Smell

Morgan6600

My tortoises poop is very green and liquid. I know this sounds nasty but it really is. We have only had him for 3 days so maybe he is just adjusting. Not really sure what it's supposed to look like. He also smells horrible, as I said we have only had him for 3 days so I don't think he should be able to stink up an entire room yet. We keep him in the basement so I know there is not too much ventilation down there but any suggestions for how to keep the stench down would be greatly appreciated. Lastly he was fed pellet food at the pet store and I bought the same kind thinking he would be slowly weened off of it, but I also put lettuce and celery in his bowl and that's all he eats. None of the pellet food has been touched, should I be worried it's too much change or is it ok? Thanks!

jockma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles County
Mine was the same (green diarrhea, bad smell) and he was in very poor physical health when I got him. The smell likely came from shell rot and internal issues such as a poor diet resulting in bacterial overgrowth.

Torts should definitely not smell so strong, I think the main concern here is finding out what is ailing your new tort and correcting it. I suggest getting a fecal sample and testing it. I'd also inspect the plastron for shell rot, advanced rot can smell pretty bad. There isn't really a way to reduce the odor until you treat the cause.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Also, what kind of tort did you get? Mine is a redfoot and was fed pet store pellets (the rainbow kind, is that what yours had?) and they'd refill it weekly and soak it in water so it had a thick film of mold on top. I think this is what caused his digestive system to get so messed up. I'd be glad yours is eating fresh food instead of pellets, honestly. If you want to feed pellets I'd go with Mazuri brand pellets over anything else.

I'd look for a caresheet on here for your species and feed the recommended diet. If you have a Russian tortoise you should feed mostly weeds like dandelion. Celery is pretty wet (so is lettuce) so it can cause diarrhea in species that are more accustomed to drier foods like weeds.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with above. Also a much better diet is in need here. Celery should not be fed and plain lettuce should not be fed on a regular basis. Get mustard greens, kale, endive ridicchio spring mix hibiscus flower and leaf, mulberry leaf, rose of Sharon flower and leaf , optunia cactus pads.
I can't really tell by your pic, is this a Russian?
Check out this site for more edible items http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/plant_database_14.asp

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Russian tortoise poop does seem to be a bit more disagreeable than other species' is. One way to firm it up is to feed more fiber. Fiber is grass and weeds, including the stems and veins. Sometimes Mazuri helps with a loose stool.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
My tortoises poop is very green and liquid. I know this sounds nasty but it really is. We have only had him for 3 days so maybe he is just adjusting. Not really sure what it's supposed to look like. He also smells horrible, as I said we have only had him for 3 days so I don't think he should be able to stink up an entire room yet. We keep him in the basement so I know there is not too much ventilation down there but any suggestions for how to keep the stench down would be greatly appreciated. Lastly he was fed pellet food at the pet store and I bought the same kind thinking he would be slowly weened off of it, but I also put lettuce and celery in his bowl and that's all he eats. None of the pellet food has been touched, should I be worried it's too much change or is it ok? Thanks!
A warm welcome to the forum!

I think it has something to do with your tort's diet.

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
Give more fibre to firm up his poop. Remove poop asap from enclosure or better still give bathe him for 20mins a day in warm but not hot water up to the level where his plastron and carpace meet. Bathing encourages the torts to poop and pee and helps to keep them hydrated. If he poops in his bath he wont be making his enclosure smelly and a daily bath should help to prevent him from getting smelly.
My Russians poop smells but neither he nor his enclosure do. He rarely poops there but always in his bath.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
People think "cheap" pets don't need vet care. They do. I would have a fecal sample done. Mainly to reduce/ eliminate any parasites. I worm new wc animals without a sample. You could do that as well. Panacur Plus.

I would also get probiotics. They help ensure healthy gut flora. Especially thru stress, diet changes and worming.

Last, I would pic a QUALITY pelleted food and use that, slowly weaning him from the old stuff. And I would stay away from food that would cause any diarrhea. He won't starve.

How is he currently doing?