Smart Extension Cord/Surge Protector... FAIL!!!

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
plug.jpg I got an add from Amazon a while ago for this device a while ago... the idea was that beyond being a multiple plug extension cord, it could also work with Alexa and an app for time and such... I thought I'd give it a try in my newest tortoise's enclosure (Nelson's).

We had a power outage yesterday, and while the power was out for nearly 12 hours, the house and torts were fine because we have a backup generator (which my office, where the torts all live, is wired to supply power to).

When I went to check on them in the morning, I was happy to feel the room still warm and humid and to see lights had come on automatically in three of the enclosures... not in Nelson's. The "smart" power strip had reset in the momentary power interruption, and by default did not come back on.

I switched out the clever cord for a more 'salt of the earth' variety, one that was perhaps a bit less intelligent, but harder working. Because of the ambient heat in the room, and lingering warmth in Nelson's enclosure, the temp never cycled down below 75, so I'm not worried, but I won't be using this product in any of my tort enclosures, and wanted to share the experience with TFO, in case anyone else was similarly tempted.

Jamie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't those surge protectors have a re-set button? It sounds to me as if it worked as it was supposed to.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Don't those surge protectors have a re-set button? It sounds to me as if it worked as it was supposed to.

The other ones I use do not "reset" in this manner when the power shifts from regular to backup... but I don't know.

Jamie

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Were the settings reset? or it just didn't resume the schedule after power came back on?

I think it's normal for digital/smart devices to not come back on after an outage, but that it should have resumed the schedule and come on at the next 'on' event the following morning.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Were the settings reset? or it just didn't resume the schedule after power came back on?

I think it's normal for digital/smart devices to not come back on after an outage, but that it should have resumed the schedule and come on at the next 'on' event the following morning.

The plug was entirely power-dead until I hit the reset button, which is unlike all of the other smart devices in my house, which all continue functioning during and after the power interruptions offset by our generator.

J

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
HAHA aout-correct. I told Alexa to turn off the Bathroom- she tells me I am adding milk to your shopping list. I know I mumble but HMMM Not so smart smart technology

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I had a "smart" radiant room heater that was like that. I'd set the timer and temperatures and all was good until the power went out one night for about 40 minutes. The thing factory reset any time power shut off, even for one second. That one immediately become a dust collector and I had to go looking for an older model that wasn't so "smart".

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I had a "smart" radiant room heater that was like that. I'd set the timer and temperatures and all was good until the power went out one night for about 40 minutes. The thing factory reset any time power shut off, even for one second. That one immediately become a dust collector and I had to go looking for an older model that wasn't so "smart".

Yup... I'll probably end up using this smart cord for less-critical duty in my office... it's nice to have lights come on and go off at my bidding, but if it doesn't work, nobody dies.

J

Kipley

Seattle, WA
I have my 2 Chameleons and a Bearded Dragon all set up with their basking and UVB lights on individual smart plugs. The on/off schedule is set by an app on my phone - is that how yours works? If there is a power interuption, they lose bluetooth connections and won't automatically reconnect. When this happens I have to manually reconect to bluetooth to resume the settings.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
My timers are old school mechanical with the adjustable time dial- not the little plugs in
3419_08d95d50a11068680995f5a6084a4d8d413a409f_original.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Electronics...
I bought all high tech, digital, multi day timers for my Chameleons only to find that each time we lose power....
And that happens a few times a week...
All of the timers lose their pre sets.
I don't know what you guys are using. I've been using smart timers for over 4 years now. Have over 50 various things from kitchen lights, pool water fall, all enclosure lights, entire sprinkler system, etc, etc. all on smart timers. Have had several power failures in that time frame. Have unplugged and moved several smart powerstrips. Never had one fail. All worked right on schedule when power was restored without any need to reset.

I love them and their ease of use. I like being able to check what's on or off from anywhere in the world with an internet connection. I like being able to tell Alexa to "turn on the bar light, or the pool waterfall, or TV backlight." Or simply say, "Alexa Good Night" while lying in bed and have all the lights turn off.

I don't think I'm just lucky as it isn't just one or two. With over 50 and for this long I think I have a good "test" base.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
I don't know what you guys are using. I've been using smart timers for over 4 years now. Have over 50 various things from kitchen lights, pool water fall, all enclosure lights, entire sprinkler system, etc, etc. all on smart timers. Have had several power failures in that time frame. Have unplugged and moved several smart powerstrips. Never had one fail. All worked right on schedule when power was restored without any need to reset.

I love them and their ease of use. I like being able to check what's on or off from anywhere in the world with an internet connection. I like being able to tell Alexa to "turn on the bar light, or the pool waterfall, or TV backlight." Or simply say, "Alexa Good Night" while lying in bed and have all the lights turn off.

I don't think I'm just lucky as it isn't just one or two. With over 50 and for this long I think I have a good "test" base.
I’m with ya! I also have multiple smart plugs, smart surge protectors, bulbs, switches, etc that I’ve been using for a few years and never had one fail me yet either. They retain their settings if moved or during an outage. Just as you pointed out, the ease of being able to control everything remotely or via Alexa/Google...it just can’t be beat. Almost all of my smart stuff is from the brand Teckin on Amazon. Excellent quality and very reasonable prices.