.

She was soaked every other day anywhere from 20 min up to 1.5 hours (until she pooped), but since the smell we soak her everyday, usually for the same duration and until she poops. Her poop is normal. She has been well adjusted to the family change from the start. She's kind of like a dog and loves to hang out with the family. She doesn't hide out all day.

In addition to feeding protocol being the same, we have kept her habitat the same, right down to the arrangement of her bowls, etc. We wanted to make her transition as easy on her as possible. We know tortoises don't like change.

I think we will be calling the vet if we can't get this smell figured out. Thank you to everyone for trying to help us figure this out!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Does the tortoise have access to water or do you soak it frequently? Concentrated urine smells 'richer' than when a tortoise is well-hydrated.

RubyandSquirt

She has access to water and drinks regularly and goes in it often as well as her now daily soakings. Her substrate is actually what it's been for many years that was used by her previous owners... a turf, not carpet. It was recommended to them by the vet. We have had no problems with it, nor did they. Again, we've kept things the way they always were since they were working and we didn't want to introduce more change than a new family. She is an extremely healthy animal which is what is making this sudden occurrence so mysterious. We have a call in to the vet and are awaiting a response.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I'm not sure what a turf is in this context. I do know, having used all kinds of sub-optimal or bad substrates in the past, that the right substrate absorbs pee & odors. The shell can absorb odors, too, but the right substrate makes an incredible difference. Been there, smelled that. That's why I'm asking.

RubyandSquirt

I will look into other substrate. This had been working fine, but it might be time for a change.

RubyandSquirt

Talked to the vet. He said it's probably just something she's eating, and since it's normal in color and consistency he wouldn't worry. He wants me to try and get a sample to bring in so he can smell it, but he's confident it's nothing to worry about. I'm going back to her original diet. She was doing great on it so...

Thank you to everyone for your help and inquiries with this. If anything transpires from the urine sample, I will be sure to post about it!